1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom Tube Steel DIY Build

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by FourOff, Jan 11, 2021.

1. FourOff

FourOff New Member

Balance:
    47Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    After some testing, I found the mount for the shifter was not sturdy enough and would shake around quite a bit from side to side (especially in something a bit more vigorous, like rally). The "arm" was held to the frame with two M8 bolts, but without a lot of vertical support, there was enough flex in the metal and nuts that it would sway side-to-side.

While I was hacking up the support arm I decided to redesign the QR mount for the shifter/joystick, making it drop in vertically instead of horizontally, hopefully providing a bit more support to reduce movement.
    IMG_2443.jpg
    The Fanatec bolt hole templates were nice to use, allowing me to cut them up and tape together how I wanted the shifter and handbrake to sit. I also decided to switch my handbrake from vertical to horizontal, making the mount design a bit simpler and less prone to flexing. The paper templates made it easy to determine tube length, cut angles, and where the holes needed to be.
    IMG_2444.jpg

IMG_2445.jpg

For the support bracket, I simply added 45-degree leg to give it some lateral stability.
    IMG_2441.jpg

Here's with a coat of paint and the QR pin. The bracket for the shifter/joystick simply drops in from the top.
    IMG_2630.jpg
    • Like Like x 1