1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tronic's AMC motor motion-controller with pwm/servo output

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by tronicgr, Aug 30, 2007.

1. pippo978

pippo978 New Member

Balance:
    1,052Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello Fred

I congratulate you for your card and for the work, :clap:
    I have a question, such as RS-232 chip you plugged in your card?
    you tell me the exact model?
    I think my card does not communicate with the computer because of the chip. Mine is a ADM202JN at first reading your datasheet looks very similar to that used by thanos is a ADM202EAN that instead, you could see my datasheet and tell me if it goes wrong or right?

datasheet ADM202JN http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datashe ... 202JRW.pdf
    many thanks

Pippo
  2. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Probably connected wrong the potentiometer.... if you connect it wrong it will get hot and burn as you turn the wiper towards the +5v... what actually happens is that you minimizing the resist and the higher ampers cause the potentiometer contact surface to heat and burn. It sure must smell nasty!!!

Most potentiometer pins have this arrangement:
    pin1: ground
    pin2 (middle): wiper
    pin3: +5v

If you need you can swap safely Pin1 & Pin3...

But AMC1.5 board connections has this pin arrangement:

pin1: wiper
    Pin2: +5V
    Pin3: Ground

So you need to connect:
    AMC pin2 --> Pot pin3
    AMC pin3 --> Pot pin1
    AMC pin1 --> Pot pin2

Thanos
  3. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Pippo:
    I am not to good in electronics, so i cannot give good help reading your datasheet, but I have a MAXIM MAX232 ACPE-ND (0923) on my board. Here is a link to the datasheet for it: http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX220-MAX249.pdf

Thanos: Thankyou for that info, I had a suspision it might be something like that :D . more testing tomorrow!

Fred
  4. watkykjy

watkykjy Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys,

I am so excited to hear that everyone is making progress on their sims. I am however still stuck at the problem of proper feedback to the AMC. I really don't want to go for the potentiometer idea, simply because it's a friction part, and will need replacement all the time, so the hall sensor or some other method is really what I am looking for. The hall sensor gives me the problem of not enough travel on the magnet, to give me enough movement on the frame, and I have tried a lot of combinations of different magnets, strengths, lengths, thickness, etc etc, but nothing seems to give me enough travel, or even enough turn on the z-axis to be able to use them! So I thought, how about using those old sensors that they use in the roller mouse? You know, those that make and brake a light contact, and then supply feedback based on that? have anyone tried that before, and if yes, what was your experience with that? I am really racking my brains on this one, as this really is the last step before we can finish our sims!!

Please please guys, I really need some help here!

Thanks Johan
  5. ne02005

ne02005 Member

Balance:
    105Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF

1- what kind of servo/model should I buy?
    2 - How should I set up Profiler to activate servo outputs ?
    3 - Is there any way to connect the servo output to the base of a transistor and thus move the needle of a voltmeter without using servos?
    4 - This pulse of 1ms, which voltage has to have? Whenever I measure 0 volts.

6. ne02005

ne02005 Member

Balance:
    105Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Atmega 644 it will improve on something?

I´m using Atmega 8535 and 22MHz crystal working perfect!, using an Atmega 644 it will improve on something?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  7. watkykjy

watkykjy Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Guys,

I went though most of this topic last night, and saw that Thanos was actually busy building encoders for us to be able to use the optical encoders found in mice, etc. with AMC 1.5. Do any of you know how far along the development path he is with this, and if possible, can give a schmeatic or something that we can build to get this done? I think that this is absolutely the best way to go about it, and would ultimately be the most accurate to do as well..

Thanos, if you are reading this message, how far did you get with this brother?

I see you - My favorite quote from Avatar... lol
  8. pathetic

pathetic Member

Balance:
    - 38Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I ve problems with my boards.
    At first start while not powered, i move the motors two one end point (for ex near 900pot value) . Then power the conroller. It begins for making them center. But they stop nearly 540 everytime. Both leds are ON and motor is not moving. One of the 4905fet is getting hot then i unplug power to protect...
    But if i move the pots and turn them by hand. I can stop the motor at exactly 512 and both leds are off between 509-514 also no overheat...

(With no load, one of the motors draws 2,12A and the other 3.30A with two seperate (12V 5A)power supply )

Does anyone have suggestions ?

[​IMG]
    imageresize_2.jpg explanation
    1- The values dont get near 512
    2- That mosfet gets too hot
    3- While the motors are stopped the leds are ON together
  9. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    About the servos, it doesn't matter what kind of servo you get, as long as it fits your needs (speed, torque). X-Sim doesn't control the servos directly, there is a plugin that uses the soundcard to control them with extra circuitry. Search in the forums. The AMC can control the servos as well, you will have to look into the manual/firmware, I haven't used it before. Signal voltage can be 4-6V I think, even more, depending on the servo. Note that you cannot measure the pulse peak voltage with a voltage meter.

