1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tutorial SMC3 Arduino 3DOF Motor Driver and Windows Utilities

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by RufusDufus, Dec 1, 2013.

1. kimballfount

kimballfount Member

Balance:
    879Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    I'm having an issue with the movement of my motor. In the game when I bank left the motor smoothly moves left, but when I bank right the motor becomes real jumpy. I'm using a bts7960 hbridge with the utilities software. I've made adjustments to KS but this doesnt seem to smooth it out at all. Does anyone know what could be causing this or how to fix it?
  2. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Try to switch the motor drivers and look forward if this issue is also switching.
  3. smaizys13

smaizys13 New Member

Balance:
    46Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I have some troubles too with my movement. I don't understand what might be wrong. There's three identical DC motors with same parrameters. But when I plug them to SMC and try to run with same PID parrameters they're working different... Any suggestions what can be wrong? I'm worrying about that that motors move to one side fast and powerful, but go back slow and with less power...

P.S. I'm using Arduino UNOR3 (original not clone) Monster moto schields, Como Drills DC Motors, 19.68 W, 3 → 7.2 V dc, 375 gcm, 19000 rpm, (yeach the motors ar small, but i'm creating only a wooden prototype)

MOT1.png MOT3.png MOT2.png
  4. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Can I assume that all motors are working differently but plugged to the same MM? Or on the other hand can you switch the motors and the issue is switching as well? This is important to exclude any issues coming from the drivers itself.
  5. smaizys13

smaizys13 New Member

Balance:
    46Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    well i pluged two motors in the back and one underneath the rig, two on the back are plugged onto same MM, and that other one is pluged to another MM. that one which is underneath and one of those two on the back are working differently than the last one. what i mean- if you look in the pictures MOT1 and MOT2 are those on the back, and MOT3 is the one underneath. I tried to switch places of the motors on the back, but there was no different ( I mean that when i changed the motors the result was the same. For example: in the start MOT1 was in POSITION1, and MOT2 was in POSITION2, MOT2 was working good, when MOT1 not. When i changed them MOT1 was in POSITION2, and MOT2 was in POSITION1, after that MOT1 was working good when MOT2 was not.)
    I hope I explained everything understandamble ;D
  6. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    The source of any issues can be the potentiometers, the wiring or the soldering. Furthermore the wire itself, the length of the wire (from pot to Ard), the grounding of the Ard _MM_pot and other power sources which are interfering the 5V wire.

At least -an issue which happens very often - the MMs are faulty, drawing less current while the reverse turn resulting in a lower voltage (under load)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. kimballfount

kimballfount Member

Balance:
    879Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    I'm only using one hbridge right now, do you suspect a blown chip might be the cause of the jerky movement when the motor is moving right?
  8. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    a blown chip is a blown chip - dead. By doing the steps wich I advised you to do you can test easily if one output of the chips is defect. If the issue swaps to the other side we can conclude and exclude some things.
  9. RufusDufus

RufusDufus Well-Known Member

Balance:
    15,601Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,008 / 8 / -1
    The bts7960's fail gradually if the get over temp too much. It results in strange behaviour such as one direction not getting full power and hence move slowly.

Do as pit suggests and swap it over to see if it fixes the problem.

Also they will run much more reliably if you unscrew the heatsink and put some thermal compound between it and the board, and make sure it is cooled with a fan. I suspect that one is no good any more though.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. luky_90

luky_90 Member

Balance:
    276Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hello guys,
    I know I write something that has nothing to do with the discussion but I searched the forum and found nothing , earlier this diacussione we talk about two different types of H - Bridge , I now use the MONSTERMOTO I wanted to use the IBT 43A - 2 can anyone help me with the arduino code?
    image.jpeg
  11. insanegr

insanegr !N$@n€

Balance:
    16,715Coins
    Ratings:
    +498 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    @luky_90 you have to change the line in the smc3.ino that sets which mode we want(#define MODE1). you have to change it to mode2 to work with the H-Bridge you are posting above
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. luky_90

luky_90 Member

Balance:
    276Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    sorry but I do not find it , I downloaded SMC3 utils v1.01 zip, inside I found a .ini file and an .exe file you put the link ? @insanegr
  13. insanegr

insanegr !N$@n€

Balance:
    16,715Coins
    Ratings:
    +498 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    you have to open the SMC3.ino with arduino IDE and edit the line that says (#define MODE1) to (#define MODE2)
    Untitle.png
    and then upload it to the arduino
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  14. RufusDufus

Balance:
    15,601Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,008 / 8 / -1
    The SMC3Utils program is the "Windows" configuration utility. You need to download the SMC3.ino file for the "Arduino" - it is the one at the bottom of the first post. Note the Arduino IDE uses a .ino file.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. kimballfount

kimballfount Member

Balance:
    879Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    I'm still having an issue with jerky incremental movement when I try to roll right. I tried using a new bridge, and reversing the wires to the motors, but I still get whiplash. Smooth movement when rolling left, but right is awful. I'm using a large 500w motor..
  16. RufusDufus

Balance:
    15,601Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,008 / 8 / -1
    Can you provide a video of motor jerking and SMC3 Utils settings while running?
  17. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi @RufusDufus , been having great fun using your SMC software to test my Linear actuator , making good progress so just wanted to ask your advice on a minor issue ( im guessing i have missed a step ) Anyways everything seems to work other than i dont seem to get full range of movement from the Actuator ..

Im Using the SMC Mode 3 version for my 2x32 Sabertooth Controllers and 10K pot as feed Back ,, i have centered the pot in the middle full 360mm travel range, and it reads 5K ish

When i use manual mode or any of the automodes ( sine / Motion/Triangle waveforms ) to move actuator to the min - max positions they only move half way as though something in the software is limiting full movement.

I figure i have the clipping and limits set assume OK ( but may well be wrong) and there is still some fine tuning required , but can you advise as to what area i may have messed up in ...

I have attached one of the last screen shots taken during testing
    the target sent and received range from min to max seems to be 5K ?? not 10K
    and the Range does not get as far as the Clip or limit points so I'm sorta head scratching as to why ? Cheers

PS i Have the Analog range limit pot fitted and even at max position the Max travel range of +/- 180 mm from mid point is not reached ? at most i seem to be getting 200 mm total Movement ..

SMC3-Capture-23-04-16.JPG SMC3-Capture-23-04-16.JPG SMC3-Capture-23-04-16.JPG
  18. RufusDufus

Balance:
    15,601Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,008 / 8 / -1
    The movement for test signals is limitted in range to minimise risk of damage when setting up. Basically the amount of movement shown on the chart is all you get. If you select manual motion and move the slider all the way to extremes it should work (until it reaches the clip limits)
  19. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi @RufusDufus thanks for the info, now that makes perfect sense, 2 actuators now assembled and thanks to your smc code and utility I'll be able to get the matched up and load testing done before final assembly of the sim... just waiting for more parts then all 6 actuators will be done,, mega thanks sir for all you work and tech support
  20. RiftFlyer

RiftFlyer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,693Coins
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Just want to say thanks to @RufusDufus for this software. I finally have movement in my G-Seat and this utility and tutorial made it so much easier than it would have been otherwise.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1