1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tronic's AMC motor motion-controller with pwm/servo output

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by tronicgr, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Back to the original topic.. I was looking into specs of the atmega16 ic's for the mjoy16 controller and noticed that they are the same as the 8535 except with more memory. Since the atmega series is pin compatible, is it possible to use different ic's for the amc controller like atmega16x, atmega32x and so on? Do they accept the same code and method for programming?
  2. Thend

Thend New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is there anyone that have a complete mouser.com BOM list for the AMC board? Or anyone that have the knowhow what alternitive components you can use! couldent find everything from thanos list! could make one?

It whould really help me :)

Best Regards
    Oliver
  3. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi,

Although they seem similar in pinout or specs, their internal functions for the PWM, the serial port and the ADC system is different enough to prevent a direct replacement of the ATmega8535 with them. The only compatible with all features is the ATmega644, that is recommended because it have 64kb program memory and more hardware features like 6 PWM channels and hardware I2C control that work as extension to the ones that the old ATmega8535 has.

Regards, Thanos
  4. pitulo

pitulo New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hola a todos, antes de nada dar las gracias por toda la gente que ayuda en esta web. Gracias.

Ahora voy a plantear mis dudas. He terminado el AMC 1.5 y al intentar conectar con el ponyprog al microcontrolador me pone que device missing o unkown device, a que puede ser debido?

Traducción Google.
    Hello everybody, first of all to thank all the people helping on this website. Thank you.

Now I am going to raise my doubts. He ended AMC 1.5 and try to connect to the microcontroller PonyProg that makes me device missing or Unkown device, which may be due?
  5. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Read all the information in this:
    PONYPROG2000_FIX.zip

There might be need to edit the settings of ponyprog (ponyprog2000.ini) on your computer to make it work. So follow these instructions and you might succeed.

What windows are you using? Vista?
    Is the serial port a native one or you are using a USB adapter?

Regards, Thanos
  6. pitulo

pitulo New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Thanos. I am running Windows Xp, and serial port I / O, COM1.
    I still can not connect to the PCB.
    I have the same error device missing or Unkown device -24
    I'm using a 14 Mhz crystal, 22 Mhz, 18 Mhz.
    I had a problem with the microcontroller that is larger than the PCB.
  7. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

???? Did you made yourself the boards? Did you print the PDF in 1:1 size (no zoom) ????

Any photo of the board?

Thanos
  8. momo-man

momo-man New Member SimAxe Beta Tester Gold Contributor

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have been reading this forum for sometime and recently registered when I decided it was time to go for it and build a Thanos Joyrider device.

I must say a really big thank you to all the great guys, in no particular order, tronicgr, sirnoname, raceray, egoexpress, bvillersjr and many others, it is really amazing what you have all achieved. I think many people want to raise a glass to you folks. :cheers:

I know nothing about electronics but am lucky to have a friend who can help, I believe he is very knowledgeable about H-bridges and has commercial and custom made/prototype H-bridges in his workshop. He has asked me to post some questions so he can understand more about the way the H-bridge is being used in this instance.

The questions:

1. Does the controller brake the H bridge to a halt?

2. If so, does it do this braking to the +V rail or to ground?

3. Is it a hard brake? (i.e does it use pwm to brake the motor to a halt gently at say a 50-60% pwm rate or does it turn the pwm rate up to 100% and brake the motor to a halt as quickly as possible).

4. Either way does it monitor the motor current to confirm that the motor has stopped before it reverses the drive or does it impose a short time delay to give the motor time to stop before the drive reverses?

5. Alternatively does it just switch to reverse power as soon as possible and to hell with the motor?

I hope you can offer me the answers to the questions above. Thanks very much for a great project and forum, good luck to everyone.

Keep on trucking,
    Momo-man
  9. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Mono-man,

To your questions:

1. Yes, it brakes the motor but this brake is applied only in a very small area around the target position. If it forced to leave this brake area, the motor is automatically activated to correct the position back to the brake zone.
    2. It brakes to the Ground. Its safer that way, regarding the way that PWM signal is used.
    3. No, it doesn't do precalculated motion or planed accelerations or deccelerations. Since it has to respond in random position demands. it tried to follow the target position as fast is possible by setting proportional speed to the distance to the target. That is also the reason it brakes so smooth when reaching the target position without overshooting.
    4. No current monitor exists to confirm that the motor has stopped cause there is no need. Any excess current goes back to the battery through the diodes... ;-) It will reverse the motor even if a 99% PWM speed is ongoing, to a full 99% to the other direction. But given the motion data we use, that are g-force accelerations, that situation will never happen!!!
    5. That was covered in the answer 3 and 4, but let me add this: It will reverse hard, but there is really no problem for the motor as the existing current will recirculate through the h-bridge back to the battery.

