1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Undergraduate ME Capstone Project

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by John Voth, Jul 21, 2017.

1. John Voth

John Voth New Member

Balance:
    152Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Yes @noorbeast the foot pedal is adjustable and that is one of the few things we still have to dimension. We'll take a look at where a full downwards heave places the pedal and adjust accordingly.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. John Voth

John Voth New Member

Balance:
    152Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    We slightly updated the design using SolidWorks of our upper platform, which will be made out of aluminum. We also added some holes for bolts.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. John Voth

John Voth New Member

Balance:
    152Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Most of the aluminum we ordered came in, so that means we can finally get to building! Here's a few things we've cut so far. We'll start assembling the upper platform this upcoming week.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  4. staticshock

staticshock New Member

Balance:
    86Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hello all, I am one of the members of John's team.
    We have decided to use Sabertooth 2x60 drives and we have access to 24V DC permanent magnet motors (about 30 of them lol, although we are trying to figure out more of the specifications). I have also been researching Thanos' AMC controllers, but I believe we will stick with Arduinos because of the technical issues users were having with the PID loops and such. We also have 2 Interstate 12V car batteries (picture attached) which I believe have around 50Ah, but this is not specified on Interstate's websites. We will probably be using these for the regenerative current from the Sabertooths if I understand correctly.

Additionally, I have some questions:
    Is there a reason we cannot use 1 Arduino Mega to replace the 3 Arduinos needed to control the 3 Sabertooths?
    We still need to purchase PSUs to power the Sabertooths. Do we need 24V 60A PSUs for each Sabertooth?

We appreciate any input!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. John Voth

John Voth New Member

Balance:
    152Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Thanks for posting @staticshock ! Our team has been working hard these past few days updating the SolidWorks model with reasonable places to insert hardware, like our bolts, nuts, and screws. We are not exactly sure which quality of hardware to use. Do any of you have specific information or recommendations for us? The upper platform will mostly be made of aluminum, while the lower platform is almost all steel.
  6. John Voth

John Voth New Member

Balance:
    152Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Our SolidWorks model has been updated. We redesigned the lower platform (made of steel), added our specific motors, an armrest, a yoke, and a throttle. We also included manufacturing details, such as bolt holes, mending plates, and then added plexiglass encasing for cosmetics and a place to house electronics. Our next design concern is finding a way to make the lower platform somewhat disassemble-able because it's bigger than the door of the room we intend to place it in. We're talking it out as a team. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

7. John Voth

John Voth New Member

Balance:
    152Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    And we've been manufacturing our simulator! Take a look at the upper platform, made out of aluminum, which has almost been completed. The first of these 4 pictures displays the whole upper platform. Note that we've only attached a few of the upper rods because they're pain to put on. Also, see the chair in the back left. The next two pictures show mending plates on the triangles of the upper platform. The last picture shows a more detailed view of a heim joint attached with the misalignment spacers.

Attached Files:

8. John Voth

John Voth New Member

Balance:
    152Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    And finally for this update, we've also bought and roughly cut our steel. These steel channels will be used in our bottom platform, welded together and affixed with a black plexiglass on the outside.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1