1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

To Much Info, not sure where to start

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by tonyuk100, Apr 18, 2009.

1. tonyuk100

tonyuk100 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi guys, I am a complete newbie to motion sim building and stumbled on it by pure accident, I think I saw 1 on you tube and took it from there. I am now totally hucked but also very very confused. I want to build a motion sim based around the joyrider to work with flight sims, I have spent weeks reading all the posts etc in the forums and I have come to the concluclution that it is going to be based around car wiper motors, as the actuators that seem very common place on here are out of my price range, I would like to use 4 motors as i have been reading a post by tronicgr that this is now possible. Building a platform of some sort is not the problem as I am fairly good at building this kind of thing, the problem is the controller boards etc ( electronics ). Can anyone tell me exactly what i need to make 4 motors work with x-sim.
    I have no idea how to build circuit boards etc and to be honest i dont really want to try, so does anybody know if there is anything i can buy from somewhere or someone that will do the job i am trying to do, I have looked on website that sell boards to construct robots etc, could any of theses be used for example. Something like Tronic's AMC motor motion-controller that i have read a lot about on here. I want to build a small scale working prototype so its cheap to construct, then build the real thing etc.
    Also a list of parts for 1 working sim would be helpful as there seem to be so many different ways of putting these things together.
    Please bear in mind I am not a programmer etc of anysort so anything i buy would have to be compatible with available programs some of you guys have done. I would like to thank anyone in advance for any help you can give me to get started on this project as I am amazed at just how good your home made motions sims are and the amount of effort and time you all give to help idots like me make something similar. Tony.
  2. Sequel

Sequel New Member

Balance:
    306Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes, for me to, a have the same story like tonyuk100.
    Found this forum 1,5 week ago. I was looking for a sim cockpit, order almost a Vpp rack, but came on this site, and it was amazing that we can built a SimConMotion by ourself.

Reading a lots of posts, but never find the manual to build a Frex liked one. And i see that a lot off people here make it on there own...
    Found good information in [*]Mr Burn's simulator[*], but missing the length of the aluminum profiles, and what kind & how much of pieces we have to youse.
    Found the site for building a joyrider, but its not what i want. (http://www.acesim.com/plans.html
    Also reading this topic: [*]Step by Step... approaching to Thanos work.[*] But it is not Frex styled.
    Found very good photo's etc. from mr Tom Theison topic [*]My Future Motion Cockpit[*] IT'S GREAT!!! but no aluminum profiles details...
    Of shut i buy the Frex cockpit?

So is there a rookie manual that explains everything from the very first step to the very last step? (will anybody make it for the rookie cockpit builders?)
    I will pay for it is needed.
    How much aluminum profile, what kind of type is the best, what kind of pieces we need also, a plan, etc...

I now, i can buy a SimConMotion by Frex itself, but the taxes and the transport cost to Europe are to high for me. :no:

I hope that you read my post without any errors...
    Dutch is my mother language... ;D

Greetings from Antwerp, Belgium.
    Dave Ludikhuyze
  3. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,839Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
  4. Sequel

Sequel New Member

Balance:
    306Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you so much! Weeks & hours of reading, but never found these pages...
    Now we are in business... :clap:
  5. tonyuk100

tonyuk100 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply raceray but that link is for a car racing sim using actuators, I want to build for a flight sim similar to joyrider using electric wiper motors.
    Im sure i have read nearly every topic in every section but im still confused about where to start, mostly with the electronic side of it, building the actual structor won't be a problem.
  6. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi tonyuk100,

The base is the same for both type of actuators used, whether they are SCN5 or simple Car wiper motor.

See below an implementation with car wiper motors:
    christian-s-2dof-simulator-powered-by-wipermotors-t892.html

:cheers:

Best Regards, Thanos

@Raceray: Hey! What was that, that put the grin on your avatar back? :lol:
  7. tonyuk100

tonyuk100 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That looks like a perfect tutorial for me to work from, unfortunatly i can only read english, is there a link to a guild like that thats in english, sorry to be a pain and i really do appreciate the help you guys are giving. On another note im just in the process of making a uv exposure unit using your guild, I:E converting a flatbed scanner, iv bought the uv tubes off ebay £12 for 4, 2 inverters from maplins, £10, and a flatbed scanner off ebay which was 99p. it should be delivered any day now so i'll be able to get on with making the boards i think i need.
  8. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi tonyuk100,

I don't either speak German. My natural language is Greek and learned English though my on-line conversations about motion simulators. Learning to speak German is not far way but until then, fortunately enough for me and you, there are tools that can translate whole pages:

http://translate.google.com/transla...of-simulator-powered-by-wipermotors-t892.html

I don't know if there is a better guide for SimForceGT sim than Christian's so far! :cheers:

Regards, Thanos
  9. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,839Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hey guys,

Than you could read that posts:

Maybe you should not try to make it on your own. Etching pcb´s is a complex thing. If you do it only for one or two pcb´s it is more expensive than making the boards by someone professional and the quality is not as well. You could get into trouble, when you try to find errors on the constructed board later.

Look here for cheap professional pcb´s
    pcb-etching-service-t710.html

Some very nice guys here ;)
  10. tonyuk100

tonyuk100 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks to both of you ( Thanos & Raceray ) for all your valuable help and info, you guys are the best. Truthfully Raceray i didnt want to attempt to build the boards myself but i didnt know where to get them done, so thanks for that link i'll take a look at that.
  11. tonyuk100

tonyuk100 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok guys i promise this is the last question am going to ask.
    Can someone give me links to all the pcb boards that i need to build this thing using wiper motors.
    Im a little confused because theres seems to be so many different ideas floating about on here.
    im trying to follow Thanos website but that is taking about the basic stamp etc, then on here it is taking about the AVR board & h bridge etc.
    A list of pcb boards with a link to where i can get them, I already have the link to get the boards made thanks to Raceray if they cann't be bought.
    Thanks.
  12. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,839Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  13. tonyuk100

tonyuk100 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    cheers Raceray, i have now a good idea, I have emailed the guy who makes the pcb boards and he has replyed to me with a quote, or at least i think its a quote as its in his native language, ( german I think ) unfortunatly i have no idea what it says, i can make out the 39 euros and thats about it, I have asked him to resend it in english but as yet no reply, i do remember seeing another link on here about this guy saying his english is very very limited, so is there anybody that will be willing to translate it for me if i send the email to them, I just need to know what i asked him to make is what he has quoted for. thankyou.
  14. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,839Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi, pm me his mail, i can translate it for you.

now i have to celebrate my girfriends birthday, so the answer comes tommorow :)