1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SimHawk's motion simulator

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by SimHawk, Oct 3, 2007.

1. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,215Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    @SimHawk - I called StcValve today and asked if they had a distributor in Norway.
    While they do not have a distributor in your local area,
    they said you could call them direct and place an order with them or email them an order and they would be happy to ship to you!

The list price on their sight for the 4V230C-1/4 valve is ($64.35 USD) about 45.43 Euros,
    so I got a little break from my local distributer but still not a bad price, anyway hope it helps.

The number I called was 650-856 8833 or you could always email them at Sales@StcValve.com

Good luck!
    yobuddy
  2. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    Some progress made yesterday. I bought aluminium for the frame and ordered cylinders from SMC, 160mm stroke 32mm bore.

I also received a fresnel lens from here: http://www.3dlens.com/shop/large-fresnel-lens-f550.php

I am not sure how that would be with the motion sim, but the effect of it in front of my LCD was pretty amazing. Cinema feeling in front of your LCD. In addition to the increased size of the image the eyes focuses behind the physical screen and that adds to the sim feeling. Cheap addon to your sim! :D Even my wife was impressed! That says a lot. :razz:

@yobuddy - Thank you for the tip, I e-mailed StcValve yesterday. Still waiting for answer. I have checked several local vendors and the cheapest 5/3 valve I've found so far is around $180. I hope STC Valve can ship to me.
  3. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    Todays progress:
    I got my Velleman card. I soldered the components in place and connected it to the PC. Then fired up profiler and selected the correct interface. Answered NO on use joystick as analog input and now it works! :D The LED's work... I have no simulator yet. The cylinders are on its way so all I am missing now is the valves to complete my simulator. If anyone know how to get some cheap 5/3 valves I'd be happy. Still no answer from STC Valves in the US. :(
  4. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,215Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    Calling them would only take a minute, 650-856 8833
  5. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Talking to somebody with an american slang is not that easy for an european guy ;)
  6. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,215Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    Ill call them for you if you want SimHawk.
    I know it can be hard to find decent valves at a good price.
    It took me quite awhile so don’t get discouraged.

yobuddy
  7. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    @ yobuddy
    Thank you, I have sent another e-mail to stc and one to Fremont Industrial Supply as well. If I do not hear from them I'd be glad if you could help. I have a contact in NYC that could order them for me and forward them to me if it is a problem with shipping to Norway. I'll let you know.

Edit:
    I got a reply from Fremont Ind. Supply, they do not ship out of US. Guess I have to get my contact in NYC to order it for me.
  8. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    Yesterday I started fabricating the frame. In the evening I realized that the frame was too wide to get trough my door! I have to decrease the width to 78cm to be able to move it around inside. What is the dimensions of other frex/SimForceGT frames?

[​IMG]

I also received the cylinders, but wrong stroke length, returned them and waiting for new ones.
  9. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
  10. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,215Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    your pivit point looks great!
    can I ask you where you got your rubber mount?

yobuddy
  11. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    @yobuddy - The rubber mount is an engine mount that I got from a local car spare parts shop for $7

I got my cylinders yesterday and tested the force it developed. I have no doubt it will be enough for the sim! Now I have to wait a few weeks for my valves. As a wait for that I have to finish my frame and mount pots, seatbelts and so on.
  12. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
  13. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Until you have servo valves, you should decrease the pressure a little :)

Where are you going to connect the pots?
  14. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Man, you are totally crazy. Don´t you know, why the automotiveindustrie uses muppets, better known as dummys? :D Such dumps could be deathly for you neck. If you want to be a human dummy, please use HANS (Head And Neck Support), so we can be sure you will survive and be able to show us the further progress of your excellent working simulator ;-)

Why did you move only two times on your chair, compressor empty, or did it hurts too much?

Keep on going - well done alternative for the Pain Chair by evanF ;-)

Even if i write some laughy emoti´s:
    Please be careful with very high pressures. It´s not worth to play with your health.
  15. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    Yes, the HANS device has saved a lot of drivers. It was not that violent. BTW. I had the end-air damper on the cylinders on max damping to avoid destruction of the cylinder. And I only did it a few times. But it was fun and inspired my further work! 8)
  16. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree you are crazy! :eek:

Even I placed a dummy weight on my simulator for the first tests!!!

Thanos
  17. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    No pain - no gain! 8)
  18. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    They are already mounted. Here are some pictures:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

As you can see I use a rubber band so there are always tension on the levers to eliminate dead zones. If it works during racing - nobody knows yet.
  19. riton

riton Active Member

Balance:
    1,006Coins
    Ratings:
    +103 / 3 / -0
    How pots has climbed you? One on each actuator?
    Your simu works properly with the position of pot?
  20. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    I am not sure if I understand your question. I have mounted one pot on each cylinder and it works well with the force profiler. I have not tested it with the sim actuallu running a game yet.