1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Source for U-joints or swivel feet

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by mattsim25, Nov 3, 2011.

1. mattsim25

mattsim25 New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm building a seat mover style simulator and I'm ready to design the joint that the seat will pivot on. It looks like most people use either a u-joint or some sort of swivel machine foot. Is one better than the other and does anyone know a good source for either. I've looked at used u-joints on ebay but it looks like most of them have splines and I'm not sure how I'd mount those. Also, does anyone know what the official name for the swivel machine foot I'm referring to is?

Thanks!

Matt
  2. jyrki.j.koivisto

jyrki.j.koivisto New Member

Balance:
    314Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You mean universal joint? Also constant velocity joints could be used, either of them does not cost much and are readily available in any autopart shops. You could even source some for free from repair shops.
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, a tailshaft from a rear wheel driven car and cut it down to size would be good. It will give you left to right and back and forth movement without any twisting. You would need a welder to fabricate your own plates to go on the end of the tailshaft pieces, with the universal joint in the middle.
    If you have a local auto parts wrecking yard nearby, that would be a good place to start. No specific model, just CHEAP.
    Also a ball joint would work well, but you would need to stop the swivel - twisting, thats if you are building a 2DOF. Once again, second hand and cheap is the goal.
    Heres a photo of under my seat mover with the cut down tail shaft.
    [​IMG]
    ( I raised the height with a block of wood as the shaft was too short - change of plan in the project )
  4. xXONESHOTXx

xXONESHOTXx New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I havent got that far in my build yet but i have scouted out what i think will work..... At a local tractor supply store.I thought of using a smaller drive line ujiont setup used on PTO shafts for small equipment attachments.

Something like this......
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/pto-shafts/
  5. fifty

fifty New Member

Balance:
    - 19Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  6. fifty

fifty New Member

Balance:
    - 19Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  7. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    joint.jpg

This is selling in Ebay for around ten UK pounds plus postage.

I have used this for approx two years now I think and no squeaks or problem.
  8. mattsim25

mattsim25 New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the information! I bought one from McMaster and I'm hoping to attach it to my seat this weekend. I figured the top of my seat would be about 8-10 above the base of the rig but now I'm not sure where to put the u-joint vertically. Is it better to keep it closer to the seat or the base. I was thinking closest to the seat but I've seen some setups where it's down towards the base with an extension that connects to the seat. Any advice?

Thanks!

Matt
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Any where should do, the closer to the bottom of the seat will help overall balance. Also you need to mount the pivot point at the centre of gravity. For a seat mover, about center of the seat, for a frex, about 120mm forward center point of the seat.