1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Surge design

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Les Call, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Les Call

Les Call rotax 912 Gold Contributor

retired
    Balance:
    81Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Hi Guys .I want to add a forth motor for surge to my rig and am looking for details of what other people have used for moving fowards and backwards wheels ? slides ? gears? any idears pictures would be helpful if there are any .
    Thanks
    Les.
  2. dododge

dododge Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    854Coins
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Some designs use guide rails and carriages. I think Bajer's rig does this, and there is at least one other brief discussion with video of another rig.

JCL sells a rail system as part of their D-Box motion package but it's expensive. Sim Racing Garage did a review of it that shows the details:

3. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,415Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    I'm using rails, but it's tricky to set up especially when using vr. Also it depends the game and how you prefer the way of acceleration. While sway was easier to configure, surge needs a lot of testing and adjusting in Simtools, SMC3, etc. At least if the rig is moved completely very powerful motors are recommended.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. GWiz

GWiz Active Member

Dentist
    Balance:
    1,453Coins
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    I use one of these high powered servos:
    [​IMG]
    They are only £60 or so and give an astonishing 110kg/cm of force. I use mine on top of my Hexapod as a seatmover. I use it with a bar connected to the seat to move the seat fractionally closer to the steering wheel on braking and a little further away on acceleration. This is as well as the whole rig moving with surge.
    The effect is not for everyone as some want there to be no movement between the seat and pedals/steering wheel to ensure they can brake accurately but with subtle movements (I've set mine only moves the seat a maximum of 3cm or so) I feel it really adds to the feeling of braking and acceleration which the motion rig doesn't provide on it's own even with a G-seat. There are different benefits to be had from motion rigs, G-Seats and seat movers. I can't stop adding and wanting more! I remember reading on this forum how once you start, you get sucked into a spiral of adding and tinkering for ever more - How very true! o_O Maybe a G-Skull next...
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Les Call

Les Call rotax 912 Gold Contributor

retired
    Balance:
    81Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Hi .Thanks for the thread about the surge movement and the pic of your motor .Yes your right once you start making one of these you cant stop trying to add things .I use mine for flying or should i say i seem to get more enjoyment out of building it i am fortunate to own my my aircraft so am trying to get my sim to work as well as it can try and be like i am flying if that makes sence . its nice to get a message from someone in our neck of the world .I would be very interested in seeing how you have managed to get the slide part to work i have bought a pair of heavy duty draw runners and am at present trying to work out how to get everything to work space wise .I went down the route of large motors that i bought from Australia but now have found a good supply of Caravan moving motors that are the same as the ones i bought and only cost me only £65 pounds on Ebay.if possible could you send me a pic of your rig with the slide engineering threw this site or PM me, i intend once i have got it finished to put a car system together as well as a flight one so it might be good to pick your brains at some further point if you dont mind .
    All the best
    Les.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2020
  6. GWiz

GWiz Active Member

Dentist
    Balance:
    1,453Coins
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Hi Les,

Its nothing terribly fancy and I haven't neatened anything up yet (I've ordered a 3d printer and intend making an enclosure to house the servo PCB and controlling arduino board)

I've attached some 6mm threaded rod to a couple of male clevis parts and attached these with washers and nuts to the servo wheel near the back of the chair and a strip of aluminium attached to the chair mounts with a bolt sticking down near the front of the chair. I found the threaded rod could flex a little under strong braking so stiffened it by running it through some 8mm aluminium tubing. With some fiddling, I found the whole range from 0 to 180 degrees on the servo was more than required, so I've set it to only move between about 45 degrees either way. It gives a subtle movement forwards and backwards relative to the wheel and pedals but that's all I wanted, too much feels unnatural. I initially had hooked up a 40kg servo I had lying around. It wasn't powerful enough but convinced me that the surge effect of the seat moving added to the hexapod movement I was already getting was worth pursuing.

For the sliding motion, I'm just using the standard seat rails normally used for sliding the seat forwards and backwards for adjustment. As it's just a prototype, I haven't even removed the seat adjustment bar - its held in the up position with a zip tie! Very professional I'm sure you'll agree. I'm sure drawer runners or similar could be used instead, anything that keeps the friction to a minimum.

The servo is attached with a bent piece of aluminium to form a bracket, it's probably sitting a little higher than it needs to be but the bottom of the seat still clears it when it moves backwards (just!)

Happy to have my brains picked but I'm very much a tinkerer, there are others on the forum with engineering, electrical and programming qualifications who may be able to give better advice! It's an excellent forum though and there are lots of people who are very helpful and happy to give advice and share ideas.

2020-07-14 17.33.05.jpg 2020-07-14 17.33.30.jpg 2020-07-14 17.33.47.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    do you have a link to the servo motor ?
  8. GWiz