1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Slow servo response

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Kenza, May 8, 2019.

1. Kenza

Kenza New Member

Balance:
    126Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hello everyone,
    I would like to update you about my project. I made a 3DOF servo model based on this configuration and Arduino code. (big thanks to @eaorobbie @aarondc and @Jun)
    You can see the result on the picture below.
    However, I still have some problems with the servos response. They're kind of slow and doesn't start to move until I reach 30% on the simtools axis test, same thing happens when I change the direction (left/right).
    DOES SOMEONE KNOW WHY ?
    P.S: I'm not using a power supply. The servos are directly connected to the Arduino.

ASSEM.jpeg

Code:

//********************************************************************************************
    // RC Model Servo
    // Original code By EAOROBBIE (Robert Lindsay)
    // Completely mangled by aarondc
    // Modify by Jun :P
    // For free use for Sim Tool Motion Software
    //********************************************************************************************
    #include <Servo.h>
    //#define DEBUG 1                                    // comment out this line to remove debuggin Serial.print lines
    const int kActuatorCount = 3;                       // how many Actuators we are handling

// the letters ("names") sent from Sim Tools to identify each actuator
    // NB: the order of the letters here determines the order of the remaining constants kPins and kActuatorScale
    const char kActuatorName[kActuatorCount] = { 'R', 'L', 'B' };
    const int kPins[kActuatorCount] = {4, 5, 6};                    // pins to which the Actuators are attached
    const int kActuatorScale[kActuatorCount][3] = { { 0, 179 } ,    // Right Actuator scaling
                                                    { 179, 0 } ,    // Left side Actuator scaling
                                                    { 0, 179 }      // Back Actuator scaling
                                                   };    
    const char kEOL = '~';                              // End of Line - the delimiter for our acutator values
    const int kMaxCharCount = 3;                        // some insurance...
    Servo actuatorSet[kActuatorCount];                  // our array of Actuators
    int actuatorPosition[kActuatorCount] = {90, 90, 90};    // current Actuator positions, initialised to 90
    int currentActuator;                                // keep track of the current Actuator being read in from serial port
    int valueCharCount = 0;                             // how many value characters have we read (must be less than kMaxCharCount!!

// set up some states for our state machine
    // psReadActuator = next character from serial port tells us the Actuator
    // psReadValue = next 3 characters from serial port tells us the value
    enum TPortState { psReadActuator, psReadValue };  
    TPortState currentState = psReadActuator;

void setup()
    {
        // attach the Actuators to the pins
        for (int i = 0; i < kActuatorCount; i++)
            actuatorSet[i].attach(kPins[i]);

// initialise actuator position
        for (int i = 0; i < kActuatorCount; i++)
            updateActuator(i);

Serial.begin(9600); // opens serial port at a baud rate of 9600
    }

void loop()
    {

}

// this code only runs when we have serial data available. ie (Serial.available() > 0).
    void serialEvent() {
        char tmpChar;
        int tmpValue;

while (Serial.available()) {
            // if we're waiting for a Actuator name, grab it here
            if (currentState == psReadActuator) {
                tmpChar = Serial.read();
                // look for our actuator in the array of actuator names we set up
    #ifdef DEBUG          
    Serial.print("read in ");          
    Serial.println(tmpChar);          
    #endif
                for (int i = 0; i < kActuatorCount; i++) {
                    if (tmpChar == kActuatorName[i]) {
    #ifdef DEBUG          
    Serial.print("which is actuator ");          
    Serial.println(i);          
    #endif
                        currentActuator = i;                        // remember which actuator we found
                        currentState = psReadValue;                 // start looking for the Actuator position
                        actuatorPosition[currentActuator] = 0;      // initialise the new position
                        valueCharCount = 0;                         // initialise number of value chars read in
                        break;
                    }
                }
            }

// if we're ready to read in the current Actuator's position data
            if (currentState == psReadValue) {
                while ((valueCharCount < kMaxCharCount) && Serial.available()) {
                    tmpValue = Serial.read();
                    if (tmpValue != kEOL) {
                        tmpValue = tmpValue - 48;
                        if ((tmpValue < 0) || (tmpValue > 9)) tmpValue = 0;
                        actuatorPosition[currentActuator] = actuatorPosition[currentActuator] * 10 + tmpValue;
                        valueCharCount++;
                    }
                    else break;
                }

// if we've read the value delimiter, update the Actuator and start looking for the next Actuator name
                if (tmpValue == kEOL || valueCharCount == kMaxCharCount) {
    #ifdef DEBUG          
    Serial.print("read in ");          
    Serial.println(actuatorPosition[currentActuator]);          
    #endif
                    // scale the new position so the value is between 0 and 179
                    actuatorPosition[currentActuator] = map(actuatorPosition[currentActuator], 0, 255 , kActuatorScale[currentActuator][0], kActuatorScale[currentActuator][1]);
    #ifdef DEBUG          
    Serial.print("scaled to ");          
    Serial.println(actuatorPosition[currentActuator]);          
    #endif
                    updateActuator(currentActuator);
                    currentState = psReadActuator;
                }
            }
        }
    }

// write the current Actuator position to the passed in Actuator
    void updateActuator(int thisActuator) {
        actuatorSet[thisActuator].write(actuatorPosition[thisActuator]);
    }

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  2. Jonatas Fernando L A

Jonatas Fernando L A Jonatas_foz

student
    Balance:
    77Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, AC motor, SimAxe, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    If the servo motors is 6v use a xternal power suply (look the max voltage suported of you arduino card)
  3. Jonatas Fernando L A

Jonatas Fernando L A Jonatas_foz

student
    Balance:
    77Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, AC motor, SimAxe, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    I'm going to make a project like yours, do I have to modify anything in the code ?? type put the minimum and maximum value that I want? or just copy and send to the arduino IDE and then go for the simtolls ??