1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Suggestions for Heim joints (=rod end bearing)?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Trip Rodriguez, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Greetings friends!

I think my next step is going to be replacing/upgrading my heim joints. They were cheap units and I'm sure some of the vibration kind of stuff annoying me is coming from them. Two of my old ones got damaged during testing my max length torque arm setting (test failed! haha) so I figure that's a good excuse for a long overdue upgrade.

I need 3/4 x 3/4 units, the best I can get for a reasonable price. I have the high misalignment adapters and rods, I only need the joints. 6 LH and 6 RH.

Just to clarify the question, obviously I can spend $300 plus and get a really good set of Heim joints. Has anyone found more affordable units (maybe $150 max price for the full set of 12?) that are pretty damned good?

For those paying close attention, my vibration isolating mounts came in today and I'm hoping to mount them this coming week. I'll be sure to post pictures and results in my other threads.

Thanks as always for the help,

Trip
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  2. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    JFI I edited your header, because "heim joints" are pretty unknown all over the world... ;)
  3. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    A friend pointed me to McMaster-Carr for all sorts of hardware here in the US.

https://www.mcmaster.com/

And they have a large selection of rod end bearings in all sorts of configurations, with and without grease zerts. They also ship fast and prices are reasonable.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#rod-ends
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Thanks Pit, I didn't realize that term wasn't common with the Euros.

Zed, thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to check them out right now!
  5. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Sweet! Looks like they have something I can manage. I'm thinking I'm going to order the ball joints with grease fittings. I hate messing with grease but I those are more affordable and I think being able to add grease will probably make these last many years. I was wrong about the size, I need to check my dimensions before I order.

Just don't tell the wife I'm putting another $120 or so on the credit card! =P
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Ordered! ~$100 plus shipping. I'm excited to see how much they improve things.

Trip
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    In many other regions they call them rose joints. Not sure the history of why though.

Glad you found something that works!
  8. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Just FYI guys, Zed's suggestion seems like a winner thus far! I paid ~$100 for 12 5/8"rod ends/ball joints/Heim joints/Rose joints (grease fitting type) and the shipping for them was fast and only cost $6.52!
    • Like Like x 2