1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tommys simulator powered by wipermotors

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Tommy, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Tommy

Tommy New Member

Balance:
    243Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here are my gear ratio calculations:

My wiper motors gear ratio is 55:1 which means the motor turns 55 revolutions when the wiper arm turns 1 revolution.

Therefore I want my motor to turn 55/2= 27,5 revolutions when the potentiometer turns 10 revolutions. Which means the arm will turn a half revolution.

To get 10 revolutions out of 27,5 revolutions I use a smaller gear with 8 cogs and a bigger with 24 cogs, which gives me the ratio 8/24=1/3.

27,5 x 1/3= 9,16 -> the potentiometer will turn 9,16 revolutions when the wiper arm turns a half revolution.

This means that the wiper motor arm will turn a bit more than a half revolution when you move it in x-sim. You can however correct this by reducing the movement in the program.

I hope this will help you with the calculating. :)
  2. ne02005

ne02005 Member

Balance:
    105Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Thanks you Tommy!!!!
  3. ne02005

ne02005 Member

Balance:
    105Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hi, one more question.
    What kind of power supply are working on your simulator?

I´m using 12v 38 A power supply
    Thanks

Attached Files:

4. Tommy

Tommy New Member

Balance:
    243Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm using a 12V car battery.

I measured the voltage now and with 11,9V as input I got ~11,0V out on one motor and ~10,0V on the other. This is when the motors are attached to the chair. I noticed that the output voltage rose to ~11,9V when i helped the motors turning. I guess that means everything is OK with my H-Bridge and maybe yours too if your simulator is heavy to move?
    I also noticed that the output sank to ~5V if I stopped the motors from turning.

I'm actually not sure that my simulator works as it should because the ideal would be always 12V at full speed, even if the motors are stopped from turning. Maybe someone that reads this knows better?
  5. ne02005

ne02005 Member

Balance:
    105Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    maybe I have a Hot issue with the coolers.!
    Thanks