1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tronicg 6 DOF - Professional Grade - 5000.00

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by cthiggin, Sep 24, 2014.

1. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Saw this at Inside Sim Racing as a post.

http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/15106-professional-grade-racing-6dof-platforms-for-just-5000/

Think we've seen this before???

Tom
    • Like Like x 1
  2. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lol... $5000 is actually cheap for professional grade 6DOF platforms... Try to see how much they cost commercially... :eek:

Just getting tired of people there getting robbed buying Dbox for $10000 thinking that its actually good deal...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep, the ol' thanos still trying......
    And now people here are building them with 12v motors and they do the same job.
  4. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, still waiting to see that. :p All talk, no action. I think you were there recently trying to convince for the importance of DIY... :thumbs
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i dont bother going to that site anymore, the arrogance of people there wanting everything for free, wanting easy solutions, and then bagging DIY solutions we presented them, despite being cheaper and showing photo and video proof.
    its not a DIY site there, its a "we like DIY static stuff, but when it comes to motion, there is only Simx and Dbox supported here. We dont like DIY Motion as it is shown that they rival the performance of systems much higher is cost" site
    Some people have too much money to spend or just want a bolt up and go setup.
    Dbox and 6 DOF is two different setups, but I see your point.
    Yes I know the 12v 6 DOF have gone quiet, dunno whats going on there.
    Good luck with your sale. :)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Well guys,
    My 3 DOF with AC & VFD's, along with the RS1 Seat, speakers etc is "now" a little over 6000.00 us....AND I really did get a super deal on the 1hp motors and super duty gearheads...
    so, right at this moment, 5000 sounds pretty good for a 6dof - IMHO....

Tom
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. riton

riton Active Member

Balance:
    1,006Coins
    Ratings:
    +103 / 3 / -0
    12V or 24V engines do not compete with AC motor!
    it is difficult to properly move a simulator with 12v engines.
    it takes a lot of effort to arrive at a correct result.
    Lighten the cockpit, put spring ....
    it's not completely impossible, but we must make sacrifices.

Vicpopo with its low power is really the limit! how to do this properly with 12V motor
    the torque is not enough, we must do this for a reason
  8. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    I respectfully disagree with this statement! Horsepower is a unit of measurement of power, the rate at which work is done. This unit of measurement is the same regardless of whether an AC or DC voltage is used (here in the US at least). Therefore, a 1hp DC motor theoretically has the same power and torque as a 1hp AC motor.

The main difference is that high voltage AC is usually more readily available than high voltage DC. Since voltage multiplied by current equals power (hp), using a higher voltage allows for the use of smaller currents. Current is what creates heat, not voltage. Therefore, while a 1hp AC and DC motor have the same power output, a motor using a lower voltage will generate more heat due to higher currents being used. So, the main issue is heat dissipation when using low voltages with larger DC motors.

Obviously, if comparing a 200watt DC motor (apx 1/4hp) to a 750watt AC motor (apx 1 hp) for example, the AC motor will win hands down!
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  9. riton

riton Active Member

Balance:
    1,006Coins
    Ratings:
    +103 / 3 / -0
    ok, of course I agree with you, what I mean is that small 200w motor is not powerful asser for a correct result.

no one here uses DC motors 750 w I spoke gift c of small DC motor
  10. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Probably why no one here is using 750watt DC motors (other than the fact they don’t need to be that large for a chair mover and they won’t work with jrks) is that they usually run 2 to 3 times the price of comparable AC motors. You can buy an AC motor and VFD for the same price or less than purchasing just a large DC motor in many cases.

