1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

Trigens G-Seat build starting up

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Trigen, Jan 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Trigen

Trigen Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hi guys!

So ive finally decided to go for this and ive got most of the parts. It will be based on the berginsons and Rift flyers builds https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/riftflyers-g-seat-project.8418/ I will build the seat in wood. I just need to borrow a saw to cut the side parts. I live in such a confined space at the moment that it will also be my comfy chair with wheels and some extra pillows in that mode. Think Tokyo living spaces.

I have started wiring up some ardunios for testing with a pot and the motors and i hope to start building the actual seat tomorrow. I still need some bearings for the wooden wheels so that will probably take a week or so. Id love to see a tutorial on exactly how but i think i got it correctly

Ive been thinking of connection the pots in a direct linkage instead of using gears. I have a 3d printer so i can do either if i so wish. Perhaps someone with more experience in this could say something about the resolution the pots would need. Perhaps a 2:1 gear ratio or is it fine with direct?

The rest is a bit trial and error. My motors are a bit on the small side but i dont weigh much.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

So far i have
    4x motors
    2x Ardunios and 50 amp controllers
    4x pots 10k ohm
    Wiring
    Wood
    Wood wheels to be made, have access to lathe. Need bearings
    All the linkages and rods.
    Lots of drilling holes, learned how to sharpen bits!

I need to get a hold of the link arm you see one that one motor (the black plastic) in metal as they didnt come with one, any tips on name of those are welcome!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Trigen

Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Didnt have a chance to edit so when i ask about tutorials thats about the Ardunio wirings. just so there is no missunderstandings ;)
  3. Trigen

Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Bumping so i can get 3 posts and allowed to do external links.
  4. Trigen

Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    So i couldnt sleep at all so i went on building instead. I think i will be able to build most of it today and perhaps even start the electronics. At the very least unless i hit a snag i should do most by tomorrow. I have decided to skip the wooden wheels for now and add that in later.

I got some new tools and some wheels for the seat. While they do have brakes on them im going with two in front and use rubber on the back so im sure it wont be moving around.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Trigen

Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Starting to think about placement

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Trigen

Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Had a bit of a setback with both my drivers being bad so ill have to wait for new ones. This rather sucks haha

In the meantime im finishing the build. My biggest cost is actually the tools to make things but luckily i can borrow some too. Like this lathe here to make wooden wheels. You can never have to many tools of course!

Apart from the tools the wood so far have been scavenged and about 25$ for the frame panels, not much at all! Since the wood one is mostly an experiment to see what work for me Im always on the lookout for a used car seat or perhaps even using my DxRacer and building bottom and back box for it, as compact as possible but might be a mix of servo and wiper motor's. This will be a lot easier with some experience with dimensions and such

Attached Files:

7. Trigen

Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    So i decided i just wasnt happy with the previous stuff. Im lacking the saw's i need to get a proper straight cut and it felt a little wonky. Instead i just decided to start on my Dx racer chair and it turned out to be easier (so far) than expected.

Here's the general idea. The wood panels are actually very sturdy attached like this. The PSU and all wiring will be in a box under the seat. I may build a box in the back later but for now it will be open but with the cabling hidden as much as i can. Thankfully the material i already had was a perfect fit! Ill get aluminium panels to save space for the flaps later. I got a machine shop 10 minutes away where i used to work so i should get that cheap.

PS this is my office chair too so im currently backless haha!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  8. Trigen

Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    As this will mainly be for flight sims im looking to get the most realistic G sense. I maybe actually use paddles (for better ground takeoff/landing noise) and a pneumatic system thats driven by the same motors. its an idea but will see on torque and stall
  9. Trigen

Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Getting a little further in my build. The backrest is essentially complete and working but the final position of things are not decided. I 3d printed some brackets for the pots but ill be replacing these with halls sensors later on. Ill use the same brackets though.

I am skipping the wheels for now as my tools just isnt up to the job of getting a true cut and holes so that will wait. I also have 2x sabertooth x32 on the way and may get another motor to do the belts for a more realistic feel.

One thing that bothers me is that the pressure you get from the flaps just dont feel right so as a go between i think i will cut them in half and use a hinge. That way i will get more hug feel from the pressure.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Trigen

Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    The seat is now fully operational but far from finished. The sabertooth's has arrived but im waiting for the resistors. Im testing one hooked up to a car battery. Im also testing out some cooling on the motors with the fan hot glued and they are cool to the touch. Its a wire mess i know!

I was happy to test it on Dirt rally today but as im real life's Donald duck my wheel (which ive already had to buy a new AC adapter that took 2 weeks to get here) decided it would no longer receive FFB signals after my forth run and a i cant afford a new one for a year lol. All centering forces work so go figure. Can still do flight sims though

Todo:

Mount PSU laying flat on the backrest. 3D print housing for both
    3D Print Boxes for motors with the fan on top and vent holes for a clean look
    Clean up all wiring

Later build things up and out so i get more width. DxRacer's are a bit narrow but acceptable for flaps.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Trigen

Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Added some on off switches and a some black cardboard to the back. It's not exactly small but will be less than half f that once I rearrange it. No rush though. Now comes the tuning and some more programming for the G seat.

I have to admit Dirt rally in VR with the seat tuned reasonably well is one hell of a ride in Finland! I do need to get the jump landings to feel better but other than that its just great!

Ps fixed the wheel, some moron at logi/microsoft added a switchbox for FFB (in game controllers settings where you dont normally go for logi) and turned it off by default, go figure.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  12. Trigen

Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Guess its time for an update!

Being bipolar the last rush to finish was completely manic haha so it got a bit ugly in the back. Ive been revamping the whole thing and decided to put some hall sensors in and clean it up. The hall sensors are kind of a blessing. For 180 degree and less G seats they really are perfect. Ive printed some mounts for them that i can easily move up down, in out and turn should i need to. Im also just finishing up the covers with fans etc for everything and most of that will be installed tomorrow. Motor covers hopefully the next day. Then you wont really know what is going on behind the seat as it is all covered up.

Still to do after that. Once i got some funds again is to first buy some high torque motors for the belt tensioner and then more powerful one for under the seat.

Couple of pics below. Ignore the mess on the floor haha! Ill post the finished stuff in a day or two.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019 at 21:47
  13. Trigen

Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Managed to finish most today! We'll see about motor covers later ive run out of black! Also need some stuff to cover up the leather seems around the psu etc

Also as you can see ive gotten some sponsorship :p I happen to be a kite team rider there though

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  14. zapata_h

zapata_h Member

Balance:
    130Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino