1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tommys simulator powered by wipermotors

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Tommy, Mar 7, 2009.

1. christian

christian Member

Balance:
    997Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5, SimforceGT
    Yes its a 10-turns poti
  2. Michael N.

Michael N. Member

Balance:
    611Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hi Tommy :hi: ,

any news?
  3. Tommy

Tommy New Member

Balance:
    243Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi!
    I had some problems with the LCD and the DSMhb-card but it is now solved and everything seems to work as it should. :yippiee:
    I have not been able to try it with the chair yet since i have unmounted the motors for testing. I am a little worried about the transistors because they get very hot really fast. It will be interesting to see what happens when I connect them to the chair.

I have an own solution to the gearing for the pots. I will post pictures of it later on after I tested it more :D
    Btw. the gear ratio in my vipermotors are 55:1

Next is to learn how to get the data out of the games and into the amc-card :)
  4. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Sure? Never seen 25 turn pots so far....
  5. Tommy

Tommy New Member

Balance:
    243Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Im pretty sure that the ratio between the motor and the outgoing shaft is 55:1 but it has nothing to do with my pots. I think you miss understood me. :? I dont remember the ratio between the shaft and my pots anymore. I will check it later.
  6. Tommy

Tommy New Member

Balance:
    243Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have done some more testing today and everything seems to work fine as long as I dont connect the motors to the DSMhb-card. The leds light up as they should do and everything is ok. But when I connect the motors it only take a couple of seconds before the transistor get so hot that you cant touch them. What do you think might be wrong?

The only thing I can think of is that the card leads a current to the motors almost all the time. The current is not big enough to move the motors, but big enough to burn the transistors. Is that possible?

I was going to try to rise the kp-value to check if that could help, but I did not get any connection between Hyper terminal and the amc card. The LCD screen says AMC1.5 setup KP , TIP:use Terminal. Do you know what might be the problem? I have followed the steps in the AMC manual.

Regards Tommy
  7. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

You need to isolate the motors from the metal frame, is you didn't modified them to separate the ground from their housing!!!!

Also the motor supply ground should NOT be connected to the AMC ground too!!!

Regards, Thanos
  8. Tommy

Tommy New Member

Balance:
    243Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I checked the isolation and one of the motors was isolated from the frame so that should not be the problem. I have also tested with only one motor, with the same result. The AMC and the motor ground is not connected.

Could it be that the leds works as normal even if the transistors are faulty?

I guess all my transistors are broken now so I have to buy more after the weekend. :(
  9. Tommy

Tommy New Member

Balance:
    243Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi and happy Easter everybody!!
    I have done some more testing now and notised that half of my DSMhb-card is probably working properly. (At least the transistors without any cooling doesnt get too hot to touch after driving one lap in LFS. I guess that is acceptable)
    The other part of the card also work but one of the transistors get overheated when the car drives on the long straight part in LFS. The amperemeter also shows that its flowing a pretty big current trough the circuit then.

Its the transistor that should be a the marked spot that gets too hot.

[​IMG]

Any suggestions what to do?

Regards Tommy
  10. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

Perhaps your seat is a little unbalanced and stressing more the motor in that direction, causing the particular mosfet overheat!

Swap that mosfet in another position to see if its still overheating... !

Regards, Thanos
  11. Tommy

Tommy New Member

Balance:
    243Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I tried to swap the mosfets but its still the mosfet in that position that overheats. I notised one thing now with the working part of my card. If I simulate manually with force profiler it sometimes happends the same as for the non-working part. The motor does not move but a current of ~1A flows trough the circuit -> the mosfet overheat. I guess this will be a problem. Is it possible to make the power to the motors more like on/off instead of linear? Could it help to change the KP-value?

Regards Tommy
  12. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

So it maybe motor failure then, Did you tried swapping motors? Still same effect?

I recently compared the simple 12v wiper motors I use, with a 24v industrial servo motor, I had on hands, and the differences was outstanding! The wiper motor was actually drawing more that 1 amps before starting to rotate and around 6 amps in full speed, while the industrial servo motor didn't make the ammeter needle go over 2amps even in full speed.

Another difference was that the current ripple in wiper motors was so bad that I was able to observe huge voltage dropouts when motor started to move...

I guess you get what you pay for...

I you increase a lot the KP value (more than 10) you may get a on-off result for each direction, but be aware that you may experience overshooting then!!!

Regards, Thanos
  13. Tommy

Tommy New Member

Balance:
    243Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is the same effect with both of them but one of them is worse. The strange thing is that this doesnt happen so often when I simulate with LFS, but almost immediately when I move it manually in profiler.

One thing I notised is also the voltage is low when the motor should move only a little. Is that right? First I thought that the speed is only regulated by the current and the voltage is continously 12V, but that doesnt seem to be the case.

I will try to change the kp-value as next if I can get it connected to the computer.

Regards Tommy
  14. Michael N.

Michael N. Member

Balance:
    611Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hi Tommy,
    I´m using a KP-value of 25 :yes: and i know Christian is using a value of 30 :D for his Wipermotor-SimForceGT-Simulator.
  15. Tommy

Tommy New Member

Balance:
    243Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Michael,

Good to know. The problem is I cant get it connected to Hyper Terminal. :no:
    I dont know what Im doing wrong. As I wrote earlier, the LCD screen says AMC1.5 setup KP , TIP:use Terminal, but nothing happens in hyperterminal. Are there any differens what I have in country/region, area code and phone number?
    Maybe the problem is the serial to usb-adapter?

Regards Tommy
  16. Michael N.

Michael N. Member

Balance:
    611Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hi Tommy,
    did you connect the DB9-cable onto the IO Data Port from the AMC-Board? (not ISP Prog.-Port). Can you show us a photo from the AMC-Board with cable connected?.
    Are you using Windows XP?.
  17. erichans

erichans New Member

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Tommy,
    Nice project and you moved so fast!! I had a huge problem with getting the HyperTerminal going. I'm therefore referring you to Tronic's AMC motor motion-controller with pwm/servo output, Pp 49 and 50. I got some invaluable advice from Thanos and Ego that led to a solution and I'm sure will be of use to you. Other simple things too, I got stuck with :uups: When you get the screen finally, and if its blank, press AMC reset!!! Thanos covered that too!!!

Regards, Erich.
  18. Tommy

Tommy New Member

Balance:
    243Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    I can't find anything wrong with the connections. I have done everything the guide says.

I hope you can find something wrong on this pic.
    [​IMG]

Regards, Tommy
  19. Michael N.

Michael N. Member

Balance:
    611Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    on the picture it seems everythink looks good and i think the serial usb-adapter should be working because you was able to programming the ATmega-Chip (or?).
    Which Operating System are you using?. Windows XP or Vista?.
    Jeroen has same Problems, look HERE, but i do not know if he solved this problem.

You made that, what Erich wrote, Tommy?.
  20. Michael N.

Michael N. Member

Balance:
    611Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0