1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom shannonb1's Dbox Style Rig SFX100

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by shannonb1, Dec 7, 2018.

1. joe extraknow

joe extraknow Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,550Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I love to see a video on large movement in 3dof as above shown with racing sim (rF2 or AC), possible?

Are you saying the suspension deflection telemetry data on each tire are used to feed each actuator? If so, how can this make a sense in terms of physics?

The seat and pedals are mounted on chassis so only chassis telemetry data are useful and make a sense to feed the actuators. Chassis is connected to absorbers/shack/springs etc,,,,
    All sim racing games today as far as I know offer no 4 individual corner chassis telemetry data.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  2. shannonb1

shannonb1 Well-Known Member

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino, JRK, 4DOF
    you ever sit in a real car? when you slam on the brakes what happens? Front shocks compress, ass end goes up....steering wheel moves with the car....

Do you have a sim? just curious
  3. HugoB

HugoB New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    215Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    I’m not saying that suspension deflection data is being used, I’m saying it can be used with 4 actuators, not with 3. The SimFeedback software is open source, you can write your own plug-ins. You could use telemetry data from individual wheels/suspension in the same way 4 Buttkickers in ‘chassis mode’ work and drive the 4 actuators with tactile information, on top of roll/pitch/heave. But this is a theoretical situation. If you use only roll/pitch/heave, you only need 3 actuators of course.

I’m just saying that the current setup with 4 actuators is working perfectly with racing simulation. Why would it be a disadvantage to use 4 instead of 3 if the movement is correct? If at any time one actuator slightly lifts up from the floor, this just means the motion was faster than the inertia of the rig, it can’t ‘pull’ the rig down, you need to lower your max speed settings. Using correct settings, this doesn’t happen. But if it does happen, it’s also not an issue, you don’t feel it anyway.

One advantage of 4 could also be the added lifting power. It has plenty of power and speed to simulate any situation with a lot of overhead. There is no loss in speed if you add weight to your rig, because the weight is being lifted by 4 actuators with around 200kg lifting power per actuator.
  4. shannonb1

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    at this point im retracting my approval. Cant get any ground on the noise coming from the motors. The simfeedback communities suggestion...wear fkin headphones....yeh tell that to the wife behind me on the couch. Guess Im coming back over to the seat mover fellas. Sad to do this but that sound actually rings for hours after and makes me nauseas.
    • Informative Informative x 3
  5. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Wow.. was not expecting that, recommend you don't purchase SCN actuators for your seat mover :). All the best.
  6. shannonb1

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    im pretty fkin bummed..its fun as all get out...but the noise...its giving me migranes at this point and making me want to puke...you turn your head one way, you cxant hear it, its killing me
  7. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    It makes you sick..:confused: - is it a high frequency noise - maybe from the inverters?
  8. HugoB

HugoB New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    215Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    Are you using VR? If so, the motion could be making you sick, if you where used to VR without motion prior. Even not using VR you could be getting sick from the different kind of motion. High energy low frequency vibration through mechanical connection to body is known to make people nauseous. But not high frequency... no sound is known to make people nauseous, it’s an urban myth..

I use VR with headphones and don’t hear any noise :) The fan of my Buttkicker amp is way louder than the SFX100’s. You could use Bose noise cancelling headphones, they will mute any sound that’s continuous.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  9. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    from the video, VR is not being used..Cannot say that noise has ever made me sick, but that is what is being described?
  10. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Oh dear :( That's not good, I'm lucky to have mine in the basement but to be honest it isn't actually that loud anyway I think it would be the buttkickers which would drive everyone else crazy.

Could you not use different motors ? Surely sticking some Ampflow motors or something on there would be good ? Althouth you would need different drivers and stuff though
  11. Ringorumble

Ringorumble Active Member

Balance:
    190Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    For me there is and was never a motion Sim which is really wife compatibel to store in the living room. I am 44 and i am happy that she doesnt call me kid cause i sit in front of a computer on a moving chair playing Car games ... this is my sixt motion and its the most silent .. only the high whine ... that most of us don´t hear when driving ... cause we hear the motor sound. Thats why i dont undersatnd that YOU get migraine ..
    If i odnt use it and press stop, nothing whines
    i have my pimax and know that it works when i touch it in the middle right or left, tracking is gone when touching on the edges .. I know it but i try it always again .. old enough to know better.
    So do you hear it cause you know that there is something and concentrate on it rather that driving with sound over your ears and dont give a love ?
    That your wife goes crazy with that thing besides , fully understand that. My would also go crazy without the high whine ..
    i bet that if you turn that thing in a corner , isolate that corner with some Foam which i showed you in discord and put that sim on a carpet it will get better since the whine would maybe get sucked a little or all by the foam. Check JamesClonk ´s video , he also has the wall isolated and have it in a corner ...
    You get a cheap high powered Actuator because cheap products are used .. maybe thats the reason they feep. For the whole build you can buy 4 Argons which dont whine as you said, but then you dont have the motors, the alloy, the ball bearing ... nothing else ..

If nothing helps the only way is sell it .. or a garage or something .
    Thumbs pressed :)
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  12. prodigy

prodigy Burning revs

Balance:
    6,698Coins
    Ratings:
    +399 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, AC motor, SCN5, JRK
    @shannonb1

Could you shoot a close-up video of the motor and the noise?
    I am really interested about that sound.
    From some other SFX100 videos it didn't sound nearly as bad as SCN actuators sounds.

Mind you, I have a man cave where my simulator is, so I don't bother anybody much with the sound of it, but still I would like to have something more quiet than SCN's I have now.
  13. Ringorumble

Ringorumble Active Member

Balance:
    190Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    Its only a high whine coming from the driver , no stepper or anything else like tone. You wont hear it on a video ...
    Had the same with my old Plasma TV PSU, it drove me crazy, and after 4 years i got a new one. the thing was , nobody else heard that high whine on that Plasma and all where asking , heee, what ... so i can understand his wifes concerns sitting besides him in the living room ...
  14. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    Is it louder than this?

15. shannonb1

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    thats the loving whistle!
  16. dododge

dododge Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    854Coins
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I can just barely hear a whine in that video if I turn the sound way up. I ran it through a spectrum analyzer and there's a solid line at just above 10kHz, so I assume that's it.

This may just be a matter of individuals being able to hear certain frequencies. People usually start progressively losing high-frequency hearing in their early 20s, so these high whines typically get fainter as you get older. I recall that when I was in Jr. high I could tell if someone was in the computer lab simply by listening at the door for the transformers in the tube monitors, and I have a vague recollection that the teachers had no idea what I was talking about.

There are even anti-loitering devices that exploit this by emitting high-pitched shrieks that [usually] only teenagers can hear, though in that case it's way up above 17kHz. If I play a video example of that frequency I indeed can't "hear" it, but if I crank up the volume high enough I can start to sense it almost as a form of physical pressure in my head and it's extremely unpleasant.
  17. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    Hahaha, that noise is barely noticable. You should hear the noise AC motors on VFD do with louder whining noise and variable frequency too, just in case you missed hearing it in one frequency...

18. stevemontuno

stevemontuno Active Member

Balance:
    1,721Coins
    Ratings:
    +335 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I don't reckon i could handle all the noise that comes with using actuators either ,i think i'd be jumping on the band waggon too if it wasn't for that ,,,,,, I gotta say though those D-box style rigs do look like heaps of fun ,,,i suppose it's a catch 22 situation.
  19. cfischer

cfischer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,425Coins
    Ratings:
    +234 / 1 / -0
  20. shannonb1

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    people dont seem to understand that its not necessarily about the volume as much as it it the frequency. That noise doesnt go away just because your speakers get louder, its still there. Its a separate source. Its potentially doing permanent damage to both yourself as well as anyone in the room. I dont care much to deafen my children nor do I want to noise to mess with my pets. I would best describe the pain as a pressure that the sound places on the ear. Trying to compare the sound of a gear driven motor is not even relevant, its not even close to the same thing.