1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tronic's AMC motor motion-controller with pwm/servo output

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by tronicgr, Aug 30, 2007.

1. pitulo

pitulo New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Tengo un problema con el LCD, después de introducir el archivo en el ponyprog para el cristal de 24, le doy a PROGRAM y no me aparece en la pantalla ningún dato. Alguien me podría decir que puede ser. Gracias

I have a problem with the LCD, after introducing the file into the glass PonyProg for 24 programs and I do not I see any data on the screen. Someone might say that I can be. Thank you
  2. tmod2441

tmod2441 New Member

Fabricator
    Balance:
    455Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A personal thanks to Frakk for the advice on the ATMega Chips. I have almost completed both boards. Just waiting on my MAX232 chip. So thinking ahead, I had a few questions.

I was considering the power supplies for both the AMC board and for the wiper motors. I did find a multi-selection power supply ranging from 3VDC to 12VDC @ 1A for the AMC board. And was looking at some of these posted in another forum for the wiper motors http://www.mpja.com/products.asp?dept=3&main=1 and was wondering which one of these would be best?

Is it possible to use 24VDC motors with the AMC 1.5?

Also, if I were to build the frame out of electrical conduit would the wiper motors still be sufficient? I have a friend that is 6 foot tall and weighs around 260 pounds and thinks that the pvc frame wouldn't support him.

Has anyone had any luck installing PonyProg2000 on Vista 64Bit OS? I found some information in one of the forums here can-t-install-ponyprog-in-vista-64bit-t1365.html but with no luck.
  3. pointer4

pointer4 New Member

Balance:
    296Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Okay :)

I have my first problem with programming the controller.
    When i connect the usb/com adapter, the red led lights, (ponyprog cannot read the sec.bits, in the I/O setup window SI prog API test on com3 work fine)

There is a trouble with the assembly unambiguously, or the usb/com adapter problem? (maybe not FT232R chip, i cant see)

Another remark, the small green led not lights. ???

Regards
    Pointer

Attached Files:

4. pitulo

pitulo New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no estoy utilizando adaptador usb. Estoy usando puerto serie, el led rojo se ilumina cuando introduzco el firmware en el microcontrolador, El pequeño LED verde se ilumina.
    El fichero betaLcd24 no tengo problema con ponyprog. El problema es que la pantalla LCD no muestra ninguna información. Igual que la foto que se ve en pointer4.

inglés traducido:
    I'm not using usb adapter. I'm using serial port, the red LED lights when you enter the firmware in the microcontroller, the small green LED lights.
    The file betaLcd24 I have no problem with PonyProg. The problem is that the LCD does not display any information. Like the picture you see on pointer4.
  5. tmod2441

tmod2441 New Member

Fabricator
    Balance:
    455Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I too am having programming issues. When I go into PonyProg and do the calibration it gives me an OK. However, when I proceed to the Interface Setup and click the Probe I get a test failed. I selected the AVR micro using the ATMega644 setup. I'm using a 9V 1200ma power supply, I'm using an ATMega644-2PU with the 24Mhz Crystal and the 18pF Capacitor. I went into Device Manager to verify the com port (Com 1 was the only one listed and the only one I have on the back of my laptop), I triple checked that the serial cable was properly connected and I'm runnning the latest version of PonyProg (2000). Any ideas?
  6. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    tmod: the firmware and fuse bits would be different for the 664, try it with the 8535.

I would use the simple parallel port programmer: http://www.qsl.net/ba1fb/avrisp.gif
    There is less room for error, and it works just as well. At least for me :)
  7. tmod2441

tmod2441 New Member

Fabricator
    Balance:
    455Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Frakk. Forgive my anxiety but as I have the boards ready I am even more excited about finishing. I just got the com port working. I had to uninstall and then re-install it through the device manager. Everything went as expected. I loaded the following firmware version PWMBETA002LCD_OP24.HEX. It was able to read and write successfully however nothing is displayed on the LCD. Any ideas?
  8. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Are you using the mega664? as I said it is probably not compatible. The firmware has to be adjusted, registers, inputs/outputs and such to make it work on other AVRs. If i'm wrong and everything is the same between the 8535 and the 664, maybe there are problems with the lcd connection, initialization or the controls. I really can't tell whats wrong as I haven't built it, but it is probably that you are using the wrong uC.
  9. tmod2441

