1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SimXperience II - 2DOF Driving Simulator With SCN5's

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by bvillersjr, Nov 26, 2008.

1. CXCSimulations

CXCSimulations Member

Balance:
    - 9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm... Those look familiar................ :)

Love your work BTW, bvillersjr. I've followed it from the beginning.
  2. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Thanks, that's a great compliment coming from you guys. You build an awesome looking product. The actuators covers weren't intended to be a knock-off though, there's just only a few ways one can wrap those ugly actuators and leave room for an adjustable dampening mechanism. I think once I release the entire design, you will find it to be both innovative and unique. What you see there is just the actuator covers on my plain vanilla test platform.

Also, now that you have posted here, you have opened the door for me to invite you to utilize a quality of motion worthy of your fit and finish ;) I think that you will find X-Sim, superior to the Frex in every area except for ease of use. I have solved this ease of use problem with my new menu system, which adds some features that I think the sim community will find quite surprising when I release it.

Now if I could only find the time to wrap up all of these projets that I've started.

:cheers:
  3. CXCSimulations

CXCSimulations Member

Balance:
    - 9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the kind words :)

No, I can see the differences in your design for sure. I can't wait to see the final product. It's just nice to see some of our basic concepts come out in other designs. I see it as a compliment that our design ideas show up on DIY rigs.

We have our own motion system now based on a hybrid of Frex style components and our own hardware/software solution. I would love to use X-sim or a derivative of it. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be legal though as we sell our product and this is a community project (albeit an extremely complex one). Perhaps if some of the key players here would be interested we could work something out :) It is an extremely interesting project. I would love our company to be connected in some way.

I think you hit on one of the key reasons we switched from Frex to our own software, ease of use. This is paramount for our customers as they are not the masters of DIY as you lot are here. It needs to be targeted and simple for them to use. I can't wait to see your system. It seems you have a firm grasp on our design concept.

Chris
  4. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    @Chris

I do not know what the current licensing requirements are, and as I'm sure you are aware, SirNoName is the keeper of the source code, copyright and creator of the licensing agreement.

It seems that in the past, the community has frowned upon commercial use of X-Sim, yet the licensing agreement states that previous versions were free for commercial and personal use so long as proper credit was given to SirNoName for his work, and a few other minor stipulations.

I think the issue for you would be a matter of co-branding. You would probably need the software to carry your companies name, etc.. and I'm guessing that won't be an option. I assume that you would also require of level of creative control over UI elements that would not be available either since the project is a closed source project.

I'm not trying to deter you from contacting SirNoName on the matter but I expect that these would be limitations that you wouldnt want to build a company upon.
  5. Trombird

Trombird New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bernard,

Great job and thanks for all the information!

Would it be possible to post a video of your sim running with the game sounds turned off? I would like to hear just the motion hardware. Part of my personal goal with this project is to make a quiet device so I'm wondering how far your design goes in that direction.

Thanks,

Charles
  6. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    @ Trombird

The motion base is apart right now getting installed into my simulator (the one that I use as my thumbnail). Should be about two weeks or so before I'm done. I'll be making a set of new videos and profiles at that time as well. I'll be sure to include one without the game sounds.
  7. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
  8. Trombird

Trombird New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much. I really appreciate it. I would also like to hear Bernard's so I look forward to that as well.
  9. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Same actuators, same sound ;D
  10. Trombird

Trombird New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, thanks!
  11. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Egoexpress is correct about the actuators. The only time an actuator will make different sounds is if it is stressed, so it is safe to assume that any good design will have similiar actuator volume levels.

Not so with the motion bases themselves though. Much of the noise that I have observed in the videos that I observe have excessive clinking / clattering , etc.. as a result of the motion base construction, inadequate dampening mechanisms, etc.. I have literally seen videos with peoples simulators hopping around on the floor :rofl: Safe to say that these ones aren't quite as quiet as a well though out design with appropriate dampening mechanisms.
  12. Trombird

Trombird New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the comments and ideas. I won't get bogged down on this one issue, but wanted to keep it in mind as I go. A friend and I are building a racing motion sim so I'm sure I'll have tons of quesions.

Thanks again.
  13. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    I've been pretty busy with the SimXperience Commander Software and my next generation motion platform but I finally managed to finish adding my original wooden simulator. I still have to add some brake lights yet to finish off the look. Here's where it is so far. Retrofitting motion into a base that was not designed to accomodate motion turned out to be quite a challenge.

Sorry in advance for the picture quality. My camera is terrible.

SimXperienceCustomSimulator1.jpg

SimXperienceCustomSimulator2.jpg

SimXperienceCustomSimulator3.jpg

SimXperienceCustomSimulator4.jpg

SimXperienceCustomSimulator5.jpg

SimXperienceCustomSimulator6.jpg

SimXperienceCustomSimulator7.jpg
  14. Schnullerbacke

Schnullerbacke New Member

Photographer / Videographer
    Balance:
    369Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Bernard,

great look, great design, great sim !!! Congrats and biggest respect !
    Now I want to see it in action :clap: !

I've got the same idea to get some motorsport-stickers (like Goodyear or something like that) placed on my sim... as soon as I'm ready with the electronics, I will do the design works 8) !

Bye and best regards,
    Chris
  15. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Here's a quick video of the simuator moments after I got it assembled. There is still quite a bit of fine tuning to be done. Especially with regard to the motion profile and my dampening devices. I have installed a total of 4 dampening devices, two of which are fully adjustable. From the looks of the video, I need to adjust them to allow more dampening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ_c69_um2g
  16. terribly

terribly New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What an awesome build. I'm definitely going to attempt something like this - I registered just to comment.

I have a question, though - what would be the odds of now taking your setup and applying it to, say, a flight sim?

I'd imagine similar accelerations would be fed back from the likes of Flight Simulator X - how difficult would it be to incorporate these into your existing setup?

My thought would be to have a setup like yours, with interchangeable wheels/pedals for racing and yoke/pedals for flying.

Perhaps I'm being altogether too ambitious, but this stuff is awesome!

Great work once again.
  17. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Dear Sir,

Really really nice actuator red metal covers. I really would like some for the actuators when I buy.
    Where can I get these covers from? :) And is it deep red colour or little touch of marouney.

Kind Regards.
  18. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,839Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Personally, i think for a flightsimulator setup you should fix screen, steering wheel and pedal with the motion base. Acceleration and speed of the actuators decreased to a minimum, when i assume your are fllying a chessna or airbus and not a jetfighter. Also i suggest to use the 150 mm scn5 or the greater ones for a flightsim to get more stroke and a better feeling.

E.g.: (just imagine with more stroke and a lot more slowly)
    nice-simulator-selfmade-t1293.html

imho a joyrider setup is currently the best DIY motion simulator for flying purposes.
  19. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

@Fahim - I will be making these actuator covers available for purchase in approximately 30 days. They will be available in a variety of powder coated colors. When they become available, I will be offereing a special discount to contributing X-Sim members. Thanks for your interest.
  20. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Dear sir,

I am sure alot of people will be very interested in these. They look like a very high quality build. Would they fit both 100mm and 150mm actuator sizes.