1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question SFX-100 Builders in Australia

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by ThumpMan, Apr 28, 2020.

1. ThumpMan

ThumpMan New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    95Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Hi All,
    I have been an active member for years and lost all my info as its been some time since jumping back onto the sim forums. Hence seems I am new again.
    I have been running a SCN5 (frex) seat mover for years and just decided to upgrade to a new rig. I went the Trakracer TR80 route as I have been using extrusion for years and its good look and fit for my space.

As I pour over the hundreds / thousands of threads and posts obviously the SFX-100 has caught my eye especially as I run VR. The initial thought was to convert my 2dof to 4dof.
    I actually already brought the extrusion only to start pouring over the threads again and be excited by the progression within this community. So I have a new rig on the way, more extrusion than I need and want to build a sfx-100 sim.

So I am based in Sydney and looking for other SFX100 builders in Australia to give me a hand with my new build. I will sell off the SCN5 seat mover and want to start this SFX100 build.
    My greatest constraint is time. I have an extremely busy job so time is one thing I dont have a lot of.
    So I am putting the call out to my fellow aussies for some help and support as I venture down this path.
    WAF would definitely increase if my simulator chirps nearly disappear

I do hope the my fellow locked down aussies can provide assistance
  2. David Desira

David Desira Rat Racing

Instrument tech
    Balance:
    86Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Hi Thumpman, I'm new here as well & thought I'd say hi. I'm also looking at a total upgrade of my old rig, making a new setup complete with the sfx100 actuators. Have you made a start on your build?
    Currently putting a list together to order all the parts this week
  3. ThumpMan

ThumpMan New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    95Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Hi David
    Yes I have started my build. Lots to absorb. I am putting a list together of places I purchased the parts from in Aus.
    Note - I still purchased my extrusion from Germany and motors from china
    PM me if you want some assistance
  4. David Desira

David Desira Rat Racing

Instrument tech
    Balance:
    86Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Thanks mate, I appreciate your help. You're not kidding about a lot to learn!
    My worry is more the computer side, engineering not so bad. it's good to have a local contact to share ideas and help. Cheers, David
  5. shanothegreat

shanothegreat Member Gold Contributor

Technician
    Balance:
    496Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT
    Hi Dave, I have just finished ordering the parts for the actuators, motors from China on Saturday, just over AU$1,300 shipped. I sourced most of the parts, ball screws, bearings, etc through Aliexpress without much trouble except 30mm hollow bearing shaft which never arrived (refund given). Ironically the Item24 profile was available from a Melbourne supplier, AU$400 shipped, and the bearing shaft from another Melbourne supplier AU$170 pick up.
    I'm probably going to fashion a chassis myself out of aluminium, only as I have my own AC Tig welder and am going to go for a more rigid tube chassis, I have CAD drawings of a Formula Ford to follow.
    Good Luck and feel free to contact me if you need any info.

Regards
    Shane
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,672Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
  7. Andrew Bird

Andrew Bird New Member

Balance:
    205Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor
    I'm just across the ditch in NZ so found it cheaper to get parts from Aliexpress as well, Kinetik was too expensive especially for the Extrusion. I did get a quote for the 100 x 100 extrusion from Item in Australia but the shipping made it too dear at $360 AUD (plus tax) for 4 x 250mm lengths. I then contacted a seller on Alibaba and was able to get 8 x 250mm cut lengths (making a set later for my uncle) delivered for $359 NZD including shipping which gets it down to $180 for the 4 I needed. Can share the seller info if you want it. Only thing is I picked the heavier extrusion that has 12mm holes for the threads so I had to order some M14-M8 thread reducers to fix that, can sell my M12-M8 inserts later.
    I was lucky that all my SFX-100 parts I ordered from Aliexpress actually arrived and most of it over the lockdown, deliveries since then have actually gotten worse with some things just not showing up at all.