1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tronic's DIY dual Mosfet H-bridge (DSMhb)

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by tronicgr, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The IRFZ44N is still a regular transistor, in this case makes no difference to use the IRF44 or the IRF44N.

The IRLZ44N is the logic level mosfet Thanos is referring to. Notice the L for logic (5V) instead of the F.
  2. banquer

banquer New Member

Balance:
    370Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What is the correct one?
    IRLZ44N or IRFZ44N?
    King regards!
  3. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The original one is the IRFZ44N, which is a mistake in that circuit. You will need logic level mosfets on the low side and replace the IRFZ44N with IRLZ44N, which is logic level.
  4. banquer

banquer New Member

Balance:
    370Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are there many changes to the original design not posted in the first page?
    I mean other than the irfl44n ones...
    I'm going crazy with my AMC and H-Bridge.
    King regards.
  5. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You are not the first, nor the last one. :D Welcome the world of DIY.

Change the mosfets, everything else should be fine.
  6. benefie

benefie New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone,
    i have question about the Mosfets. I already read, that i have to use the IRLZ44N instead of the IRFZ ones, but it seems that every german shop (online and offline :( ) ran out of them. I already checked for alternatives and found the IRLZ 34N. The only difference seems to be the drain current, which is only 21 ampere instead of 41. Will it work? (I think the max current isnt going to be a problem, because I dont want to use the bridge to run the wipermotors)

Another one i found was the IRLZ 44ZPBF but i couldnt find a datasheet and therefore more details about it... found it here: https://www.distrelec.com/ishopWebF...1&node=DC-71275&artView=true&productNr=605380

Which one would you recommend, or should i use something complete different one.
    All the other parts are already delivered, just these FETs are missing, and they're arent going in stock til august. I cant wait that long :(

Hope someone can help!

greets

Bene
  7. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Any logic level MOSFET will work, as long as the specs meet your needs. If you don't need 50A continuous then you can use lower current ones.
    The IRLZ 44Z PBF is going to be perfectly fine (it is pretty much the same as the IRLZ 44N) and the IRLZ 34N as well. Make sure the 3 legs match the connections to the circuit, other than that you don't have to worry about too much.
  8. Landkrabba

Landkrabba Live 'n' Kickin'

Medical engineer
    Balance:
    34Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, SimforceGT
    I've just completed the H-Bridge and have some questions. My AMC is working fine and I can control it from the Xsim-software.

Just for testing I have a 3V DC-motor and a 3V power source(2 batteries). Is this enough to see if it runs? The cable between the AMC and the H-Bridge is connected. I have tried to run it but nothing happens, no leds are lit at all... :?
  9. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Why didn't you try if the led's light up with 12V?
  10. Landkrabba

Medical engineer
    Balance:
    34Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Due to the lack of a 12 Volt power source... I try to find something more powerful tomorrow! :bulboff:

The question still remains, is 3 Volt enough to power thew H-bridge just for testing? What's the minimum voltage for the H-bridge?
  11. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    3V is not enough. In order for the P-ch mosfets to operate properly you need at least 10V. Anything below that will be inefficient and cause more heat.

I hope you are using logic level mosfets for the low side! If you don't know what I am talking about, please read after it instead of asking because it has been discussed about 10 times, only on this forum even in this very same topic on the prev. pages.
  12. Landkrabba

Medical engineer
    Balance:
    34Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ah, thanks! I'm using IRLZ44N mosfets instead of the IRFZ44N mosfets. Sometimes it's alot faster to ask then search and read hundreds of pages! Next time I will read alot before asking... :Einstein:
  13. Landkrabba

Medical engineer
    Balance:
    34Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I have tested the H-bridge with a 12 volt power source, a power window motor and 5A fuse, it works without any problem at all! :clap:
  14. maiconcrespo

maiconcrespo New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys, i have some dudes...someone can place a list of components what is definitive for the moment because i wnt buy its. and that works. thanks
  15. obisk

obisk New Member

tot suchen hier im forum
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hallllooo :)

Hi guys, i have some dudes...someone can place a list of components what is definitive for the moment because i wnt buy its. and that works. thanks
  16. masutti

masutti New Member

Balance:
    4Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all!

Tronic, i would like to reproduce your h-bridge and PWM modules. I' trying do make an rotation sim with car starter motors who have great current peaks. I would like to know if you have this h-bridge board sprint reinforced to send me. I want to make it with the silkscreen method, so i need the negative sprint layout for the h-bridge and the pwm module. So, the sprints must be white so the light can sensibilise it.

Thanks for the help.

Jefferson Masutti
  17. tetesim

tetesim New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi thano

I have a problem : I have used the H-bridge with 12V (60W) wiper motors and All is OK !
    I have changed wiper motors : 24V (120W) and I naturally have changed my power supply : i use S-350-24V : the output of the motor is about 0 Volt and when I move the slide of xsim the voltange is ever abot 0 volt.
    I have tried to power with 12V and 12V wiper motor and All is OK!!
    Perhaps I must change something in H-bridge circuit ?

regards tetesim!
  18. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think I have killed my h-bridge, and instead of a lot of troubleshooting i consider building a complete new one as i have a pcb for it. I can get most of the parts from futurelec, but they dont have 100uf 65v capasitors. Can i use 100uf 100v? I can get all the other parts there. The resistors: They have 150ohm (partlist says 160) and 3,3kohm (list says 3.6) Is it close enough or must I add another in series to make right value. I can get the complete lisf from tex digikey, but that is twice the price!

Fred
  19. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You can use all those parts you listed.
  20. fermevc

fermevc Member

Networking and telecomunication
    Balance:
    5,956Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    I`m on to building Thanos`s boards finally :)
    Collected all the data, created the part lists (everything is available locally for around 50 euros which is fairly cheap - AMC parts and LCD included), read all the posts again, and I have just one question:
    When I look at DSMhb pcb in opening post, I see that one side of schottky diodes (ones marked with D on pcb) are not connected at all.
    I don`t say that this is an error, but would like to know why it`s like that?
    If I didn`t saw it correctly, please point out where to connect the other end.

Thanks in advance, and hope to post my progress shortly :)

EDIT: Sorry for asking obvious, I carefully checked the board and I can see the connection :yes: