1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Resolved Spammer banning

Discussion in 'Forum and Website' started by BlazinH, May 2, 2014.

1. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    In my opinion "ban" needs to be added to the list of available feedback options; at least for new users posts. If a user gets a certain number of bans within a certain period of time, they will automatically loose access to the site until a review of their conduct can be made by xsimulator administration! This would allow a way for all the legitimate users here to band together and stop relevant posts from getting buried who knows how many pages down by shutting down the offending member that's posting crap like +1 multiple times just to get coins at the disregard of other members post. And this without the need to wait for it to come to the administration's attention to take action!

Another option might be restrict new users with less than 250 coins to only one post every 15 minutes or something like that. Then when they reach 250 coins they would then become an unrestricted full member.

ps I'm am being forced right now to wait to post this request do to spamming or it will get buried in with all his crap posts! Okay finally, he must have got his fricken 250 coins now so I can post this!
    • Agree Agree x 6
  2. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    BlazinH,
    Amen!!! It's becoming harder and harder to find the relevant "good" posts anymore.....and it's so easy to see "why" these folks are trying to get too 250 coins....
    We've had a couple in the last month that did reach their goal of 250, and no doubt d/l'd the software & files, then you don't see them again.....to this ol' guy, it's almost like
    stealing.......well, hell, it is stealing , because absolutely nothing good has been obtained from some of these.

FWIW -

Have a blessed one, to all honest and good members!

Tom
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,918Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    WTF is that extreme abuse ... That is Exactly a steeling behavior ... like a home robbery, one come back and find every thing is upside down and missed up ... I went home ASAP to see what happened to have a personally 18 mail alerts .

This kind of users has a very small mind and can't be in minor limits of good behavior ...
    He'll keep logging maybe to read the manuals and may come back with a different user with questions for those things he downloaded ... maybe ... he didn't even F***kn read the posts he replied to +1 and just a Member Since: Mar 24, 2014

Investigation of his IP location is needed or his internet provider should be alerted or banned ...
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
  4. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Perhaps a button to vote the offender a negative number of coins? That might lead to even more spamming but in conjunction with the aforementioned idea it could be a solution.
  5. RufusDufus

RufusDufus Well-Known Member

Balance:
    15,650Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,009 / 9 / -1
    While I understand the vast majority of members would see this behaviour as annoying I guess we should remember that people work within the systems that are set rather than to the intent for which they are set in the first place. This is the case everywhere.

What could we (as members) have done in this case… Perhaps if we had seen it in progress one of us could have PM’d them and explained the frustration or even offered them some coins if they were willing to write one good solid post about their plans and ideas? Maybe that would have been enough for them to see how great this community is and get involved and created some friendships. This person may be really knowledgeable, helpful and great to have as a member, but has made a bad judgement as to how the forum would see their actions - someone younger excited and learning without much life experience?

Do we know their circumstances… Have they been reading the forum for ages and had every one of their questions answered? I personally don’t like to post questions that I have seen answered before, or make statements that I am not sure are true. How long then would it take a new member to get coins? Some people are very introverted and not comfortable in conversations. Perhaps they are going to use all there future internet budget to fund their sim and need to get the software before the internet is cut off? (I know this is a bit far fetched – I’m just trying to say we don’t know)

I don’t like what was done in this case, but that is the current system. If we choose to use it we must accept that at times it will get abused, just like if we choose not to use it some will take everything they can and not give back. Decide the way forward and be at peace with the decision and the consequences of that decision. If anything we need to create ways to make people “want” to get involved, not “have” to get involved… but I know that’s hard.

If we start banning new members and criticise them for wanting the “best software around” I suspect prospective members may reconsider whether they want to try it or not – remember until they try it they are just going by what members here say, and if we seem like elitists that require specific acceptance criteria, it may be enough for them to doubt the value of the software and forum. For all we know someone that takes the software without involvement may show it to five others that decide they like it and do get involved in the forum.

The strongest communities are built through communication and understanding, others will see the good and want to be a part of it. Systems and rules are a way of trying to enforce our ideals on others without taking the time to communicate and encourage an understanding of those ideals.