Thanos
  10. momo-man

momo-man New Member SimAxe Beta Tester Gold Contributor

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Thanos,

Thanks for the detailed reply, I will pass this on to the man who understands all this.

I am looking forward to building the joyrider and hope to be posting pictures/video once I really get underway.

You have done some amazing work, you are a genius.

All the best,

Momo-man
  11. Kruemel

Kruemel New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Thanos,

I will read all 68 pages ... i promise. But first I have to know wheather there is a firmware for proportional valves on a 3Dof.

Thanks.
  12. pitulo

pitulo New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi, thanks for answering my problem.
    The problem we had is that the cable was not appropriate, I bought a new cable series and I can connect to the microcontroller. Now the problem I have is that I can not see the values on the LCD because I think I've worn the wrong and change the polarity.

Thanks and hope to soon upload photos and video.
    Thanos thanks for your dedication. Un saludo

traducido con google.
  13. Kenoby

Kenoby New Member

Balance:
    4Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  14. Kenoby

Kenoby New Member

Balance:
    4Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ITA
    Ciao a tutti
    Altre domande,
    per caso avete testato se il programma funziona sotto win vista o 7?
    i giochi che possiedo e dove vorrei usare il tutto sono DCS:Black Shark, lock-on, grid, c'è qualcuno che li ha testati?
    Grazie

ENG
    Hello World
    Other questions
    If you have tested for whether the program works under Win Vista or 7?
    games I have and where I want to use it are DCS: Black Shark, lock-on, grid, there is someone who has tested them?
    Thank you

Kenoby
  15. Kenoby

Kenoby New Member

Balance:
    4Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ITA
    Ciao, ho iniziato ad ordinare il materiale occorrente, un paio di domande sui componenti:
    Cosa serve il trimmer potentiometer 10k multiturn?
    Che tipo di potenziometro ci vuole per rilevare la posizione dei motori?
    Grazie

ENG
    Hello, I started to order the necessary material, a couple of questions on the components:
    What is the 10k multiturn trimmer Potentiometer?
    What kind of potentiometer does it take to detect the position of the engines?
    Thank you
  16. tmod2441

tmod2441 New Member

Fabricator
    Balance:
    455Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello. My apologies if I'm posting in the wrong thread here. I have just ordered all the parts for the AMC 1.5 and the DSMhb1.2b and had a question regarding the ATMega8535 and the Max232 chips. I did come across a previous post where you mentioned that there is no differnce between the ATMega8535-16PI and the ATMega8535-16PU but what about the firmware? I found an ATMega8535-16PU and was thinking I could use it. Also, the Max232 chip I found is a AMD202EANZ. I wasn't sure if the Z at the end made any difference. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I can't wait to get started. You all have done an AWESOME job in providing the information for newbies like myself. Thanks so much.
  17. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    tmod, don't worry too much about these small designators. 16PU is the new lead free version. the 202 is a standard ic as well, as long as it says rs-232 serial converter, it will do the job. good luck with your project!
  18. pointer4

pointer4 New Member

Balance:
    296Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone!
    I am ready with the reading (almost 100 pages :), I absorbed the informations.

A question:
    about the LCD matter, you can use any type parallel LCD you want, as long as it is HITACHI 44780 controller compatible!!

- How can i decide from the attached datasheet, it's good or not ? (dis)_162f_serie.pdf
  19. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    This one has the KS0070B controller, it says it on the block diagram. As far as I compared the instruction set to the HD44780, it is the same and should be compatible. I would double check the pins, but you should be ok with this lcd.

Udv Mezokovesdrol!:)
  20. pointer4

pointer4 New Member

Balance:
    296Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thnx the checking and the compare ! :D

Csumi! :) sg.hu/cockpit topicba nem jársz ?