1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tronic's proportional servo motor control with basic stamp

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by tronicgr, Aug 4, 2007.

1. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here is a small preview of how is going to be the AVR motion controller board:

[​IMG]

Cheers, Thanos
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Great work!

But please keep in mind, that your layouts are only usable for us, if you provide us etchable versions ;)

Your last layouts misses them, still.

Thanks in advance
    ego
  3. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes I didn't provide echable layout because I'm still in the design process. What I give here is a preview of how is going to look my new motion controller... I'll make a full presentation of it as soon as I finish the physical building it and programming it.

Here is a little more improved design than the previous one:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]AVRmotionsimulatorcontroller1_1.pdf (77.6 KB)

I post these in order to see any comments or requests on its features so I can change them now that its still in the design process. So If is any request on what you wish this board to have, you can ask them here.

The major features are:

-Selectable communication baud (via jumper)
    -LCD support (with menu for settings, monitoring, etc)
    -User input by simple Sony Ir remote
    -Four potentiometers that sets the max travel angle and the proportional speed.

Regards, Thanos
  4. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    As Thanos started to make a completely new and amazing DIY motor control interface, which uses an AVR controller instead of the basic stamp, I splitted this thread at this point, in order to keep a better overview.

The new thread can be found here:
    http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/tronics ... -t559.html

regards
    ego
  5. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Hi,

Just wanted to note, that this basic-stamp hardware setup with Thanos firmware is a fully operational and ready to go system.

This setup is the one you can see moving his joyrider in the youtube vids!

So everyone can start to build a simulator with this interface and driver setup and a pair of wiper motors, and could replace the interface with Thanos new DIY interface when it is finished.

Gentlemen, start your engines and build your simulator frames!

regards
    ego
  6. Alle

Alle Member

Balance:
    283Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi Ego,

I'm working at this basic stamp setup right now.
    I have all items needed at home right now.
    In the meanwhile I'm building the joyrider frame with Thanos modifications.

I hope to post the finished work asap ( I suppose end of next february).

Regards,

Alle
  7. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
  8. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I repaired some issues I have seen in this old BS2 motion interface and added PCB layouts for the boards in case you want to etch them...!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]bs2interface13.pdf (170.33 KB)

[​IMG]bs2interface1_3_bottom_only.pdf (41.99 KB)

And a small surprise... I decided to give the code of the old BS2 interface as open-source since I have no more time to do adjusts in the code for others. The code contains detailed comments so anyone can figure it out easily.

[​IMG]BS2_interface_v1_1_HB25_open_source.zip (2.91 KB)

Thanos
  9. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Thanks to share it with us. I hope reading your code will help me to get a little closer into coding and how such a code to control servos is structured in general. The bascom code seems similar to purebasic, which I am learning right now ;)

ego
  10. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Hi Thanos,

thanks in name of the whole community for the code. Maybe, some members will use that piece of code for further developments.

regards René
  11. Alle

Alle Member

Balance:
    283Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much Thanos.

I will get a look into the code asap.
    Regarding the board, I would like to use the BOE breadbord if there is enought space...

Regards,
    Alle
  12. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  13. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Thank you for your efforts Thanos! :gut:

ego
  14. lamealot

lamealot New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi all, i hope someone is still subscribed to this thread. Last year I began creating a motion sim starting with the fabrication but am now stuck with the motor drive section :sos:

The first attempt has been with Ian's Built for Fun which seems good but I need a hardware solution that does not require soldering kits together etc. The sim is basically 2DOF (pitch/roll) driven by 2 x 24v DC motors with 10k pots for signal return.
    I recently looked at the Link2FS system at Jimspages.co.nz which seems simple enough only requiring the KT5198 and VM110 boards but the software seemed to lack G force effect :eek:

So in brief, the question is what hardware do i need to at least run the Built for Fun software and if lucky maybe get some RFactor in with the deal also. The efforts of Thanos look superb but it is confusing? Where is the AVR motion interface that is mentioned on his site?

Any help appreciated
    Chris
  15. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Chris,

Strange name you chosen... :lol: Anyway, welcome to our forum.

With my electronics (AMC1.5 & DSMhb1.2b) you can use both Ian's BFF driver and X-sim Profiler2 motion software as its compatible with both!

My electronics solution is not a ready commercial product that you can buy off a stores self BUT a DIY construction kit... I only provide the PCB plans, the list of materials, the firmware code for the microcontroller and some instructions to assemble it and use it. Its your effort to gather the materials and fabricate (or order) the PCB boards.

The AMC1.5 is the main motion controller board that processes the serial data and drives the PWM signals that needed from an h-bridge motor driver.
    link: tronic-s-amc-motor-motion-controller-with-pwm-servo-output-t559.html

The DSMhb1.2b is a Mosfet Motor driver board that can handle 24V motors more cheap than most commercial motor drivers.
    link: tronic-s-diy-dual-mosfet-h-bridge-dsmhb-t820.html

Regards, Thanos
  16. lamealot

lamealot New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mr Thanos thank you for replying. Well that seems too easy, maybe my head was confusing the issue more than it actually is.

Getting that printed is not a problem because a good friend of mine runs an electronics assembly company in Brighton UK. He can source the PCB print service and do the assembly no problem. last year i worked with him to create a tiny GPS tracker that went brilliant. He required Gerber files , ermm? dunno

Anyway, if you are sure your design is pukka then i will be happy to send this to the factory for a print and assembly. When printing the boards it is financially practical to print more than one board, maybe 6 - 10 units. Only to assemble 1 or 2 but nice to have a stash of boards there just in case. What is your situation regarding this design and board supply? Are you working from prototype pcb or did you go the full course. I ask this because it would be my pleasure to have 2 assembled and send you the other. Maybe you would like the other un-assembled boards too.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I will attempt to use a ready made controller instead of printing the motor driver to save cost

Going to look at the files now

thanks
    Chris
  17. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Chris,

I have posted Gerber files too (somewhere in the last posts...).

No need to send me anything. I have ordered the PCB boards from etching services (Heinz and ExpressPCB). Below is a photo of my DSMhb1.2b beside some boards of the latest gem of DIY motor controllers, the HPMhb-150A !!!!!
    PICT2570sm.jpg
    PICT2572sm.jpg

The HPMHb-150A is the successor of the old DSMhb1.2b, that will support motors up to 150Ampere rated and true 49V capability, plus it has extra current and temperature watchdog circuit. This was designed mostly by R-eng with my guidance.

Be aware that the commercial motor drivers that are compatible with my AMC1.5 are NOT capable of driving 24V motors!!!! BTW can you give more information for your 24V motors? What Watt / Ampere are rated?

And better start a thread for your simulator, so you can have all relative posts gathered there!

Regards, Thanos
  18. lamealot

lamealot New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes thanks i see the Gerber files but the parts list will be a problem, it is a bit too vague. For my last project i was required to provide a complete bill of materials with Mouser/Digikey part numbers at least. As you already have some etched boards, would it not be feasable for you to sell me a unit? This would save me about £500 of money i dont really have on printing and assembly. There would be no risk on your behalf, I would send you the money in any fasion you like and grit my teeth waiting for the board to arrive.

My motors are simply 24v DC 80w similar to wiper motors. Maybe they are wiper motors not sure but they look exactly the same as the motor images i see you use in your diagrams. I am only familiar with the MD03 (i2c) type motor drivers so will need to look into this later.

btw, what is the deal with the car battery in your setup. There are plenty of good 12vdc converters out there.

thanks
    Chris
  19. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Chris,

Those boards, are for my own use and cannot sell them. Its much trouble for me to order them again... There are some future projects that I would need them. And I don't have all the material available right now, I'll have them gathered as soon as I need them, later... :no:

For your motors, the DSMhb1.2b is enough!

Regards, Thanos
  20. lamealot

lamealot New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok Thanos thanks, I am feeling brave so will send this gerber off for printing next week. Parts wise I now see youor pdf with pictures and stuff which is better. Most of it is self explanatory but there will be size issues with components such as the DC socket. Luckily the design is not mostly SMT which caused me to get problems last time around.

Anyways, off i go and will make my own post to share my crazy sim design with all and hope you will pop by to help pull the board together when the moment arises :cheers:

Chris