1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tronic's AMC motor motion-controller with pwm/servo output

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by tronicgr, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Alle

Alle Member

Balance:
    283Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

I would like to build an AVR motion controller designed by Thanos.
    I have never build a controller interface and I need some help.

Can someone please give me some tips to build it?

What I have to do?

I do not really know if:

- I have to give the .pdf file and a part list to a local electronic shop and ask them to build it
    - Or to an online electronic shop (any advice?)
    - Or order some items and then assemble it to my home
    - Or other

Could you suggest me what is the best/right way to build this AVR controller?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,
    Alle
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Tips? Hmm, yet we are going to build the first BETA interfaces. The pcbs should arrive this week. Hopefully :)
  3. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    After a question about feeling bumps and curve curbs on a SimforceGT (frex-like) motion system using my avr motion controller, I searched more carefully the parameters of x-sim Force Profiler and managed to mix the z acceleration forces to the y motion data.

The result is awesome! Better than I was expecting!

I took a short video to see the difference in motion with bumps and other heave motion also mixed in it.

SimforceGT video

When running fast most of the bumps are absorbed by the sustains of the car so you get less fast up-down vertical motion than in low speeds.

Anyway here is the profile to test it for yourself:

[​IMG]z_data_in_SimforceGT_LFS_profile.zip (0.53 KB)

z_data_in_frex.jpg

z_data_in_frex_29.jpg

I haven't tested the range of these values on my simulator yet so if the motion is too intense you can always reduce the % strength.

I getting to like frex-like motion systems more and more. I might attempt making one if I can save enouph money for it! :)

Thanos
  4. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can you explain better what do you mean?

Limiting the motion travel inside the controller? The software (profiler) can limits this.

Regards
    Thanos
  5. kjg71

kjg71 New Member

Designer
    Balance:
    9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanos,

Great work so far I can't believe how much you are able to accomplish in so little time!

Back on page 10 you have a post for 11/3 that has a picture of your bench. What exactually is that device on the bench with the masking tape and clear disc?

I assume it is : test table dc motors but looks unfamiliar to me? Is it Some kind of duel motor setup using some motors other then auto type?

Regards,

Kyle
  6. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Kyle, long time no see!

Yes that thing is the remains of a large toy (only the motors and gearbox). I could't find anything closer to the car wiper motors to do the tests. And as I have found out before, its dangerous to test on real motors! You may have not recognized it with all the supports for the pots on its sides!

After I finish with the tests I'll probably make some sort of segway type robot with these toy dc motors. :)

Thanos
  7. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Me too! ;) Its amazing how fast Thanos published the BETA interface!
  8. Ferrari_Man

Ferrari_Man Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 5Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN5, SimforceGT
    damn amazing to see this interface... totally different compared to the velleman and pneumatik. totally cool... :eek: :eek:

I WANT THIS INSTEAD :D

I know how to make a PCB but getting the right parts is a another thing.
    Anyone who can help to find a online shop and make a list of all the this I will need to make the interface. Maybe a onlineshop in gemany.

Ferrari_man
  9. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I agree!

mixing the z-axis seems to be a good idea. Looking forward to test it in my Simforce :)

@Ferrari_man

I do order all electronics via http://www.reichelt.de
  10. Ferrari_Man

Balance:
    - 5Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN5, SimforceGT
    Okay I tryed to find the things on thanos list but can only find a few of them. Do you have some more detailed information on the parts... or maybe a list of what you bought. (Iam only an electrician not so good at all theis parts like IC and so on)

Ferrari_man
  11. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    @Evan
    You could use the interaface as well. Ok, without the rear-actuator/z-axis, but it could be used at least to get a SimforceGT-like motion into your frame!
  12. Ed Watson

Ed Watson New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am currently building your interface as per your document and I need to know if this is the same code we would use for a FSX 2DOF motion sim with a different x-sim profile using motor1 for pitch and motor2 for roll?
  13. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Ed,

No, this firmware introduces SimforceGT motion with coupled motion of the motors.

For flight sims (And motion systems like Joyrider) its better to use the Beta001 firmware. It outputs 2 axis uncoupled!

Regards, Thanos
  14. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll make another beta version for Evan, that supports 3-point coupled motion (3DOF).

Just be a little patience as I just ordered the second RN-VN2 motor controller to be able to do PWM tests with more than 2 motors.

Thanos
  15. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll try to make a more detailed part list. And take some photos of the required parts in case you want to take the photos to an electronics store to find them for you. :)

Thanos
  16. Ferrari_Man

Balance:
    - 5Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN5, SimforceGT
    Thanks man... just what I was looking and hoping for. Great work so far.

Ferrari_man
  17. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just edited the first post of this topic to contain all the nessasary info for the avr motio controller. Schematics, Firmware, prog guides etc.

As I post new firmware versions I'll post the links for them there too.

Thanos
  18. EvanF

EvanF Member

Multimedia Producer
    Balance:
    423Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Thanos, I am really looking forward to your 3DOF beta version. Finally I will have my 3DOF simchair working sweetly! :razz:

Meanwhile I am looking for a board etching service here in NZ to make me the controller board as I am too busy with finalising a 3D walkthrough of a Frigate for work at the moment.

edit//
    Incredible, I have just received quote back from pcb etcher...NZD$271, 5 day delivery. No way!?! NZ too small for competitive pricing. And what is this requirement...Ideally we need gerber files and an excellon drill file Hmmm... It looks like I will have to etch it myself after all. //edit

I have also managed to find a wrecked mobility scooter with very powerful 24V DC gearheads (30:1) and a beautiful stainless steel frame complete with adjustable steering wheel. I will remove the gearheads (for now) and attach the DC motors to two of my linear actuators and also modify the steering wheel like ego has done on his. So hopefully by X'mas I will have both a 3DOF and a 2DOF system to test your PWM controller cards with!!

EvanF
  19. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    That price is actually pretty cheap. They have a high initial start price and then a lower price per PCB they make. So there are not that much difference in ordering one or five pcb's. Gerber and Excellon files are the industri standard format that every cad-tools spit out. It can control the machines in the etch/drill process directly. Maybe thanos can supply gerber files as well?
  20. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know that making professional PCB's requires these CAD files (Gerber and Excellon). Just wanted to build the first prototype PCB board to see if I missed anything. If all is ok I'll have to learn and use Eagle PCB designer that outputs such CAD files and I'll provide them here.

Regards, Thanos