1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Started my scn5 cockpit

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by njracer, Dec 22, 2008.

1. njracer

njracer Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    whats up guys, i ordered a bunch of stuff today for my cockpit, pretty much everything i need i think? here is a run down of everything that i got so far, if i'm missing something let me know

what i ordered so far:

2x 150mm scn5 actuators with 5m cables
    8 heim joints
    2x 24v ac-dc power http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0125629218
    2x rs232 to rs485 converters http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0298949916
    2x serial cables
    pci serial card http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... Port%20DB9
    corbeau fx1 seat
    side mounts for the seat
    universal joint

what i still need:

something to hold the scn5's in place, some square tubing
    bolts, nuts, washers etc
    mount brackets
    threaded rods
    custom mount to attach the universal joint to the seat's mounts.
    i'm also gonna make a wooden rectangular frame, something similar to the cxc motion pro II

if i'm missing anything to get the motion going let me know, i'm still a little confused about what is needed. i'll be sure to post pics as i go forward, can't wait :cheers:

dave
  2. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Mirai sells mounting brackets for the SCN5's that include the required screws for somewhere arounf $30 if I rememember correctly.
  3. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I wouldnt recommend a psu without overvoltage protection

regards
  4. njracer

njracer Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  5. njracer

njracer Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hey ego, it says on the ad of the psu that it has overload protection, is that the same thing?
  6. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

Yes, they appear to be the same mounting brackets, although I'm not sure if the set you linked to includes the screws. Finding the screws for the bottom side mounts may be a little bit of a pain depending on your local hardware store.
  7. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Those are the same ones I use, I didn't have any problems so far.

8. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, those fit around the scn5. But they might not find on whatever you mount them on, so you might have to do some work on that. For me they were too short on the sides and I had to drill through the aluminum and put long screws through it and the bracket.
  9. njracer

njracer Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well i FINALLY finished my simulator. :yippiee: its been a while but i can finally say its done. i've been at it all day. :lol: this thing is wicked. i love every minute of it. really takes sim racing to the next level. sweepers and fast chicanes are awesome in this thing. the cork screw @ leguna seca is taken to a new level with this seat, really crazy throwing you left and then right so fast, almost feels like the car is loose. its amazing. once again thanks to everyone for their help and continued support. special thanks to sirnoname, you are an awesome dude. and the community as a whole. i'm hoping once i learn how to make profiles, i'll share them with the community so we can all have something from each other. here are a few pics, its not completely finished, eventually i wanna put these through usb so i can hook them right up to the frame. i'm gonna put red plastic around the whole base with yellow inserts. then i'm gonna put a piece of clear plastic on the top section and put racing decals of the sims and gear i'm running. right now still testing all the fittings and making sure nothing gets loose. sim feels perfectly balanced and really throws me around good.

heres a few pics. i'll post more updated pics when i complete the project, shouldn't be to much longer. i'll should be testing this thing like crazy from here on out :D

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      63.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      51.3 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      46.1 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      48.7 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      37.3 KB
      Views:
    • 9.JPG
      9.JPG
      File size:
      37.9 KB
      Views:
  10. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Wow, looks really superb!

From where where you got that pivot pivot?

Nice idea to encapsulate the PSU within the hole frame with the PSU connector! :eek:
  11. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Really nice simulator with 3 screen set up. I was wondering what is the max size you can have triple screen. Can you do 40inch x 3?
  12. njracer

njracer Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    cxc simulations uses 3 46 screens. they're using softTH though. i think with the matrox its 24 native. max settings are 5040x1024, something like that.

i got the universal joint, the pivot joint @ http://www.mcmaster.com/#

they have almost everything you'll ever need. its a grown ups toy store :D and shipping is REALLY fast.

and thanks on the sim, took a while, still not done, but proud of it none the less :yippiee:
  13. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Those two brackets on back of the seat where the actuators hang from. Did you make them yourself or can you buy these from a shop?

I need 2.
  14. danknee

danknee New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great execution. I wanted to second the question about your source for the two brackets on the back of the seat. Also, would you mind indicating the exact u-joint and the specific brackets you utilized with the joint? Thanks in advance.
  15. njracer

njracer Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hey guys, i got the back brackets made at a local machine shop. they're a little expensive though, 375 for both of them total. the guy did one helluva job imo, but they are designed around the corbeau fx1 seat. they match the curve of the seat. if you guys are interested let me know, he kept all the dimensions on file so if anyone wanted i could have them made up and send them. they are expensive though, so idk, it'd be cheaper to just do the t-slot way prob, idk if it makes a difference having the bracket directly on the seat. i'm sure it helps somewhat as there is no play in there. i'm in the process of getting a furnace to melt metal, once i have it up and running i'm gonna try and make my own brackets, if all goes well i'll be sure to post them. will be a helluva lot cheaper to as i'll be making them myself, and they won't be hand made every set.

as for the universal joint, i'll post back tomorrow, i have to look it up all the dimensions of everything, you gonna need the u-joint, the rod to link them, and the mount to but it in on both sides. i'll post everything tomorrow. its a little late, i'm a little drunk from celebrating july 4th. be sure to post tomorrow.

dave
  16. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    @Fahim

You need a hardcase seat for such brackets. Afaics, your seat has a softcase...

regards
  17. MasterYoda

MasterYoda Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Hi! M8!

Very nice project you have there! Congrats!

BTW, where did you get this info CXC used SoftTH from?
    Chris was very vague when I asked him about his triple screen.

I don't even know if they use HD (720p) or full HD (1080p)?

Cheers,

MY
  18. CXCSimulations

CXCSimulations Member

Balance:
    - 9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was? :)

1080p BTW
  19. njracer

njracer Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    darren gangi from srt said it somewhere.
  20. MasterYoda

MasterYoda Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    You see?
    Again...

Do you guys use SoftTH, or not? :?