1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question SimTools vs Ian's BFF & SMC3 vs 1280USB

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by SixDegreesOfFlight, Dec 3, 2017.

1. SixDegreesOfFlight

SixDegreesOfFlight Well-Known Member

Secondary Teacher: Systems Engineering & Computing
    Balance:
    2,222Coins
    Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    I am interested in the opinion of builders who have chosen BFF / 1280USB or SimTools /1280USB over SimTools and Arduino SMC3.

Setting aside cost for the moment, what is your opinion of using:

Ian's BFF with Thanos 1280USB vs SimTools with Arduino SMC3
    OR
    Ians BFF with Thanos 1280USB vs SimTools with Thanos 1280USB

I know @SeatTime and @wannabeaflyer2 use the 1280 and I am curious as to know why.
  2. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,287Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    HI @SixDegreesOfFlight once again my comments relate to my situation and Build history , I was one of the original Buyers of Thanos's AMC128USB , way way back and that's when the dream of 6DOF motion was just that :) I also had at the time Ian'S BFF 3DOF motion controler card and software as the intention was For a 3 DOF system ( 6DOF Pipedream - :) ) anyways over the years I accumulated a lot of kit experimenting etc , then I came across These guys her and the possibilities and things evolved very quickly , ..For me At the Time simtools was there and improving all the time But IANS BFF software and Thanos AMC was an easier Match in terms of implementing a 3- 6 DOF platform mainly because of the 6dof Maths algorithm / washout filter being built into the software and as the platform was mainly earmarked for Flight simulation ... this was before I found @SeatTime and @SilentChill 's project LOL , that's when the flood gates opened.. OK enough waffle Long story short for me is was convenience and the fact that Simtools was moving forward but had not released the 6dof Module with Washout filters etc ...I must point out that I believe that's no longer the case hence I Bought the New Barebones AMC to finally dive into the Simtools Environment.. also note Ians BFF has for now external Software support for only a few of the major simulation players, where as Simtools supports a Bucket load of options in that respect :) Sorry for the long post guys but us deaf guys tend to waffle on to makeup for hearing loss just ask my workmate :)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SixDegreesOfFlight

SixDegreesOfFlight Well-Known Member

Secondary Teacher: Systems Engineering & Computing
    Balance:
    2,222Coins
    Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    @wannabeaflyer2
    Thank you for sharing your experience.

One of the things I suspect about the 1280USB option is that a lot of variables are essentially 'baked in' making things maybe less versatile but easier to set up. That is a guess on my part as I read between the lines on other things I have read on the net.

In your experimentation, have you been able to see any demonstrable differences between BFF/1280USB vs SimTools/SMC3 in terms of how it handles game data? In other words is one faster / smoother than the other? Essentially, I am trying to understand why builders pay $250+ for BFF/1280USB combination rather than the much more cost effective SimTools / Arduino SMC3 which can be used with a much greater array of games?
  4. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,287Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    My Honest answer is that even after all these years being a member here I have not really advanced my knowledge of the full simtool software package beyond the dabbling with a 2DOF setup with SMC , it became a a case of, " If it aint broke don't fix it " Simcontroller / Software Combination wise .. .
    After dabbling with Simtools, the plan was for me to buy this new Barebones Kickstarter AMC128USB Controller and for me make a proper attempt at finally using the more flexible Simtools V2 software for my project ..

For me it was timing, and a case of using what I had at the time .. Moneywise Yes it was a big hit (back then not many contenders) but it promised an almost turnkey setup I,e software for 6DOF for hobbyist was thin on the ground ,access to Cost effective motor gearbox setups was very hit n miss Very Exoensive, and inexpensive liner actuators were pipe dream , but whilst waiting around hoping for a source to become available @SeatTime & @SilentChill helped to change my mindset as to what could be achieved without mega expense . so I have no real back to back comparison of the two software packages

Again cutting the waffle, Its a nice compact versatile Controller matched with Very good 6DOF software, but initially my dream was aimed at Flight simmimg + Robust Motor Controller ( i.e Sabertooths) made for easily configured 6DOF motion platform Project that for a time was going to be AC gearboxes and Ended up using Our community inspired Linear Actuators..
    The new version Simtools V2 released and the barebones AMC aligned with Sabertooth Motor Controller will in my opinion open up and even greater & cost effective Motion platform Setup for the ordinary Joe ( its almost Playstation Money for the heart of the system ) excluding Actuators... will try to get this combo up and running and start a new thread somewhere .. Cheers Guys
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    I can only vouch for the SMC - because that is all i have used

It seems to work good and you can get hold of the owner on this forum