1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SFX-100 Open Sim Racing Build

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by mprofitt, Jun 21, 2022.

1. mprofitt

mprofitt Member

Balance:
    230Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I have been sim racing since mid-1990's, Papyrus NASCAR and Hawaii. After NASCAR 4 I lost interest due to the "SIM" becoming and arcade game. Years later, I wanted to get back into sim racing and found iRacing. I dug out my old plastic MS-Sidewinder and started racing iRacing. I soon discovered I needed a better wheel so I bought a Logitech and it was a huge improvement. After I wore that wheel out, I had to have a direct drive wheel, so I went with SimXperience and because of the torque, I had to build a chassis. No more racing at my desk. Along with the chassis I found a cheap HMD for a little more than $100. I have since upgraded the PC and the HMD to a Pimax 5K.
    It is now time to add some motion and I have decided on the SFX-100 using a design provided by OpenSimRigs.
    image0.jpeg
    The chassis is in the process of powered coating. I expect to receive all the needed parts over the next 4 weeks so this is going to move fast. I have waited a long time for this.
    Untitled Project 7.jpg
    I am going to try and post my progress as often as possible and will probably need assistance from the community.
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  2. mprofitt

mprofitt Member

Balance:
    230Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I picked up the 150 lbs of extruded aluminum in Columbia City, IN. It was a 4 hour drive and still cheaper than shipping. I bought long pieces to save the $3.00 fee per cut. I recommend not to do that. It is a lot of work, messy, and takes a lot of concentration not to screw up. I only saved $30 after I bought the proper non-ferrous metal blade. I would have gladly paid the $30 to save the 4-5 hours of work. Now I know.

UPS Claus has been here the last couple days and I have assembled what I could. I am patiently waiting for the machine shop to complete the powder coating.

image1.jpeg image0.jpeg
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  3. mprofitt

mprofitt Member

Balance:
    230Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I received the powder coated aluminum plates from the machine shop and began assembly. I have received a few parts for the SFX-100 actuators. I expect to have them all and continue the assembly mid July.

EQRJ8197.JPG 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2022