tmod2441 New Member

Fabricator
    Balance:
    455Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    After reading through all the forums I found that many have upgraded to the new ATMega644 chip using Thanos's updated firmware. At the time I could not find the 8535 unless I bought 25 of them. I did find the 644 along with 90% of the parts I needed for both the AMC and the DHBridge from just one site saving me dollars on shipping charges. So I went with the 644. Since my last post I changed to the 22.1184Mhz crystal with 22pf Caps. The LCD at the time was displaying just the top line with just solid blocks. Upon completion of the programming the LCD displayed both lines but both were solid blocks. I will try to post some pics. I read from the memory successfully which is leading me to think the problem is with the LCD as you suggested. I will do more investigating. Thanks a bunch for your time and promptness. It IS GREATLY appreciated!!
    Here is the Datasheet for my LCD if it helps:

Attached Files:

10. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The lcd controller is compatible. Check the pin connections and make sure they match whats coming from the controller. Enable, RS, data bits (check for least significant and most significant bits) and such.
  11. tmod2441

tmod2441 New Member

Fabricator
    Balance:
    455Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your quick reply's. Today I discovered one of my jumpers on the back of the LCD was not seating properly. Replaced it with a new one and all is good except for one MINOR detail. I can view the LCD from a slight angle but looking at it straight on it is solid blocks. Is there anyway of adjusting the contrast? I have read on other posts where they were using the blue backlit LCD's and used a pot.
  12. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    If you look at the datasheet it shows you the diagram. The pin Vo is your contrast. Use a 10k-20k pot between Vcc and Gnd and connect the wiper to Vo, or just use 2 resistors, maybe a 5k and 5-10k.
  13. tmod2441

tmod2441 New Member

Fabricator
    Balance:
    455Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Frakk. You've been a GREAT help and as I've said I appreciate the rapid response. It is indeed GREATLY APPRECIATED!! I will try to add another resistor since that seems to be the simplest route.
  14. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    No problem at all. I hope your lcd works as it should!
  15. tmod2441

tmod2441 New Member

Fabricator
    Balance:
    455Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK. I've got the LCD thing fixed using a 3K resistor across the Vo pins. I assembled everything including wiper motor very carefully I might add making sure nothing was shorted etc. I fired it up and had a SERIOUS current draw somewhere and fried a couple MOSFETS. Just to recap, I switched to the ATMega8535 and using 18 crystal with 22pF Caps and replaced all the IRFZ44's. Now when I fire it up it seems the only time the motor attempts to turn is when I reach a reading of 400 on the LCD. When it does reach this point the motor tries to start but seems it doesn't have enough juice so it just clicks and the green LED barely comes on. I noticed I had +12V on each leg of the motor connector on the DSMhb and none of the MOSFETS even warm up. That doesn't seem right? I am using an old 350 watt power supply from years ago and never used for the DSMhb. It has a 12A rating so I figured this would be OK for no load testing. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

16. suleyman_trk

suleyman_trk New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everybody,
    before of all thank you so much for this sharing, specially Thanos.
    1- I finish the making board and lcd connection. When I connect the power, both leds are on like in the video guide. but max232 chip is heating so much, I cannot touch the that. (I hope its not burned) I check my installation, everything looks Ok. I couldnt find the problem. does anybody live this problem?
    2- In the video, before programing Lcd shows some square words. But my lcd shows nothing, is this normal?

Thanks
    Suleyman
  17. suleyman_trk

suleyman_trk New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi again;
    I change the max232cpe with max232n and vadaaa, problem solved. I think chip qualities going bad ;-)

regards
    Suleyman

Edit: But ponyprog2000 probe test fail still continue. I tried 22.184 and 18.*** crystal. nothing to change. I am looking the more posts!....
  18. tetesim

tetesim New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi thano

Tonight , I have changed the micro with ATMEGA644P 20PU but ponyprog say :device unknown ecc.

I have fixed the file ponyprog.ini , but nothing to do.

With the old micro the spi connection work, but with the new micro no;
    I use 22pF and 22.1184 like quarzo. what can I do ?

Regards Stefano.
  19. suleyman_trk

suleyman_trk New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi again

I made big mistake. I used null modem cable. off course result was unknown device -24 error. Now I made 1:1 extension serial cable and 24.000 mhz crystal. and program was uploaded. But still nothing shows on my lcd, this evening I will check my lcd connection.

regards
    suleyman
  20. R-eng

R-eng Member

Balance:
    28Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The 22.1184MHz Xtal uses 18pF capacitors.
    The 24MHz Xtal uses 16pF capacitors.

R-eng