1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tiny Lettering

Discussion in '3D Printing' started by Historiker, Mar 1, 2016.

1. bruce stephen

bruce stephen Hammer doesnt fix it, must be electrical

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,238 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    @Historiker here are some of the projects. Mind you ive,only had it since November and i have way too much going on at once. Id like to get more time with it.
    20151111_100655.jpg 20151127_181300.jpg 20151116_161635_001.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  2. RufusDufus

RufusDufus Well-Known Member

Balance:
    15,650Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,009 / 9 / -1
    @Historiker, this is what I get using my standard settings... looks similar to yours.

0.4mm nozzle, ABS, 0.3mm layers. Even though I slowed the print a bit it still seemed very fast movements for the tiny letters. It looks like it was over extruding a bit as well.

IMG_0231.JPG
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Thanks Rufus! That is about what I get with the "2" but your ALOW is a bit clearer than mine. I will try as @shannonb1 recommends and slow the print down at the lettering.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. insanegr

insanegr !N$@n€

Balance:
    16,715Coins
    Ratings:
    +499 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    @Historiker i agree with all above. you can use different slicer and lower speeds to see how your prints will look like. i think smaller nozzle or a different hot end could make a difference in quality too
    i have printed your sample with no scale as you provided the stl 0.2 mm layer and with PLA. Here are two results with different slicers.
    IMG_1266.JPG IMG_1267.JPG
    first is with slic3r and second is with simplify3d. had printed it first with slic3r and thought that a paid slicer could do better but it did not(default settings).
    these are my speed settings from slic3r
    Untitled.png .
    don't have simplify settings but i can ask my friend who sliced it a screen shot if you are interested
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. shannonb1

shannonb1 Well-Known Member

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino, JRK, 4DOF
    If you have a dual extrusion unit I would put a .2 nozzle on one and use that at the layer where you start to have your lettering. Let your .4 build you up to that layer before the text..you could actually make your secondary color black as well.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    My .2mm nozzle showed up along with the PETG but I will not be home until tomorrow night and have to wait to try it out.

I did try slic3r with your settings @insanegr with about the same results as you show above. Better than previous but not as good as I will need. If the .2mm/PETG combo doesnt work I will go back to acrylic and engrave them with my CNC router again.
    • Like Like x 2