1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

start of the pain

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by peter1970, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Peter, it is perfectly fine to be this excited!
    And let me tell you, you are not going to have your life back when you finish building.... :D
    You will constantly come up with ideas to make it better...

Just some recommendation:
    For your frame you can consider using different materials to save on price and weight.
    - Use aluminium for the most critical structures, where strength is very important. This is mostly the parts experiencing bending/twisting lateral forces.
    - Use plastic PVC for the parts that experience lengthwise forces of pushing or pulling. Any material pipe is very strong in this direction.
    - Use steel cables where there are pulling, extending forces on the frame. They are very light but extremely strong to pulling.

-Use good quality potentiometers. They will be much cheaper than hall sensors, but just as good.
  2. peter1970

peter1970 New Member

retail store manager (gamestation)
    Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking of a complete sensor that looks like a potentiometer with magnets and signal conditioning already included.

The sensor you are showing is just a digital switch. It is either ON or OFF and you can't use it for position sensing.
    Linear hall sensors are more expensive, and you still have a lot of work to do with them.
    You will also run into serious trouble if the magnets are not set up properly.

Just make it easy and use a quality potentiometer.
  4. SimonUK

SimonUK Member

Electronic Engineer
    Balance:
    705Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Good on you for coming up with your own design! I too started by copying other peoples ideas, but in the end found different and better ways of doing things.

I would also advice using potentiometers rather than hall sensors. I started off using hall sensors and had a lot of difficulty mounting them with magnets in the simulator. I switched to potentiometers as they were easy to couple to the motor shaft and are just as sensitive. Only down side to pots is you have a moving part that can wear, but they are reasonably cheap and easy to replace.
  5. peter1970

peter1970 New Member

Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    cool ty guys pots it is
  6. peter1970

peter1970 New Member

Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok guys i have managed to order two slightly diferent sized sprokets.

as its a joyrider style sim the two axis are uncoupled so it wont matter but with one smaller than the other i will have one axis faster moving than the other.

so my question is for most realistic fealing am i better with faster bank or pitch axis
  7. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Faster bank!!! Its better to put the slow sproket on the Pitch as it requires more force to move up and down...
  8. SimonUK

SimonUK Member

Electronic Engineer
    Balance:
    705Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Good point, but if your motors can handle it I think that a faster pitch would be more realistic to simulate bumps in the road!
  9. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    If you think about it, turning a car left and right can be much faster than accelerating/braking.

I would put the faster motor on the Roll axis, but that will greatly depend on the leverage and gearing of your structure.
  10. omar78

omar78 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I'm intrested on how this project turned out.. have you got any recent pics Peter? also is the alu 10 or 16swg?

Thanks