1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Usb arduino/ g29 conflict

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by #Sv91, Jan 23, 2020.

1. #Sv91

#Sv91 New Member

Balance:
    55Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hello all!

I am currently building a 2 dof + traction loss motion sim.
    All in all it is almost ready.
    I will soon post a thread about my build.

But for now I have the following problem,

When I plug in my logitech steering wheel in the pc the motion Sim stops working and Smc3 will crash.

Seems like some kind of conflict to me but I cant figure it out alone.

The one time I did get it working the input from the g29 was vibrating just like the motors in neutral position.

I am using:

Arduino uno (original) on a powered USB hub.
    With smc-sps-softstart on it.

2x32 sabertooth
    2x Eaton 10k pots
    2x 24v wiper engines

1x siemens 24v 5a power supply
    Also tried a 12v psu

Tnx in advantage.
  2. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I don’t know if Windows will assign the same port to two different devices but I have had to modify port assignments for an Arduino before. There are how to pages on the web.

You can use device manager to see what ports are assigned to what to see if somehow they got doubled up.

Maybe assignments changed after some upgrade and Sim Tools is pointing at the wrong devices now? What changed between when things worked to when they stopped working?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. #Sv91

#Sv91 New Member

Balance:
    55Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF

I have just found the problem
    I did not properly ground the wiper motors. My whole frame has 6v on it also affecting the steering wheel

Thank you Zed
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Ah! Glad you found it. Those can be very vexing problems that aren’t always straight up to find.

Wiper motors almost need a checklist before powering them up. People have toasted a lot of equipment with them.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1