1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SimHawk's motion simulator

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by SimHawk, Oct 3, 2007.

1. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    BTW, here is my profiler setup:

[​IMG]
  2. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    Hello folks! Here is a new video from my simulator. It shows different settings and surfaces. One of my valves is broken so one cylinder has only one speed on extension. :( The video got a bit too long, but I think you can handle that. :wink:
    [​IMG]

Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrgLyWqzxUI

EDIT: for those who have seen my first video and do not see any difference in sim behaviour- I can assure you that in this last video the sim feels much more correct and the experience is far better. It is not fun having a sim that moves if it does not correspond well to the games output.
  3. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Looks very good :gut:

Although I think you can optimize it alot still. I'd reduce the pressure at first. We should find a way to calibrate your sim...

ego

EDIT: I saw that the joystick-mix mode in the profiler is near 15%!
    You should better reset the slider to minimum.

Btw, you could exchange the pic in the profiler with a pic of your sim :)
  4. riton

riton Active Member

Balance:
    1,006Coins
    Ratings:
    +103 / 3 / -0
    super cool
    very good work
  5. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    Hi folks, thanks for the responses, that makes it so much more inspiring to make this sim! :)

I tried at first with lower pressure , but although it feels better sometimes it was too booring for this video. :razz: So it is a little bit overdone just so you can see how it reacts. I usually turn down the overall simulator movement a bit for better realism. . As you can see from my profiler picture I use a lot of vertical G mixed in. That is because I like the shaky ride and to feel the bumps. You can see it when I jump, in the air it is calm, but starts to move when I hit the ground. Take a look at the first seconds as well and see how slow turns with smooth surface looks, nice and slow sim.

:?: Can you tell me what x-sim does if it is not calibrated correcly? I cannot see what is wrong. Next thing I will do is to try to calibrate it correctly
  6. Jeroen

Jeroen Member

Balance:
    - 33Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Nice job!!! very impressive...
  7. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Great! Amazing video and sim! That´s a proof that the concept of pneumatic actuators´still not dead and got a lot of potential for race simulators.

Well done.
    regards RaceRay :razz:
  8. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good work Simhawk! Just seen the video... It moves quite well especially on the bumpy road! Congrats!

I can't understand why mixing x,y axis in alsmot all variables... maybe its because of the pneumatics matrix adapted for SimforceGt motion...?

In my setup I just assign unique x , y axis and mixing z axis into y axis...

[​IMG]

Thanos
  9. riton

riton Active Member

Balance:
    1,006Coins
    Ratings:
    +103 / 3 / -0
    At the beginning you have installed the pots for the position X / Y in another position under the seat .
    But now 2 potentiometer are placed on each actuator is better?

[​IMG]

I do not understand how you can get good indication X / Y
    its good, i must install in the same position??
    i, need help for this work , thanks
  10. riton

riton Active Member

Balance:
    1,006Coins
    Ratings:
    +103 / 3 / -0
    Some actuator have a magnet cores, it will place a sensor on the body we can use this system, can be?
  11. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    Thanks! You should be thanked as well! ;D Your project and all the help on this forum made be begin this project. Thank you all!! :top:

It is because of the frex style of the frame. In all movements that is forward/backward both cylinders should retract/extend togehter. E.g. left cylinder is X, right is Y. Sideways movement must be inverted on one of the axis to make one cylinder extend and the other retract.
  12. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    I have always has had my pots mounted here:
    [​IMG]

I think it was ferrari_man that started out with the pots under the seat. Important thing is that each pot must reflect each actuators movement, not the seats forward backwards motion. When connected to the profiler the x/y window will show the x actuator in the horizontal plane and the y actuator in the vertical plane - when using frex style frame of course!

This means that the simulators forward/backward motion is 45 degrees rotated in the x/y window in the profiler application. E.g. upper left corner is fully forward and lower right is fully backwards on simulator.

Cylinders with magnetic core and toungue sensor elements is for end stop detection, not positioning - if I am not wrong. I thought about that myself. If positioning is needed in proffesional industry it seemes that they use very expensive linear pots that we poor homebuilders cannot afford. :(
  13. riton

riton Active Member

Balance:
    1,006Coins
    Ratings:
    +103 / 3 / -0
    Oups, you are right I am confused!

Thanks for the info, I thought that the pot has served to give the seat position. They therefore the position of the actuator, ok.
  14. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    @riton

It was a mistake. A Frex style system needs pots to feedback acutator position and NOT seat position.

Make it like Simhawk!
  15. riton

riton Active Member

Balance:
    1,006Coins
    Ratings:
    +103 / 3 / -0
    I am not sure of having understood :The pot on the cylinders, it's just for the Frex design, For other simulator puts the pot to get the seat position ?

ok, i make it like Simhawk :wink:
  16. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    @riton

Yes, thats right.
  17. riton

riton Active Member

Balance:
    1,006Coins
    Ratings:
    +103 / 3 / -0
    What sort of distubuteur did you? 5 / 3 center closed?
  18. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    Here are some pictures of some details of my sim.
    I have soldered an ULN2803 on top of the one that is on the Velleman board. They can work in parallell. Doubles the amount of current they can draw from the relays. Downside is that the heat dissipation from the lower one is pretty bad. I use this with no problem though. The switch you see is kill switch for the pneumatics, placed between the battery and the valves.

The valves are 5/3 - center closed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. riton

riton Active Member

Balance:
    1,006Coins
    Ratings:
    +103 / 3 / -0
    tkanks :wink:
  20. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    @Simhawk

Could you please check this matrix setup.

[​IMG]
    I'd like to put publish a matrix setup file for pneumatic sims like yours. Could you tell me if you've done it that way, please? Or any suggestions?

Have you made some progress with your setup? Are you going to replace the valve which got broken?

regards :xmas:
    ego