1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

The RC-Rider Project (Let's 'Ride' Radio Controlled Models!)

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by yobuddy, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Nix Park

Nix Park New Member

SW Engineer
    Balance:
    - 53Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Motion platform
    I am studying this post with interest.
    Thank you for putting a lot of information in the post.

I'm going to run a test using wifi rather than a radio module.

If possible, can you share the source code of 'simtools game plugin' and 'rcrider app' you used?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. cfischer

cfischer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,515Coins
    Ratings:
    +241 / 1 / -0
    Wifi is likely going to add a lot of latency.
  3. Peacemaker105

Peacemaker105 Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,977Coins
    Ratings:
    +352 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hey!! wow this is what i have wanted to do for ages!!

I swear i searched a million times but i was obviously looking for the wrong keywords.
    This is awesome!! I have been looking into it lately and if you havcent heard of ExpressLRS well its a fairly new to the game transmission system that we are all using these days. It also has a firmware called Airport which sends telemetry data via mavlink or MSP to your computer using a secondary transmitter and reciever. with recievers being about 5 grams now it would be better suited to a mini whoop and do without the arduino and gyro and telemetry wifi module. Plus every flight controller on the market will be compatible with it as they all use the same messaging system
    see:
    https://www.expresslrs.org/software/airport/

The flight controller (betaglight/inav) already puts out telemetry using MSP messages like MSP_RAW_IMU (9dof) and MSP_ATTITUDE. Wonder if there is a way to pull this data using a program like RCRider..

https://github.com/betaflight/betaflight/blob/master/src/main/msp/msp_protocol.h

Any thoughts? It's obviously way out of my expertise haha.
  4. T R Para

T R Para i make stuff up

Retired
    Balance:
    2,436Coins
    Ratings:
    +357 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Yeah I worked on this on and off over the years. What I found worked best for me in the aircraft was the head tracker from RCG and an immersion rc EZ UHF junior transmitter module and on the ground the receiver. I built a simple 3 dof miniature platform using 9 gram servos . The ezuhf is on 434mhz and I was using frsky on 2.4ghz. The motion was pitch roll and heave.
    I think you can use a plug in called joystick to run your actuators. Things get a little fuzzy here as it has been a few years.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Peacemaker105

Peacemaker105 Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,977Coins
    Ratings:
    +352 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Oh thats actually a good solution too! I might try with this arduino code and get some interest with the betaflight/inav community and see if they want to help. Adding the extra wieght to planes or 5" quads wouldnt be muchy of a problem but when messing with toothpick style quads every gram counts.