1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

The easy way to build a 2 DOF motion simulator for ~$550 USD

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by bobdahaxor, Aug 13, 2009.

1. bobdahaxor

bobdahaxor New Member

Balance:
    9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I started and am working on a motion simulator that will cost me about $550 USD!
    Specifications:
    2x 12 linear actuators capable of lifting 200lbs at 9mm /sec
    .125 1 square tubing
    17 DOF front and back 17+DOF left to right
    Logitech G25 steering wheel and pedal set
    AMC 1.5 Board by thanos
    Dual H-bridge By thanos
    2x 2x6 wood planks for the base
    Playseat Classic Gaming seat

So I started out on here... with NO idea how to do any of this.... and now I know exactly from step 1-done! It was a lot of time doing research for parts, since there are very few off the shelf parts for this. I thought about using wiper motors, but I wanted more umph. I've used window motors for robotics before and they seemed lacking for this project. I've actually had about 3-4 years experience with similar motors to what everyone here is using. I looked into other motors, but decided that linear actuators are the best bet. They are designed for moving things, nor will I have any issues since they are designed to handle massive weights! I also don't have to buy additional universals and weld onto the window motor, which I believe would be one of the first things to fail and also hard to do for an inexperienced welder.
    I started with no plans, just a tape measure and my mind. The result is this chassis....
    The square section is to support and bolt to the seat while the extended portion is to hold up the pedals and wheel.
    [​IMG]

Weld Close-up!
    [​IMG]

part of the Idea....
    [​IMG]

Driveshaft plus terrible mock base
    [​IMG]
    I then asked myself what is a cheap and reliable source to move this unit. I thought drive shaft. Any driveshaft works since they all are heavy duty. Mine was from a 1980's volvo and the wall diameter was about .083 inches... which is more than enough for what I want. So I welded that on and here is what it looks like atm.... You can get one for about $20(mine was free), which is what I unnecessarily spent on the cutting of my tubing ($24 for materials and $24 for cuts that I coulda done myself!

I finished pricing and ordering all of the electronics today for the two boards. For anyone curious stateside the cost is about $160 inc shipping. Here's the parts list along with the part numbers from digikey.com That'll save you about 6 hours worth of searching for part #'s and etc... Granted, that some modification to the molex adapters may be necessary (very minor though), but it was the cheapest and easiest method by far. It's in excel 2007 and in .txt

I also got the actuators from autopartshaus on ebay. Just PM him and work out something... I bypassed ebay, paid him $103 and got 2 actuators shipped that'll be more than what I need!
    Note: The best way to but this metal is with reciprocating saw, bi-metal blade @ the highest TPI possible!

Go to a local weld shop for the steel and ask for 1 tubing from .083 to .125. You'll need about 20' of it. They'll also weld it up for you, but welding it yourself is MUCH cheaper and more of a learning experience! Be sure to get the correct rods!

The electronics and the actuators are in the mail as of tomorrow... so I guess early next week I'll have an update....

Feel free to ask me questions!

Attached Files:

2. wannabeaflyer

wannabeaflyer Active Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    :hi: Just my 2 cents worth again but, you may be disapointed with the speed of your linear actuators , the optimum minimum speed would appear to be in excess of 150mm/sec as used by the guys here, i may be wrong though , as for the rest your on solid ground and looks good. 8)
  3. ebinary

ebinary New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cool... Not sure about the actuator speed.

Also seems like the G25 and Playseat Classic uses up most of you $550 budget. Are those included in your cost?
  4. wannabeaflyer

wannabeaflyer Active Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Quick tip , you might wannabe swap the Univerasl joint around as your pivot point will be higher and more responsive .. Just a Thought -)
  5. bobdahaxor

bobdahaxor New Member

Balance:
    9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the G25 is not included in the cost, but the seat is. I know that the linear actuators move really slow, I plan on decreasing the distance from the universal. The output of the motor in Newtons is the similar to that of an SCN5, but it's geared down. Decrease the radius, decrease the torque, but increase the speed.

What do you mean swap the universal joint around? Like have the bolted portion on the frame? not a bad thought, but I think it'd be more than what is necessary. I get more than 17 degrees each way, but I think any more and I'd be too high off the ground, and that'd be a bit too intense.... considering the Blue tiger only goes 20 degrees, I think 17 is plenty, and if not I have some more play. I understnad what your saying though.
  6. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    yeah defintley speed issue. get some scn5's :)
  7. bobdahaxor

bobdahaxor New Member

Balance:
    9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can you find them for sub $200 even?
  8. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ermm second hand maybe. there is alot of frex users out there and i know there were some discount offer ones available at this site but they all went. i buyed new ones and i've had them for about 4 months and ive not even put them on my simulator. i just have them on the desk and i watch em like a geek. im waiting for some brackets for my seat to i can hook them on.

Just save up while your finishing your project then take it from there.
  9. bobdahaxor

bobdahaxor New Member

Balance:
    9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ya. Good idea. Today's the PCB board production and population =)
  10. audiojester

audiojester New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know that the linear actuators move really slow, I plan on decreasing the distance from the universal. The output of the motor in Newtons is the similar to that of an SCN5, but it's geared down. Decrease the radius, decrease the torque, but increase the speed.

I think thats a great idea. Let us know how it turns out... I am in the market to buy actuators in november and want more options before I buy the same one everyone else uses on here...
  11. milligauss

milligauss New Member

Dipl. Ing.
    Balance:
    404Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I solveld the problem of the wiper motor by a selfmade actuator (about 22cm linear with same torque). Have a look into my picture galery.
  12. rfsalter

rfsalter New Member

owner of healthcare company
    Balance:
    532Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    Does any know a turnkey service for building a project to spec?
    which commercial turnkey system would you buy? budget is 10-15 thousand U.S.