1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

The Woodie

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by JRL, Dec 10, 2008.

1. JRL

JRL New Member

Balance:
    5Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My original intention was to build a gimbal type sim based on the joyrider (see BlueTiger replica), however I decided to rethink my project and create something anyone can build and do it on the cheap (very cheap indeed).

The basic frame is designed around common wood framing (2x4, 2x6, plywood and tempered hardboard) and should cost less than $50 US. I will use wiper motors and the typical universal joint. The pedal / steering assembly will be fully adjustable (fore and aft) by using drawer slides and L shaped anchor bolts. My goal is to build the sim for under $120 US plus the electronics and wheel / pedal assembly :brows:

I have attached my first design study for your viewing and comments. I will complete fully dimensioned / detailed drawings and post them.

Attached Files:

2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    This design is pointless imo. It will give you neither g-force feeling, due to restricted movement range in either x and y axis, nor will it give you a sense of speed like the simforcegt, where the wheel is fixed.

Imho, you either should build a g-force type simulator with greater movement range like Thronicgr' Joyrider or a RnR type sim, or you build a muscle strain simulator like the simforcegt with wiper motors, like Christian, yobuddy and Elektronikjack have built.

Your design just would make sense with much greater movement range, but this would require alot more power, than you can get out of wiper motors.

regards
    Christian
  3. JRL

JRL New Member

Balance:
    5Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the input Christian.

Do you think the fact that I intended to have the wheel / pedal assembly move with the seat creating a loss of G force immersion. From my calculations the seat has the same degree of movement as most of the sims on this board.

I don't follow the argument that the wiper motors are insufficient as the setup would be just like the others on this forum.

In summation all I have done is make it out of wood rather then T slot and allowed the pedals / steering wheel to move - what am I missing?

Thanks again for the guidance.
  4. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    And that is the killer. It adds a significant portion of mass inertia (pedal wheel mount extension, your legs, and the wheel. As well the leaverage makes it even worse). The SimforceGT on the other hand just moves your back an the seat.

And you cannot compare it to the Joyrider or RnR for example, as the center of gravity is located in the middle of the body and well ballanced in both x and y axis direction, while in your design the CG is under the seat. Your design tilts over the cg, and that requires alot more power.

But built it how you like. In case I am right you can cut of the front part still ;D

As well you should it keep as lightweight as possible.

regards
    Christian
  5. JRL

JRL New Member

Balance:
    5Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks - I do have a big saw if needed :D

While my sketch doesn't show accurately the pivot point location but it does seem to me the weight would be counter balanced and the inertia less of a problem if the entire assembly is balanced for my weight.

This is the reason I made the post on this forum - far more knowledge than I have - again thanks - I will think on it some more.
  6. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Your pivot will be the joint of base and seat.
  7. JRL

JRL New Member

Balance:
    5Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know where the pivot is and the exact location would be determined mathematically. I'm not trying to be argumentative or be a smart ass just looking for input.

My experience building sims is zero however as a former pilot I have hundreds of hours in various sims - some full motion and some with zero motion. The full motion sims (movement of the seat and controls) provided a full effect of motion. The last sim I experienced was an air force C 5 which had zero movement however the experience was very life like due to the 180 degree visual projection.
  8. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Hi,

a question in advance:

What kind of sim do you prefer?

For Flightsim´s many users like the joyrider-designs. On the other hand a simulator for racingsims - when it should be very cheap - is more suitable with a 2DOF frex-like design. Seat should independant from wheel and pedals.

regards