1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tronic's DIY dual Mosfet H-bridge (DSMhb)

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by tronicgr, Dec 30, 2007.

1. kevinket

kevinket New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This PWM board is now available on the Jameco Electronics website.
    https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/store ... _120539_-1

Specifications:
    PWM range: 0 to 100%
    PWM frequency: 100Hz to 5kHz (adjustable)
    Operating voltage: 8 to 35VDC
    Minimum consumption: 35mA
    Maximum output current 6.5A
    Efficiency: better than 90% at full load
    Adjustable sensitivity: 2.5 to 35VDC
    Size: 3.3L x 1.9W x 1.8H
    Weight: 0.5 lbs.

Would there be any way to implement these with your AVR motion controller? - more importantly, would it be practical to use these?

They are $25 (US) each.
  2. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    Houdiniact,
    You dont need the the 2x50 Sabertooth, the 2x25 is fine it has I quote from the site Peak currents of 50A per channel are achievable for a few seconds. which is all you'll need. I doubt your motors will even be hitting close to 40amps for a few seconds. I think you will be quite surprised by the power and torque of motors that are 11amp 24volt.
    Simon UKs project is most like yours link here : http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/start-of-a-joyrider-based-simulator-t1804.html have a read of his project it seams pretty powerful to me 180w motors at 12v.
    Theres also the massive price difference you will save.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -0
    Dear Tanos:

it seams that you are almost the soul of this site, its been months since i dream about constructing your model using a joiryder.... but... i am a manager guy, not electronics at all.... i was just wondering... why dont you give us a big smile to all us... why dont you sell us kit... almost everyone can solder, but finding the parts and constructing the pcb's is a huge barrier... maybe if you sell a electronic parts kit, including the printed circuit bord.... you could do some extra money and a lot of us could have a nice pice of art like the ones you show....

please, drop me a line just to know you received the message

fernando from mexico
  4. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, I just moved to California. It might take some time to settle but already have a kit (electronics) going on. Details will be available soon!

Thanos
  5. kevinket

kevinket New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the west coast Thanos - I'm just up the coast from you, in Oregon.
  6. Reksoprodjo

Reksoprodjo New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi All, Noob here, first of all I apologize for my grammar and I want to congratulate of Mr Tanos's new place.

I want to go back to see the basic of making simulator with the least possible cost and maintenance as low as possible. Based on the dual mosfet h bridge's schematic and the output of AMC board, this equipment has 2 inputs to run and reverse the motor direction and 1 input to supply the PWM.

( I apologize IF this idea has been in discussed ... please show me the thread ) I think to use 2 DPDT relay to replace the MOSFET and remains 1 FET as a PWM voltage supply.

there may be from the experts who've tried it, I am waiting for your suggestions.
    Regards, :cheers:

Attached Files:

7. rommmer

rommmer New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This Single Hbridge version of Thanos's hbridge is just what I was looking for. I'd like to make a few modifications. DJ Dicksy, Do you have the expressSCH schematic for your single bridge expressPCB board? the .sch file? That would make my life easier!
    Thanks for posting.
  8. dj dicksy

dj dicksy New Member

Balance:
    340Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hope this file will help you.

Attached Files:

9. MajorClod

MajorClod New Member

Balance:
    - 14Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    What are the key things I should be looking at when attempting to Substitute different mosfets.

Obvious ones are:
    Channels
    Form Factor
    Max Continuous Drain Current
    Max Drain Source Voltage
    Max Gate Source Voltage

How important is:
    Drain Source resistance
    Turn off Delays
    Turn on Delays
    Fall Time
    Rise Time
  10. petteriu

petteriu New Member

Balance:
    - 40Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just about to order PCB's and want to make it perfect the first time:
    There doesn't seem to be solder mask for bottom layer in that file, only for top. Now this is likely intentional and OK to use as it is, since, to my knowledge, nobody has mentioned this before. If i've understood the function of solder mask correctly, bottom layer traces are now left exposed to air and flux, although easier to build up thickness of high current traces.
    Wouldn't it be beneficial to add solder mask to bottom layer too, including/(ecluding?) pads and areas/traces that need to be built-up ? Or am i just missing the point here ?
    Already made the exercise to add those using text editor, but don't want to send in my modified files until i know for sure they are OK to use.

Petteri
  11. Kampfwurst

Kampfwurst New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello

I am from Germany. I need a dual Mosfet H-bridge for a small projekt. My Input is 24V. Each engine needs about 7A at 18V.
    So I found this thread.
    My questions.
    Is there a Schematic file ( EAGLE, Sprint Layout ...) from the H Bridge (DSMhb 1.2b ) from Page 6?

Greets Chris
  12. Kampfwurst

Kampfwurst New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can I use the Layout for my 24V Output.
    And for what are the ZN15V Diodes on the Layout.
  13. xtech007

xtech007 Member

Balance:
    22Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi forum,
    I have read most of this forum and I have not run across a block diagram of Thanos dual H-bridge.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction!
    Once again thank you for you time!
  14. Gelete31

Gelete31 New Member

Balance:
    - 47Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,
    long ago I started building my simulator with manuals and the information you have here.
    everything was fine until it came time to test ...
    I have the system with two wiper motors, the problem comes with the bridge thanos h.
    burns my mosfets. at first I thought it was due to poor refrigeration, but when i change the cooling system of the mosfet, burn the tracks on the n-channel source.
    Engines have a consumption of 3.5 amps spinning alone. but I guess it must be loaded by the 12 or 14 amps.
    the truth that I have this crazy, because I have changed several times every mosfets thinking that there was a mistake, but no solution.
    because is this happening?
    error can come avr controller?

I await your answers to see if you help me.
    Thank you so much
  15. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Its just a thought regarding wiper motors, they may be using more than 12-14 amps. Mine did when I had them, they ran more like 18 amps continuous and 22 amps peak on BIG motion changes.
    Most people, including myself , miss the fact that the rated current draw of a motor on a simulator is irrelevant. They are getting smashed back and forth quickly , so they would need a lot of current to do that.
    This may be an issue as well , if you are overloading mosfets.
    It may be the board set up as well.
  16. Gelete31

Gelete31 New Member

Balance:
    - 47Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi again!
    I have two small wiper motors, just a hyundai atos and do not know if it will be the cause
    had thought that the problem would be in the controller firmware, because I think more than 5v coming to the MOSFET. what happens is that I can not check since I have no osciolscope.
    firmware may be the wrong posted to my controller?
    I had for 18,432 MHz crystal
    I used this file: download/file.php?id=613 ​​
    thanks again
  17. estanislaolopez

estanislaolopez Member

Balance:
    18Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimforceGT
    Hello Galete, check these two things,
    - the mosfet are IRLZ44
    - the ground from the motors are isolated
    I do not think the problem comes from the firmware ...

Regards
  18. Gelete31

Gelete31 New Member

Balance:
    - 47Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi again,
    Thanks for you reply,
    Well, I have been using IRFZ44N, I tested with IRFZ48N. But with similar results.
    respect to the ground from the motors are connected the wires directly to the brushes.
    I have not tried the IRLZ44 , but I will try to find out where the error may be.
    I have little hope that the fault is
    best regards
  19. estanislaolopez

estanislaolopez Member

Balance:
    18Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimforceGT
    Change the MOSFET by IRLZ44, are logical level, and will solve your problem

Regards
  20. Gelete31

Gelete31 New Member

Balance:
    - 47Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will try changing IRLZ44, but does not give me much hope of solving it.
    on Cooling operation, holds up well as explained in the tutorial?
    I've also re-flash the AVR with another firmware (18. crystal)
    Thanks again