You may have noticed, I like to see the positive side of things and assume everyone is good at heart and gives in their own way. I fully understand not everyone will see it this way.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    RufusDufus,
    Yes, on the positive side, you are absolutely correct.

Maybe we should "rethink" the concept here. Maybe if a new person posts about his wishes, introduces his idea and concept, just in a single post - then, if they want, they can get the software with fewer coins - but are still required to have the 250 for d/l'ing the profiles???

I am NOT saying to make it so hard as to "scare" folks away, but to set parameters where they want to become good solid, contributing members without the "hit and run" mentality.

FWIW - At 67, and here in the US - we are in "real trouble".....the mentality is to give me, give me, you owe it to me - I wants my Welfare Check - and I'm going to stay home and watch my new
    70" TV all day........don't have to do anything for it, cause you owe it to me....BUT those simpletons don't realize it's guys like me who have worked all their lives have to support them....that's where
    I'm coming from.........IF our free-loaders (Here in US) would just go out and pick up a piece of trash and put it into the bin, or go help feed some of the really genuine poor folks, then great -
    We here, used to be the "Land of the Free", now it's the "Land of the Free Ride"...........just not for folks like me - and I do not want a free ride, period.

I apologize to all for my ranting and raving - just been on this earth long enough to have seen good, caring times.........and now they are gone.....

What, if anything, that Rene' and the moderators want to do about this growing situation, is absolutely fine by me....it's still the very best forum in existence.

Blessings to all,

Tom
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    No disrespect, but where I come from, if the current system is not working as intended, we change or modify the system, we don’t feel compelled we must accept the same broken one because that’s just the way it is.

Personally, I don’t like the concept of coins at all. Simtools has been promised to be free. Free should mean all that’s required is you ask for it imo. The very word “coins” connotates a payment must be made. “Work” is required to write a post to “earn” coins. By my definition anyway, this is not really free. It just uses virtual coins for payments and they’re not legally recognized tender.

However, if we must continue on with this system, then we should change it to do what was intended of it shouldn’t we? First off, I think we can all agree the intention wasn’t for people to spam the site to get the required coins. This is rude and disrespectful to legitimate posters and readers that want to help people but then have to swim thru a bunch of muck and a complete opposite of the intentions (which is what irritates me so much). The idea was for people to give thoughtful dialog and get them involved, at least on the surface level. If they don’t really want to do that they can choose to contribute in another way; by buying a download package, which I presume is to give back by helping out with financial respects of operations of the site, etc.

So, as you stated, you can ask people how to behave, but some will do otherwise regardless. So if you think it’s also rude to ban someone, what about the other option I stated. Until a member has his first 250 coins by posting or buying them, he can only make a post at 15 minute intervals. That would probably not bother most legitimate posters much because it usually takes a little time to write a post anyway. And while it wont eliminate spamming altogether, it would make it much less annoying and wouldn't be as appealing for people to earn coins this way! They could instead use the time delay interval between posting to actually try to write something worth reading too! That's my two cents anyway!
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
  8. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,918Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Good morning guys ...

OK, Regarding RufusDufus theory of the positive side angle of view. And to have a fair usage of the free information and work provided here ... and to keep it clean and pure informative here ...
    here are my suggestions :
    1-There should be a limit for the user posts per day 5p/d max. , except for moderators ...
    2-Members MUST complete there profile information plus one or two posts in the new member thread ... other wise there are not able to write posts any where else ... a READ ONLY is enabled .
    3-Coins earned per day should be available to use after at least 24 hours later ... with a maximum No. of 2 downloads per next day ... so moderators can preview what happened in the last 8-12 hours .

What a smart a** ... He did over 70 reply in less than two hours ... No normal person can really reply with more than 4-5 useful replies ... the system should detect that ... plus a 250 coins is already provided for the new account ...

@RufusDufus ... there is no good side in this member ... even if he had unanswered questions which I see @eaorobbie and @bsft is not giving any gap for any post without a decent guiding comment/s .

