1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tronic's DIY dual Mosfet H-bridge (DSMhb)

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by tronicgr, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Jeroen

Jeroen Member

Balance:
    - 33Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hi,

Shame on me... the wire with the pwm signal to the h-bridge got loose. :(

So now I finally can build further...

gr. Jeroen
  2. AaronMR

AaronMR New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm trying to simulate the circuit to power the engines in Proteus, does anyone have the complete circuit diagram?
  3. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Never had to make complete schematic... I designed it directly into PCB !!!!

But here you can find complete schematic in two parts:
    simple_hbridge_schematic.pdf
    PWM_to_simple_hbridge_dual_sch.pdf

Thanos
  4. AaronMR

AaronMR New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok, thanks you, i will try to do the complete scheme with the image from pcb.
  5. Kenoby

Kenoby New Member

Balance:
    4Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ciao a tutti.
    La seconda parte di quello che scrivo, in inglese, è stata tradotta dal traduttore automatico google perchè non conosco bene l'inglese, è da un mese che seguo questo forum e vorrei contrire pure io il simulatore.
    Da quello che ho visto in questo post si parla della parte finale dell' impianto, è possibile avere uno schema completo di tutte le parti del tronic's.
    Grazie

Hello to all.
    The second part of what I write in English, was translated by google translator because I do not know English well, is a month that I follow this forum and I also stated I would like the simulator.
    From what I saw in this post we talk about the final part of 'facility, you can have a complete diagram of all parts of tronic's.
    Thank you
  6. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,962 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
  7. dallaby

dallaby New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Thanos, not sure if you remember me but I had talked with you a few months ago while having problems getting the H-bridge to work with my arduino.. I took some time away from this project but came back to it recently. I spent ALOT of time reading about mosfets and circuits and came to the conclusion that the problems I was having with overheating and extremely slow reaction time of the h-bridge was due to the fact that the irf44z mosfets weren't turning on properly.. The short answer was that I swapped them for irL44z's(logic level) mosfets.. I am extremely pleased to say that it is now working absolutely perfectly.. So finally I say thanks for taking the time to design this great motor driver and I look forward to the next version..
  8. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hmm... IRL44z ???? Never knew that such part existed before!!! Sounds interesting! Any link to its datasheet??? I'm interested in some numbers....

Thanos
  9. Senetor

Senetor Member

Balance:
    594Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  10. R-eng

R-eng Member

Balance:
    28Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The big difference between the MOSFET are the Vgs and Vgs(th) specs. The F is +/-20V and 2-4V respectively. The L is +/-10V and 1-2V respectively. I had been using the L in my DSMhb since the beginning because of availability. For the most part this has proven to be just as effective. But if pushing the board to it's max. limits, the lower Vgs may become an issue.

R-eng
  11. SimonUK

SimonUK Member

Electronic Engineer
    Balance:
    705Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Hi guys,

What is the maximum power motor that the DSMhb can drive? I have seen a 12V, 180 Watts motor used for electric golf trolleys.

Would it be able to handle this?

Cheers,
    Simon
  12. nocipoci

nocipoci New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Thanos,

Because I want to order the simple H bridge pcb, but I have to fill in the exact dimensions of the pcb when I order.
    Are they 130 x 95 mm ??

TIA
  13. erichans

erichans New Member

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Thanos,

Been trying to get this info to you for some time, but no luck with Email and PM.
    So here goes. I have a friend very savvy with VB, and requested help with what you required above. He said he would be happy to help if he could, and requested the details of exactly what you require.

If you send these to me, I will forward. FWIW, something may come of it.

Regards, Erich.
  14. Pho3NiX

Pho3NiX New Member

Balance:
    5Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone
    I've been following the discution about the new H bridge and I'm verry interested
    In fact since I've not see any schema i've decided to try to jump in hte wagon and design one.
    However I warn you, normaly I'm more on the mechanical side of thing than electricity ...
    hopefully someone here migth help to figure out the electrical detail ...

