1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SIM builds and Materials USED

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Roy, Mar 21, 2015.

1. pipis2015

pipis2015 over-boost

Balance:
    10,248Coins
    Ratings:
    +271 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    The things I posted is not my work.
    Its just the data that helped me understand how things work.
    So I just shared them.

Same thing as I did with the calculations for my design above.

In the case my first sentence is miss understood ...I am not accusing anyone or anything.

But the fact is that there are a lot of misconceptions. I know I had a lot to clear out, when I started reading scattered info.

So as I said I just posted some data for people to read and evaluate.
  2. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Ok, but you did say above. quote '
    'The following info will be given with the purpose to provide some detailed info and bust some "myhts"'. Not looking for an argument, just trying to make sense of what you have written.
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here we go again, seen this info at least 3 times over the last 2 years.
    14 sims later , 4 sold, 2 hire units, 100s of people playing on them.
    Still uses DC worm gear motors and JRKs.
    100 of DIY sims built here with great success using wipers, dc motor with worm gears, ac motors etc. People build their own regardless on info like this posted.
    If you have an overall better idea on efficiency of motors, controllers, actuators, then go ahead.
    so @pipis2015 , whats your point?
  4. pipis2015

pipis2015 over-boost

Balance:
    10,248Coins
    Ratings:
    +271 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I am sorry , but I cannot understand the reason of your post.

If any info is wrong feel free to correct.

If you know all these things already then by all means please don't bother reading them again.

You write like you have been offended by something.
  5. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Not disagreeing with the above, just my 2cents worth on how I think the process works before the actual building - not in any specific order/importance below and I'm sure I have missed something:

'Vision' - What am I expecting to build - flight, car or hybrid sim - simple 2DOF to a 6 Dof or something else?
    Existing Designs - Is there a working design out there that meets all, or part of my vision - can I leverage off it?
    Me - What is my experience/background? Am I able to build all of it, or maybe contract some parts out - welding, water/laser cut metal parts etc? Cost impact?
    Time - What time can I devote to building, would it be better to contract some of the jobs out - as above.
    Workshop/Space - What space do I have to build and house the sim - how big can it be - will this impact my final design?
    Money - What is my budget - how and will this impact my design?
    Parts/Tools - What parts/tools do I already have, or can get/borrow cheaply? What do I have to buy locally, or from overseas - cost impact?

The above will be different for every person who builds a sim, which is why every design ends up a bit different.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am not offended........yet.
    There are people that have been on this site for years and have seen info like you posted come and go.
    You have reasons and have pointed them out, but really, for DIY, most of it is incorrect.
    " I think it would be better if all this info was organised in a tutorial/directive so new builders dont start from scratch. Because DIY is a lot about lowering the cost -as well as the joy of creation-. Having a list of minimum specs should provide a way to decide where the cost can be safely cut and where IT CANT."
    This has been asked for over and over and again we have said to people, its really difficult to actually do a complete list as even a driveshaft or a pot mount may be have to be done different in each build.
    I specified GENERAL build specs in my desk racer thread, but thats it, GENERAL info. Plenty of people have then gone and modded the overall details to their own builds.
    I could specify "use this driveshaft for a pivot" , but if that model is not available in your country, what are you going to use then?
    what if its aluminuim instead of steel frame? Should we have to do dimensions in both materials?
    What about if you have PVC pipe handy and you could build it in that?
    What about if the seat you want to use is wider or heavier than whats specified?
    What if you want to use a different seat?
    What about the motors, what if they are too expensive for you to get from Australia, you may question what ebay ones will do the job, then comes the question, "this is cheaper, will it do it?"
    Control boards, there are issues with people buying JRKS into their country, so they use arduino. If my post mentions only JRK and you have to use arduino, then thats a part of the post that cannot help and you have to source the info from another member.
    @SeatTime nailed it in his post, thats fine, the rest of your info I mostly disagree with.
    Racingmat has a detailed build, but even then, what if you want to use JRKs or more powerful DC motors? What if you want to use a different code on the arduino?
    What if you wish to change the design slightly?
    One guy here bought the kit from wanegain , the basic base, more a seat mover thing I think, and he sat a full frame on it. Is there going to be a problem with support on that wooden base?
    Can you see there is too many variables...........
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. pipis2015

pipis2015 over-boost

Balance:
    10,248Coins
    Ratings:
    +271 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    @bsft rest assured that I am not challenging neither your experience nor your building capabilities. I don't want to and I don't feel the need to do so.

In fact as I have mentioned on my first post on the forum, I have used info from many projects (including yours) to design and build my Sim.

I am sharing mostly facts and some of my thoughts ( I think I have the right to do so in a forum) without insulting anyone.

You have the right to disagree and comment likewise.

I still cannot understand why you have such an attitude. But that's fine by me.
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Pardon if I seem like I have an attitude.
    Lets carry on shall we?
    • Agree Agree x 1