1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tronic's DIY dual Mosfet H-bridge (DSMhb)

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by tronicgr, Dec 30, 2007.

1. erichans

erichans New Member

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Senetor,
    I didn't need to open any of the MOSFETs. They were working perfectly and I'm sure I caused the problem----poor fan and no fuses, long untwisted motor leads and no noise suppression capacitors across the brushes, 1 MFD/600V---all rectified now (see Page 13 of this thread)! 4QD is a great site, but I did disobey one rule. I added an ammeter in the line! R-eng had suggested using a clamp meter, but that's OK for temporary testing. I took a bit of courage from Thanos who had the inductive one on line on his Joyrider.

The Tester has acquitted 13 of 15 'suspects'. For a second opinion I'll also rig up the one 4QD has given. Anyway, I'm building a second DSMhb as backup with copper heatsinks and powerful fan for testing a new ~100W motor I've made up. (details will be here after testing) Pity I had only the 'no TC' board handy so I'm using up that.

One thing is certain. We need a good MOSFET tester, else your museum gets filled up fast, even with good ones! :eek:

Regards, Erich.
  2. R-eng

R-eng Member

Balance:
    28Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @ Erich,

I built this circuit about a month ago and also encountered problems. I was thinking of replacing the 555 chips when today I saw your solution. I rotated the LED and diode and everything worked perfectly...a big thanks!

The explanation of the LED sequence is a bit untidy, so here is what may be a clearer one.

BTW, I am methodical bench testing the prototype of the HPMhb-150A at this time. There are some hiccups, so it will take a bit more time before it powers up some motors. But it's not far off!

R-eng

Attached Files:

3. R-eng

R-eng Member

Balance:
    28Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Regarding the resistors for the LED's, it really depends on their mcd outputs. The original values proved perfect for me. Experimentation between 220 and 1k is needed to normalize the outputs.

Here is my board.

R-eng

Attached Files:

4. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey, nice little board! Any PCB layout of it that we can use to make it? :clap:

I have all the parts, but was too busy to actual make the board on protoboard...

Regards, Thanos
  5. R-eng

R-eng Member

Balance:
    28Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dual sided expresspcb layout.

R-eng

Attached Files:

6. wannabeaflyer

wannabeaflyer Active Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi Thanos just wanted to ask your advice again regarding my Motors and the Spped issue.. have designed a Geared pulley driven system which will be linked to my Motion platform using 6mm Steel cable, becuse my Motor/Gearbox combination is so slow i have thought about using 3/8 pitch chain and sprokets to get the output spped up to 64RPM ( well in theory at least :lol: ) all the main element will rotate in bearings and the Pulleys will be 100-150mm diameter . have a look at the cad drawings i did to see what you think of this option .. if you guys can see any problems with this method i would appreciate tihe feedback before i start making the bits ... on the question of out put torque i had to loose a lot to get the speed but am waiting for a answer from parvalux about how easy it may be to change the Motor to PM60 which spins at a faster speed so i wont have to double up the supply voltage , or cause the unit to wear out quicker by my dodgy calculations i figure that with an input speed of 8 rpm @24V i should get 64 RPM with the gearing set at 8:1 the torrque of 51Nm will be in excess of 500Nm at arround 100mm from shaft which would give me +/- 200mm of cable travel and easily allow me to achieve 15-20Degrees Pitch and roll ??? What do you guys think.. Thanos if this is in the wrong place i'll move it to Actuator designs section :cheers: sorry about the large second PDF could not get infraview to make it smaller :-(

Attached Files:

7. erichans

erichans New Member

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    As a follow up to the Simple Mosfet Tester fix on this page, and for the sake of completeness, I tabled the 4 tests from the text in the original PDF. There are two versions here, one for those who will/or have used LEDs exactly as per the circuit, or for those who might have used green and red LEDs for LED1 and LED2 respectively.

R-eng, thanks for checking these out.

Regards, Erich

Attached Files:

8. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,838Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Hey guys,

think it is recommendable to publish the mosFet tester as separated project thread to retain the overwiew. It is a nice pcb, certainly useful for other people as well. :thbup:

regards
    René
  9. erichans

erichans New Member

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Rene,
    Good idea! May I suggest however, that we wait awhile until MOSFETS that read OK actually work in-circuit. At least 3 of us have it now and when someone gives a :thbup: maybe then we can proceed. I have a mixture of 13 and am just building a second DSMhb, so I'll feedback when I have a result. As for everybody, time is my huge constraint!!

As I say, just a suggestion!

Regards, Erich.
  10. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,838Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Erich,

My advice was a suggestion as well :D

Btw. I am building the AMC and H-Bridge at the moment, so i need your advice for sure some time soon ;)
  11. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi,

The way you have designed, it might work. But I don't know if the steel cable will leave you with much movement of the output shaft, as the tension fittings will hit each pulley disk, if you don't limit the rotation. I'd suggest to measure the length of the pulley cable and use an engine belt near to your size calculations. If not possible to find exact size, make the small pulley adjastable to tension it later.

