1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

theboemio simple 2dof motion simulator with wiper motors

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by theboemio, Dec 12, 2010.

1. theboemio

theboemio New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    English version

Hello to all the community!

This is the second simulator that I built, I did not post the first one because my PC does not pass through customs on the way to my new home here in Mexico but, I promise to publish it as soon as the recovery. 8)

My hardware:

PC:
    965 x4 Phenom 3.4 GHz
    4 Gb Ddr Ram Ghz March 1333
    Monster Power 800w
    Nvidia GeForce GTS250
    Gigabyte Ga-M68m-S2 Socket Am3

Parts and accessories
    Toyota Corolla Seat
    Logitech g25 with some modifications made by me
    LG Full HD Display 42
    Analog handbrake
    E-Dimencional glasses

Motion control:
    85 w 2 wiper motors
    Dual Motor Driver Carrier MD03A VNH2SP30
    Pololu Micro Serial Servo Controller
    4 Power HD Micro Servo HD-1800A
    Monster Power 800w atx

9.jpg
    8.jpg
    7.jpg
    6.jpg
    5.jpg
    4.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.jpg

I've used a single PC for both the game to control.

Here is the simple diagram:

DIAGRAM.JPG

Works simple, the X-SIM software is compatible with RS-232 interface, then connect the servo controller through the serial port and servos to this and should move with the correct configuration in PROFILER. Disarmed after the servos to extract the PMW signals that will be amplified by the motor controller VNH2SP30 and sent to the wiper motor, and just stay attach the pots to the motors.

I've used a 800w ATX power supply, 80A on the 12V output according to the brochures and I made some internal changes, including:

* Cancel the protection against over voltage.
    * Raise the tension of 12v to 14v.
    * regulated the output of 14 volts.

Typically these sources only regulate the 5v voltage by the error amplifier within the IC then, we must send the same intention but since the ouput of 12v, so when the voltage drop will increase the output IC to replace the voltage drop, We do this with a pot and turn the shaft to get about 14 or 13 volts regulated.

In this source power vast with remove the leg of the IC shoot protection according to its data-sheet number 4

This will be different for each power supply according to its inner workings.

As for the simulation of the wind, it creates another axis with the values of the wind and used the output of the other servo PMW placing the pot in a stable position and taking advantage of the margin of error for controlling the fans. A very inusuable to do but gives very good results.

Here a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwY-mxZTqsM

Although I have no video with fans and other accessories as soon as I get the camera can be sharing here in this thread.

Version en español

Hola a toda la comunidad!

Este es el segundo simulador que he construido, no pude publicar el primero por que mi PC no paso por aduana de camino a mi nueva casa aqui en Mexico pero, prometo publicarlo en cuanto la recupere.

My hardware:

PC:
    Phenom x4 965 3.4 Ghz
    4 Gb Ram Ddr 3 1333 Ghz
    Fuente Monster 800w
    Nvidia Geforce Gts250
    Gigabyte Ga-M68m-S2 Socket Am3

Partes y accesorios:
    Asiento toyota corolla
    Logitech g25 con algunas modificaciones hechas por mi
    Pantalla LG full HD 42
    Freno de mano analogico
    E-Dimencional gafas

Motion control:

2 wiper motors 85 w
    Dual VNH2SP30 Motor Driver Carrier MD03A
    Pololu Micro Serial Servo Controller
    4 Power HD Micro Servo HD-1800A
    Fuente Monster 800w atx

9.jpg
    8.jpg
    7.jpg
    6.jpg
    5.jpg
    4.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.jpg

Yo he utilizado una sola PC tanto para el juego como para el control.

Aqui esta el diagrama muy simple:

DIAGRAM.JPG

Funciona simple, el software X-SIM is compatible con la interfas de rs-232, entonces conecto la controladora de servos por el puerto serial y los servos a esta y deberian moverse con la configuracion correcta en el PROFILER. Despues desarmo los servos para extraer las señales PMW que seran amplificadas por la controladora de motore VNH2SP30 y enviadas a los wiper motor, ya solo quedara acoplar los pots a los motors.

Yo he utilizado una fuente atx de 800w, 80A en la salida de 12v segun los folletos y le hecho algunas modificaciones internas, como:

*Anular la proteccion contra sobre-tensiones.
    *Elevar la tension de 12v a 14v.
    *Regular la salida de 14 volts.

Normalmente estas fuentes solo regulan la tension de 5v mediante un amplificador de error dentro del CI entonces, hay que hacer llegar la misma tencion pero desde la salida de 12v, asi cuando caiga el voltaje el CI aumentara la salida para reponer la caida de voltaje, esto lo hacemos con un pot y lo giramos asta obtener unos 14 o 13 volts regulados.

En esta fuente vasto con remover la pata del CI que dispara la proteccion segun su data-sheet la numero 4

Esto sera diferente para cada fuente de poder de acuerdo a su funcionamiento interno.

En cuanto a la simulacion del viento, se crea otro eje con los valores del viento y se usa la salida PMW del otro servo situando el pot en una posicion estable y aprovechando el margen de error para controlar los ventiladores. Una manera muy inusuable de hacerlo pero da muy buenos resultados.

Aqui un video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwY-mxZTqsM

Aun no tengo un video con los ventiladores y los demas accesorios, en cuanto me llegue la camara los estare compartiendo aqui en este hilo.
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Nice build! Congrats!

I would perhaps restrict the sideways movements a little.

Regards
  3. fermevc

fermevc Member

Networking and telecomunication
    Balance:
    5,956Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Nice one :thbup:
    And in your next video try not to sing so loud :lol: :lol:
  4. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    LOL, the Hifi playing the soundtrack broke in the background. He had to do something about it! :D

Good job! But where do you take the feedback for positioning? And how does that board convert RC signals to PWM?
  5. fermevc

fermevc Member

Networking and telecomunication
    Balance:
    5,956Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    I saw the pots in one of his pics. Looks like regular motor shaft mounting, so ... :)
  6. theboemio

theboemio New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    disassemble the servo motors, I replaced the original Pots for a few pots of equal value and connect the outputs of small motor to pins INA and INB of Pololu motor controller for feeding direction of the motors and pull them into the input pin PMW with diodes to prevent a short circuit, so only receive the PWM signals. :hi:

000000000.jpg
    35353.jpg
  7. theboemio

theboemio New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    :lol: :thbup:
  8. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    So you are using the circuit from RC servos for position control... That is very smart! I never thought about that. :D
  9. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,402Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Well done another pololu sim hits the tracks tried this myself but could get them to work nice but i see now what i did wrong. Jrk12v12s ended up working for me.

Well done for thinking out of the square.
  10. ApacheXMD

ApacheXMD New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The in-game steering wheel doesn't match the G25. Is there a reason for that?
  11. theboemio

theboemio New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The game Need For Speed Shift does not simulate the 900 º of rotation that has the g25 only turns about 200 degrees, it would be necessary to change the configuration of g25 to 200 º.

In games like LFS can simulate the 900 ° swivel and looks great. :cheers: