1. This Software is no longer supported by us. Please download the new motion control software SimTools.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  4. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  5. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

USO just stops working?

Discussion in 'Force-Profiler Simulator Control' started by Frakk, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I started having problems with the USO and keeping it sending data.

I have tried two different USB-Serial adapters, both with the same results. I start sending data, Profiler is running, I see data transmit LED on the adapter flash - no problems.

As soon as I apply 12V to the circuit, profiler stops like I pressed the stop button, sometimes it sends data for a bit, then stop. If I try to Start again, Profiler will show it is running with the big red Stop button, but there is no data being sent. I have to unplug it from the USB, and only this time I get the error: Error writing on serial port COM4, even when I have the profiler stopped. It seems like it thinks data is still being transmitted, but there is nothing coming out.

I am monitoring the adapter in Device Manager also and it only disconnects when I unplug it. It seems like a hardware issue, but connection is not lost to the adapter and I know they work properly.

Any advice or methods to try would be appreciated.
  2. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I just noticed when the transmission stops, the USO engine output drops from 100 (10ms delay) to 28-30. This is while the profiler is stopped and start button is green. If I start it again, USO engine output remains the same, but I notice the Synaptrix output raise from 0 to 100.

Now I have tried with 2 adapters, 2 circuits (proto board and soldered), and no change. The transmission cuts off usually when I connect the 12V supply, but sometimes works for a bit.
  3. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If its FTDI based adapter, try enabling the Serial Printer option...

Also be sure you have common grounds tied toggether!

I hope that helps

Thanos
  4. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tip, but it doesn't matter if I click the option or not. Of course grounds are connected..

I suspect some sort of power supply issue, but I don't know what else I could do. The FTDI modules run on their own isolated power supply from the USB port, the rest of the circuit is connected to 12V and a regulated 5V from it. The 12V supply doesn't even go on the microcontroller's board, only the regulated 5V. Everything is decoupled properly and all grounds common.

For some reason communication is lost and sometimes I notice in the Device Manager that the COM port disappears. This only happens when I apply 12V, or put load on the circuit.
  5. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    This sounds somewhat like a windows delay and resulting hardware timeout. To prove the theory, you could set the FTDI timeout setting to the highest possible value and see if it helps. If it does, then we can start down the path of improving Windows / Profiler performance.

In a few rare cases, I saw similar behavior on extremely low memory single processor machines.
  6. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    It did help with the FT232R based module a little bit, but the problem still exists. I tried it up to 5000ms time out. If 5 seconds is not helping, I don't think 10 seconds will be any better.

I will try it from a 12V battery instead of a supply. Maybe it will help..
  7. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I was right. With a 12V battery I get no disconnections, everything works reliably.