1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Three times a charm

Discussion in 'SimTools DIY Version' started by terry wells, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Did you make sure you exited out of SMC utilities before opening Simtools?

In the Game Engine under Interface settings the output - Bit Range should be 10 not 8. There is no need for anything under startup nor shutdown (that I know of).
  2. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Additionally; your PWMmax in the SMC3 utility looks very low at 110, you might boost that up, if you look at the PWM line (yellow) you will see that it is not on very often at all.
  3. terry wells

terry wells Active Member

retired military
    Balance:
    734Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    Yes, I did exit out of SMC, I will make those changes and let you know.
    Terry
  4. terry wells

retired military
    Balance:
    734Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    OK, works with mouse and I now have virtual axis, and input and output on the tuner screen. I think the sliders need to be adjusted/inverted
    Terry.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  5. terry wells

retired military
    Balance:
    734Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    Question! How do you invert the axis and what do I need to do to get "MORE" movement on my motors? (CW / CCW)

Attached Files:

6. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    In Simtools you can invert the axis by clicking the button next to each axis, this reverses the direction. It is usually best to keep the Simtools axis going the same way in other words for both axis in pitch they would both be either checked or unchecked. For roll one would be checked the other not.

You can get more movement on your motors by adjusting the settings in SCM3 utility or in Simtools by increasing the axis range.

How much range are you getting on each motor and how much do you want? You really only need very little on the motors depending on how long the arms are, longer arms less range but less ability to move a weight, the inverse is also true.

By the way, why do you think the sliders need to be inverted?
  7. terry wells

retired military
    Balance:
    734Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    Right now I am getting about 20 to 25 degrees of angle both ways. That probably is ok but I was looking for about 40 to 45 degrees both ways. I tried the uncheck and checked box in sims tools( Axes assignments) roll and pitch to see if that would work however nothing changed. Now keep in mind that I am checking this using the mouse in the Quick Start Guide under Checking the direction of movements. I wanted to make sure all was working before I download a Game Plugin. I will change my default like you said before I check it again. Thank You
    Terry W.
  8. terry wells

retired military
    Balance:
    734Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    I ran the game (LFS) with no power applied to see the movement on the virtual axis screen in Sims Tools and this is what I have. How do I get the sliders to the center position, and I tried to change dir by clicking in axis assignments but when I run the game the roll (left/right) is reversed.
    Terry

Attached Files:

9. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Terry, you cannot manipulate the sliders on that page. They are only there to give you a graphical representation of what information the game is sending to simtools and where simtools is sending the axis. Great tool for tuning your rig.

If you want to adjust the forces for each DoF while in game you can use the profile editor in game manager or adjust the min/max in tuning center.

EDIT: The sliders represent the orientation of the car in the game at that moment. So the car is probably on a hill/incline. Not at all unusual for LFS as the track that you can use in the demo starts out on a hill side.
  10. terry wells

retired military
    Balance:
    734Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    Next question, when my motors are at their max movement I get a lot of jittering on the actuator using my mouse to check my axis.is this normal?
    Terry
  11. RufusDufus

RufusDufus Well-Known Member

Balance:
    15,650Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,009 / 9 / -1
    Hi Terry, The SMC3 driver has some safety built into it... if the position of the motors moves into the "Limit" zone setup with SMC3Utils, it reverses the motors as a braking mechanism and then to drive them back out of the limit zone. In theory this is intended to help stop you sim get broken from the motors turning too far.

I am guessing as you try to move to the limit with your mouse this reversing keeps kicking in making it appear as though it is stuttering. If it is happening elsewhere maybe we need to investigate.

You can check the Limit zone setting in SM3Utils. Between 50 and 100 is common but not mandatory.
  12. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Vibrations can be caused by noise on the pot lines or quality of pots too, @RufusDufus can a deadzone be set for the pots to soften these vibrations.
  13. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    You can check if it is a bad pot or noisy lines by looking at the feedback in the SMC3 utility, the blue line should move smoothly, if there is a lot of spiking you know something is wrong.

The jitter might be from your mouse's ability to move smoothly. If you are dragging the slider try very slow and precise left and right movement. Moving the mouse up or down at all will cause the slider to lose connection with the mouse pointer for a moment or more.

If the two above suggestions do not pan out then the only thing that I can think of is that Rufus is absolutely correct (not that I doubt him in the first place, just giving other suggestions as to what to check).
  14. terry wells

retired military
    Balance:
    734Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    Thank you all for your help and explanations. I will check them out and let you know I found.
    Terry W.
  15. terry wells

retired military
    Balance:
    734Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    I have a problem, I downloaded the game plugins today and tried my proto type platform. With DCS the game shows game connected (blue) on the game manager and on the game engine, but there is no movement on the platform what so ever. With FSX I get an error message, is shutting down. With LFS it is working, but I need to tweak some things to make the platform move in the direction of my joy stick. Why will it not work in the game plugins?
    Terry W.

Attached Files:

16. insanegr

insanegr !N$@n€

Balance:
    16,715Coins
    Ratings:
    +499 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    i don't know if you already tried , run it as an administrator.
  17. terry wells

retired military
    Balance:
    734Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    I copied the file into sim tools and FSX seems to be working however I do need to a lot of tweaking because there is hardly no movement to my platform when moving my joy stick" but" it is working. I have input and output in the tuning center. Now as for DCS I am getting nothing. I have everything setup the same for FSX and DCS. what can I do to make this work? Terry W.

Attached Files:

18. AceOfSpies

AceOfSpies Living the Dream!

Balance:
    19,614Coins
    Ratings:
    +244 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    Hi @terry wells, the values shown in the Tuning Centre are too high. The lower the value, the more intense the motion.
    Try reducing the values to 20 and go down from there until you have the amount of movement you want.

Mike
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. AceOfSpies

AceOfSpies Living the Dream!

Balance:
    19,614Coins
    Ratings:
    +244 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    Sorry, I'm talking about the values for roll, pitch and yaw.
  20. terry wells

retired military
    Balance:
    734Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    The only numbers/values that I can change in the tuning center are the game data input and they are all "0". What numbers/values should I lower? OK I figured it out, I can change the values however the game is not getting any input into the tuning center. I did a repatch but that did not work
    Terry W.
    Last edited: May 15, 2014