I'm trying to design a low cost board for electric wheelchair motor 20V 70A peek with enougth room for back emf
    For that design I'll suppose that the FET are at 100°C and the ambiant temperature and every other componment is 50°

After searching for the rigth switching element I ended up on IRFP2907Z
    * TO-247 Package have half the termal resitance of TO-220 (and 1.5 time the physical size)
    * VDSS = 75V
    * RDS = 4.5 mOhms
    * Id = 90A
    * Automotive grade:
    * Even if they are only rated at 90A if you look at the detail it's a constant 90A PACKAGE LIMITED until 135°
    * In general they seem very hard to kill

And this is the mosfet driver I endend choosing: A3941
    * Include all the H bridge logic for diferent mode (see my schema)
    * Include onboard 5V and 13V regultor, charge pump etc for 100% PWM
    * Work from 7 to 55V (actually this is what limit the upper voltage)
    * Surface mount only :(

Everything is isolated using an opto isolator but I have added a 6N137 for PWM signal because the opto isolator was the switch frequency limiting part of the board wich i find sort of break the point to having those high quality FET

------

Basically I'm not sure about the value for the passive arround the bridge and the supply protection.
    I'll also gladly welcome any comment on the design of this brige (it's my first try to design one)
    Finally I'm seeking for any part I can safely remove to diminish the cost / complexity

(honestly I do not care that much about the cost but I migth end up using this for a school project and need to keep an eye on cost reduction, and it's nice if it's easier to build)

The current design is a mix between osmc, some reverse engeenered part from tronic pcb image, and the idea to reduce cost/different part while keeping a high power / safe driver.

Hopefully some of those idea migth help you on one of your design :p

------

I've included a schema and a digikey part list
    (It's my first schema with eagle so there's probably many error, like to much different scale.. but it's ok with pdf.. just zoom :) )

------

Finaly some interesting links
    http://focus.ti.com/lit/ml/slup169/slup169.pdf
    http://www.fairchildsemi.com/an/AB/AB-9.pdf
    http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/mosfet.pdf
    http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-936.pdf
    http://homepages.which.net/~paul.hills/ ... bbers.html

------

Have a very nice day

Attached Files:

15. ne02005

ne02005 Member

Balance:
    105Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hi everyone!!! I´m new in this world, and I found this wonderful forum!!!
    I´m Building SimforceGT simulator, and the Thanos` Tronic's DIY dual Mosfet H-bridge and Avr 1.5 boards, I´m waiting for my ATmega.... In my country I coudn´t found it.

Is it posible to get the sprint layout files from H Bridge and Avr 1.5? I want to increase the board pads and the lines.

Thanks a Lot!!!!

P.d: Thanos you are a Genius!!!! :hi:
  16. devincox

devincox New Member

IT Guy/Programmer
    Balance:
    352Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, I'm back after a long time away. I wrecked my motorcycle on track and broke my neck/back. Titatnium rods, some screws, some neats scars and now I'm back. Anywho, I am building my dsmhb right now and found an error in my BOM.

538-26-60-4100|1
    538-09-50-3101|2

These two items are incorrect. The pitch is wrong and thus they will not fit. I am ordering replacements and will post up the final and corrected BOM.

Thanks,
    Devin

17. ne02005

ne02005 Member

Balance:
    105Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Re: Tronic's DIY dual Mosfet H-bridge_

I need the editable sprint layout files, not pdfs. So I want to increase the size of the pads and remove the mosfet terminals.
    Or Sprint Layout can import the Gerber and Excellon files you attached?

Is it possible? Thanks a lot 8)
  18. jimiTES

jimiTES New Member

Balance:
    - 45Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The dealer where i bought the components, told me that 3.6 k Ohm does not exist and gave me 3,9 k Ohm. Same with 160 Ohm (he gaves me 150)...

Will they do the work?.

Thanks
  19. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    These values does exist!! I think your dealer sucks... :)

If you cannot find the exact values from any other place, use these. The values are close to the required....

Or add two resistors in series to reach the correct value: for example 150 + 10 = 160...
  20. jimiTES

jimiTES New Member

Balance:
    - 45Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You can´t imagine how right are you ;P