1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

Trip's G-seat project (primarily for flight)

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Trip Rodriguez, Nov 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    4,084Coins
    Ratings:
    +291 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    @MarkusB I had time just now to sit and check out your thread on the G-vest. Using a medieval plate armor was epic! I got quite a bit of useful information from your thread, thank you.

Here's my plan for the vest at this point after reading your thread:

The sway and heave action of the vest is going to mostly just help my body move with the sway and heave action of the backrest. I think that to some extent it will be kinda attached to the backrest in fact. This way instead of only the back rest friction against your back pulling you over, the force is against your back and also the rest of your torso.

My concept is that the vest will be attached to the backrest and when you sit down you will pull it around you just like the harness and attach it at the front.

I'm planning to try to use something that is stiff, but not completely rigid to distribute the pressure over as much surface area as possible.

My #1 main goal with the vest is to crack my ribs if I pull too many G's in the F-14, F-16, and F-18. =D Seriously though, I want to have enough pressure applied that when G-lock starts coming on I ease up on the turn because it's legitimately unpleasant.

I should be able to play around with having the vest sway and heave exactly 1:1 with the back cushion, and also having it move more and move less via a simple mechanical way to change the ratio. I'll see what works best for me. If I really just don't like it I can disable everthing except positive surge.

I never had any plans to have the vest pull me forward for braking etc. I'm going to rely on the G-seat to move me. At least, that's the plan.

All of this really is such a tricky balancing act!

The one thing I think would be really beneficial that I don't have in my design is to actually pitch the entire G-seat forward for negative surge accelerations. I find that the feeling of "falling out" (forward) of the seat is very powerful. To best achieve this I feel like I'd have to lower the front edge of the seat a bit. I will instead only be able to raise the rear edge and tilt the back forward.

Damn, now I'm going to be thinking about how I can achieve a little of this with my existing system! Off the top of my head I kinda think there might not be anything preventing me from replacing the front "legs" of my seat (pictured above) with moving parts and attaching that to the surge actuator. I'm not talking about a huge dramatic movement, just lowering the front edge maybe an inch or so under max negative surge.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  2. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    4,084Coins
    Ratings:
    +291 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Ok, already got it figured out. =)

Instead of the four legs under the bottom cushion part there will be a "see-saw" with two arms coming down to push and pull (forward and back) on.

Even if this isn't useful for cues it will simply give me a better way than originally planned to adjust the angle of the bottom cushion which I had planned to be able to do anyway.

Edit: I don't think I'm going to play with actuating this unless I decide I need something more for sustained surge after using the seat. I do think I'm going to plan on having the seat bottom angle adjusted to a little less angle than I had planned initially which will make the heave tilt of the bottom cushion have better effect in this regard.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020