But the advantages of DC power are you don’t need additional electronics to output a signal like you do to many VFD’s, you don’t have to be concerned about eddy currents wrecking havoc in your electronics, and you won’t be dealing with potentially deadly AC current either! The disadvantages, when using lower voltages at least, are you need to run heavier gauge wiring to the motors and you may need some additional cooling of the motors as well.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the 240v 6DOF advertised here is good work and yes, it may be cheaper to build than buy.
    We all have various regulations relating to safety of mains motors in our respective countries.
    Yes the current 12v sim 6DOF builds dont really qualify to be in that field of a 240v. Its good to see that 12v 6DOF is possible though.
    Yes, 750 watt dc motors could be used and all it takes is a good ard code and a FAT h-bridge and you are off with a good 3DOF lift, even a 6DOF, depending on cost of course between the 2 types of motors.
    @riton , your 240v 2 DOF is a good build and I commend your work, but I know for a fact a 12v motors 2DOF will move just as well.
    And before you post a video of frame vibrations claiming its the motors providing that, I already know its the bass shakers doing that work, not the motors.
  12. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Clever building of frame and careful balancing can result in an impressive DC sim and for DIY guys its so much safer. Specially for newbies to electronics. People just want more, more power, issue with the world today, lol.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Or a sabertooth 2x60!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    mmm let me think back , lol, 3x 900kg winches threw a builder here around quite well on a 3dof with little Jrks powering it, 25amp motors - 300W , just a clever build.

Yes the 2x60 would drive the 750's nicely @BlazinH , agree.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. riton

riton Active Member

Balance:
    1,006Coins
    Ratings:
    +103 / 3 / -0
    I translate with google and my English ...

my videos "vibration"
    there is only one engine and one BTK.

this one, it's only the motors, it's bad ?

the result is very good engine only on vibration.

the two together, it's just perfect!

The problem also exists in DC, you have big power supply., large H-bridge ... nothing perfect.

A good wiring prevents parasites.
  16. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mine does that as well.
    So whats your actual point? Or are you just backing Thanos because you are using his equipment.
    So you STILL take stabs at DC motors.
    Well guess what! thats what most of us use as @eaorobbie and @BlazinH have pointed out.
    AllI said that was 12v 6 DOFS are being developed.
    Thanos has a 240v 6 DOf here for sale and good luck to him and his sale.
    @riton , not al of use have the know how for building a 240v sim so STOP digging at us and how "better" it is.
    Compliment us and politely compare, stop being to blunt, or I can be very blunt as you should know.
    I have had enough of this, you are sounding like ISRTV guys. Go over there and tell them how much better a 240v motor sim is than their dbox and SCN units then.
    Dave out.
  17. riton

riton Active Member

Balance:
    1,006Coins
    Ratings:
    +103 / 3 / -0
    I just want to talk and exchange ideas.
    learn about the subject too.

I not understand all correctly ...
    I tried many things, Dc also .JRK 12v12 also
    it's just harder for me with DC motor to lift my simulation of 170 kg

I can not stand anyone in particular.

we can not talk about AC motor on this forum ??

I have great difficulty understanding the problems of people.
    DC motor AC motor, I do not care, I make simulators for fun, I love it! that is all!
    I have no problem with anyone.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. riton

riton Active Member

Balance:
    1,006Coins
    Ratings:
    +103 / 3 / -0
    I think you're very rude!
    I did not deserve this.

I share my work and I also learn from here in 2007.
    must stop being paranoid!
    talk about AC motor, develop others, may be so inclined to another person, everyone is not of your opinion may be.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Excuse me where did you see I have a motion platform for sale? Is there something I'm missing here?
  20. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    @riton, I enjoy exchanging and debating ideas myself so I welcome them! :)

You are right that it seems with all things there are trade offs that must be considered! :( But with an automobile battery (or maybe 2 for 24 volts or in parallel for more amperage capacity) and a 100amp DC power supply/charger, I think it should keep things going indefinitely. I may be being optimistic though! $100 for one battery and $200 for a supply/charger should get it done. If necessary however, one could double up and put only 3 motors on one battery/supply, but that would be getting expensive then for 6dof. I think in the end, using DC power will cost more than using AC power unless you can score some deals on what is needed. It would be interesting to see a comparison of cost between AC and DC.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014