Johan, for now your best bet is to use a potentiometer if you can't do it with the hall sensor. To the best of my knowledge the hall sensor senses the magnetic flux and outputs an analog voltage depending on it's strength, which depends on the angle. Since the magnet has 2 poles, you will have a sine-wave output from the sensor as the magnet rotates. There will be 2 peaks of voltage in every rotation (if the sensor measures only absolute magnetic flux and not + and - ) This leads to the result that 180degs of movement will be your maximum range if you use the ADC directly.

I have two optical encoders hacked from an old ball mouse that I have been experimenting with. I cannot seem to have clean edges from the transistor outputs, only if I use a schmitt trigger, and even then I have to be very picky about my resistors. Without clean edges the whole thing just goes crazy and the firmware just gives me random results. Thanos is working on it as well but he has other things to take care of for now, so don't expect any updates. I will try to make these encoders work without additional IC's just some resistors and 2 transistors. After that the programming can begin to interpret the grey-code.

Adam.
  10. watkykjy

watkykjy Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much for the reply Adam, at least this gives me enough information to make an informed decision as to where we need to go to for now. I am however very much looking forward to hearing any updates if and when you come right with the optical encoders, as I think that this will be the way of the future for our AMC :)

But for now I will fall back to the pots and get the proper gear ratio's etc to use them in that fashion.

Thank you very much again, I appreciate your help mate!

Cherio

Johan
  11. Fuzzz

Fuzzz New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    I discover this website and i will try to build a 2DOF motion
    I see that thanos wants to propose pre-programmed kits ready to use
    I'm very interested if it's possible.
    I need to find a company that could make the card for me, i have an idea for this.
    Regards
    Guillaume
  12. dutch_anykey

dutch_anykey New Member

Intelligent networks gsm prepaid services and such
    Balance:
    305Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

To Tronicgr:

Regarding the 24 mhz mistery. Can it be that a wrong xtal is used? I got this problem in another projekt where a xtal had to drive a pic i.c.w. usb chip for a DMX ligtning controller. When using a oberton xtal, it uses harmonics 3-5-7. When using a grundton xtal is will have the proper freq. Translated from german to english,grundton would be fundemental and oberton would be overtone.
    So I think that you would have to look for fundamental or grundton Quarz. For the DMX projekt only smd quarz was availlable at reichelt, but worked like a charm. At that time I know there was a lot of fuss in the projekt from people using the wrong xtal.

But now for my problem lol. I want to order a atmega 644 from reichelt. But I have the choice between these models:

Would any of these work? I have to be honest and tell you that I really didnt invetigate the differences of these chips.

ATMEGA 644-20 PU ATMega AVR-RISC-Controller
    ATMEGA 644-20 AU ATMega AVR-RISC-Controller
    ATMEGA 644V-10AU ATMega AVR-RISC-Controller
    ATMEGA 644V-10PU ATMega AVR-RISC-Controller
    ATMEGA 644P-20PU ATMega AVR-RISC-Controller
    ATMEGA 644V-10MU ATMega AVR-RISC-Controller

kind regards,
    Maurice

edit: for reference, i'm talking about this quarz:
    http://www.reichelt.de/?ACTION=3;ARTICL ... ROVID=2402
  13. monast

monast New Member

Mechanical Engineer Consultant Industrial Automati
    Balance:
    359Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Guys and Master Thanos, good year!!
    Thanos, I had a lot of work and now I have time for my Bike simulator,
    Its circuit 0-10V proportional valve works well but the output voltage range is 1,03-9,8 V and 5.95 V in the center for this reason the valve does not work well in positioning, how could we improve for get in the middle 5V (+ -0.1) and in the end 0V instead of 1.03?
    I Food with 19V signal because I have 2 valves, one at each output
    Attach file

If you can help me and fix this, soon I will send video with 2 AVR Thanos and 4 proportional valves running simultaneously in my SIM BIKE, spectacular, we are having good progress!

Thanks a lot from Barcelona!!
    Monast :(
  14. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Monast,

I dont have my lab available at the moment to fix that for you. All my equipment is packed up right now. I'm trying to get a place with more space... among other issues... :-(

One way to overcome your problem is to use a negative voltage on the ground connection of the valve driving circuit (perhaps something like -1.03v ). PC power supplies can provide a negative power source like that which is either -5v or -11v.

Regards, Thanos
  15. rappa

rappa New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  16. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it will work. You will need drivers for the virtual COM port.
  17. rappa

rappa New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    but can i connect it directly on the atmega? where i can find the driver?

thanks
    Rappa
  18. tetesim

tetesim New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Thano

I have your controller with the old micro 8535 , I desire to put the 644 ; You have talk about a kit with 644 preprogrammed ! Is ready to buy ? how much ?

regards stefano
  19. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yes, you can connect directly to the Atmega8535. Read the listing for information, they have a link for the drivers.
  20. rappa

rappa New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hello!

Can you tell me if this bord supports the atmega 644?

[img600px]http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/download/file.php?id=334&mode=view/AVRmotioncontroller1_5_fix_pcb.gif[/img600px]

thanks
    Rappa