I use many other forums and never saw something like this cheap spamming ... what can I say "Shit Happens" ...
  9. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    @speedy
    "even if he had unanswered questions which I see @@eaorobbie and @@bsft is not giving any gap for any post without a decent guiding comment/s ."

Sorry don't understand.
    This is a direct result of the coin system they are only working within their means, no real harm, annoying yes. Childish yes , so is a lot of the comments above too, in a funny way , lol.

I agree on point 2 thou. Not a silly idea, happens on most forums.

It will calm down eventually, gold members slowly rising that's positive for the sites future.
  10. RufusDufus

RufusDufus Well-Known Member

Balance:
    15,650Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,009 / 9 / -1
    @BlazinH , @speedy , @cthiggin , Thank you all for sharing your perspective... All valid points which have helped me to broaden my perspective on the topic. :)
    • Like Like x 2
  11. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    To all please use the report button so that our Admin @RaceRay may deal with the issue.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    WTF @speedy , why are you involving me? Since when am I a part of this conversation.
    The coins system is not my idea, and if someone spams, do not involve me in the situation.
    If my answers are too short for your liking, I am sorry, but it is a simple answer.
    If you like , I will waffle on like a jabbermouth in the future.
    I happen to be donating a lot of coins to people whom are genuine and do not understand nor want to spam the forum to gain coins. I have plenty of coins to help those whom I see fit that they need it.
    I am not giving short answers to posts to get more coins. My answers are short and simple , for a simple person like me, and they get the point across.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    David,

What he meant was that you an Rob are very quick to respond with helpful advice and information and this guy did not bother to wait for anyone to answer (much less the two very quick guys, you and Rob).
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -0
    i kind of agree, i have a little idea...

why dont we open a seccion in the forum with a list of "Man! i wish there could be something like this"... so someone with some spare time, or with a free summer, could take the "call" and tray to solve it, or made it...

and of course if you like some project of the "wish" list you can subscribe to it.

best regards
    (i am getting blushed with this post... i really swear this is not for coins) :D
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,918Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Calm down my friend Dave ... Very sorry my friend Robbie ... I feel you so sad and angry which I didn't mean to put it that way really, I'm sorry ... I'm actually admires your fast replies and your good memory to remember every body's project and the last point he stopped at [ Good follow up ] ... and you're giving good solutions and good information as possible as many others ... Good job every one .

Consequently ... Where is the unanswered question of this spammer between all this ?

Thanks Historiker for taking over [answering in my behalf ]... that is exactly what I meant to answer ...
    BTW ... since you got me right from the first time ... Why my answer sounded that way for both Robbie and Dave ? ... poor English maybe ?

Accept my apology every one ...
    miss understanding penalty is one me ... I'll transfer 200 coins for every one if that makes you smile back again ... What do you all think ?:cheers
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
  16. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    I still say that we should have a slot machine that lets us gamble our surplus coins ;)

Or a poker night?!? :D
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @speedy , keep your coins, your english is fine.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,918Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    :think
    --------------------
    Edit:
    One of @bsft best humor comments : " Groovy , Use a bigger hammer " :grin:grin
    good one my friend :thumbs ... Thanks for My English is fine .
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
  19. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    @speedy , no offense mate, was just trying to work out what ya was trying to say.
    All good here.
    You brought up a couple of valid points, That I do like.
    mmmm Poker night, sounds cool, Im in.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,416Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    I am relatively new here so my view of the situation could be different from what you think. We are spending hundreds or thousands of dollars building a sim but the software should be free? As I came across to xsimulator I can admit the coin system is not bad. But it is also not a bad idea to pay only 19 bucks for free downloads. So my proposal is therefore simple : you could offer a free version only with some few plug ins included (perhaps less function) and a paid version graded by the amount of what we are willing to pay. At least do not forget beginners are newbies and in the most situations full of unanswered questions so please be patient. The report button is also a great option to report any spammer for blocking them.

PS: Thank you all the time and effort you have spent here to help me and others :)
    • Like Like x 1