Regards, Thanos
  12. wannabeaflyer

wannabeaflyer Active Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Just an update i am planning to buy pulley wheels with size circumferance which is going to be equal to or bigger than the required travel and would then allow for 4/5th of the circumferance to hold the cable ... by this is mean that at least half a turn each pulley would wind/unwind at least 200mm of 6mm diameter cable ( ONe pully for each cable so they cant get tangled ) :cheers: Thanks again Thanos
  13. erichans

erichans New Member

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Rene,
    Nice to hear---great project!!

Some quick advice before you get in too deep---order the DSMhb PCB as the 'TC' (terminal connector) design. Easier to fit and/or replace MOSFETs. The next one may be a bit of overkill, but I'm using copper heatsinks for the second DSMhb. Also, I replaced the plastic spacers between the pairs by copper tubes. I changed the 75mm rotor fan to an 85mm more powerful one. I used card deflectors to better direct the airflow over the heatsinks. and last, I put the whole lot in a black box with the LCD, reset switch and serial ports sticking out of the box for easy access. There are 2 20x60mm exhaust ports at the bottom of the box. I could not get very good quality sockets for the BC546s and the crystal. So now I've soldered the transistors in, and after finding the crystal that worked stably, soldered that in too. But if you get nice tight sockets--OK!!

Thanos held my hand throughout all my project problems (see Pp 31 and 32 (under that hardware thread). Also Page 39. And lots more around about there.

Good luck with the project, and hope the 24 MHz crystal works!!! :thbup:

Regards, Erich.
  14. R-eng

R-eng Member

Balance:
    28Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The 24MHz crystal does work, but I understand from Thanos that with the new firmware, the 22MHz is the ideal version.

R-eng
  15. erichans

erichans New Member

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi R-eng,
    Am I missing something here? Which is the 'new' firmware to which you refer?

Thank for the pointer, and Regards,

Erich.
  16. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Erich,

The new firmware R-eng is taking about is the v1.1. It implements some fixes on the PWM curve near zero value, and some more fixes on the LCD update code. I have not yet released this new firmware cause I was hopping to discard the Hyperterminal setting method and have an external GUI application (written in VB) to be able to change a lot more parameters and hopefully use some profiles that can be shared. Still need help with it so if anyone willing to help me with VB is welcome...

In meantime I already have ready a 3DOF firmware (probably will call it 2.0) that is used in combined axis motion platforms (like EvanF's chair of torture if you remember it). I'm trying to develop additional code for it so it can use quadrature optical encoders for position feedback. I found a really cheap solution in quadrature encoding that will present to the public soon I hope. Just imagine paying $15 for an 128CPR encoder with 16-bit onboard decoder microcontroller, and best of all, ready to buy off the shelve...!!!

91Q128_TQED_1_sm.jpg

I believe I now have more projects in progress than ever!!!! I don't even dare to number them :lol:

Regards, Thanos
  17. erichans

erichans New Member

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Thanos,
    Great to hear that you are still developing the firmware minus HT and with profiling features :clap:
    Look forward to using with my second AMC-DSMhb set for my second smaller, but 3 DOF sim (with manual yaw!!! LOL! in my mind at this moment). It will have more powerful motors with the WW motor gearboxes only grafted on, and the plastic pinions replaced with steel ones. I hope I'll be able to get hold of the encoders you mention, as I'm still struggling to get SS495A's.

My grandson gets #1 Sim---but he doesn't know it yet! ;D

All the best with your great projects!!

Regards,

Erich.
  18. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,838Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I hope he reads not here and you don´t know it yet ;D

@Thanos, its great to hear that development of your AMC and H-bridge goes forward, although you have to share your rare spare time for all the other things in life. So i hardly have the courage to ask if there are plans to integrate 6DOF options into your AMC in future :blush:

As you know Robin developes a 6DOF software and miniature platform That´s fantastic as well but i really want to see your universal DIY AMC working with X-SIM and his 6DOF software and not any third party servo interface if possible anyway.

best regards
    René
  19. Jeroen

Jeroen Member

Balance:
    - 33Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hi,

I have build a new h-bridge...

My next problem is that the left motor (motor2) starts shaking when it is in middle position
    and the status leds are flickering (also with no motor connected).

Motor1 is working fine.

I swapped motors... same thing. Think it is the signal from motor2. I also re-programmed
    the atmega and tried different kp-settings. No succes...

When I start the profiler only 1 axis is showed and both motors move. Both in different directions.

Does anybody have an idea of what this might be?

gr. Jeroen
  20. Jeroen

Jeroen Member

Balance:
    - 33Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hi,

When I turn the pot which is connected to motor1 the leds smoothly go on and of like they should...
    But the leds of motor2 are switching on off (not smooth from green to red or reversed).
    The pot of motor2 is working fine on the lcd.

gr. Jeroen