1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question SimTools Simulate Motor Rev and Gear Shift

Discussion in 'SimTools Pro & Entertainment Version' started by Jeremy Ulmer, May 15, 2023.

1. Jeremy Ulmer

Jeremy Ulmer New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 17Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Hi,
    I wasn't sure where to post this so feel free to move it if need be. I am an instructor at a Technical College and we built a simulator based on SimTools V.3 , the SFX-100 actuators and the Thanos controller. I noticed in some reviews that there are motion controllers that simulate the engine rev and gear shift movements. Is that possible with SimTools and if so, how would one go about it.

Thanks for any advice or info in advance!
  2. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,634Coins
    Ratings:
    +459 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Sim tools and or simhub should be able to do it

Do you have a surge axis ?

Consider a vibration motor to create engine rpm
  3. Jeremy Ulmer

Balance:
    - 17Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Thanks for the response! We don't have a surge axis as of now. We just have the four actuators on the four corners of the rig. I considered doing vibration motors and may still. I was just interested if it could be achieved with the hardware we have currently. I was watching this review of the Qubic Systems actuators and it was being done with just the four actuators as far as I could tell.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2023
  4. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,288Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,032 / 16 / -0
    These effect can be added to any plugin, so it's possible, but I have not had time to experiment with it yet.
    Take care,
    yobuddy
  5. Jeremy Ulmer

Balance:
    - 17Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    OK, thanks for that! I guess we will go with the vibration motors for the time being. We're having a blast building this thing. If you ever want to get students interested in something a simulator is a great way to go!

Here's a photo of our rig so far. We bought a cheap steering wheel/pedal combo for testing purposes, but will be replacing those with DIY versions in the near future. Hand brake and H-pattern shifter are 3D printed. Still need to add a 3 monitor setup, but that will probably be next school year.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2