1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SFX-100 Actuator Homing & Calibrating

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by ERGUN OZYURT, Sep 7, 2020.

1. ERGUN OZYURT

ERGUN OZYURT erguno

Balance:
    - 246Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF
    Hi everybody,

I am looking sfx-100 actuator design, but I can not find any limit switches etc for homing & calibrating. How sfx-100 find home position ? I know servos are intelligent but they need absolute positioning for range if they dont have absolute encoder ?

Any knowledge ?

Thanks.
  2. morpwr

morpwr New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    36Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    If you use the Thanos controller it has protection built in for that. He has videos showing how it works. Ive been using his for a few weeks now and it works great.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,672Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    Be careful with servomotor. If not using proper controller, you might face a few unexpected problems or failures down the road, that you should be prepared for. See here on this video where I force for the sake of documentation some common failures and how the protections kick in to prevent damage.

4. ERGUN OZYURT

ERGUN OZYURT erguno

Balance:
    - 246Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF
    Thanks for explanation. But I want to know how this technically can be done ? I am not talking about protection. You may get alarm from servo controller and stop simulator.

But in normal conditions, while you are using your simulator, electric goes down. Controller and no body knows position of any actuator. After electric come again, how it can determine last positions of actuators ?
  5. wingert

wingert Active Member

Balance:
    642Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    the weight of the rig pushes the actuator with no motor power always to the lower starting position
  6. ERGUN OZYURT

ERGUN OZYURT erguno

Balance:
    - 246Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF
    I did not tested it yet, but as I read about ball screws, there is a lock to for linear motion without spinning, like gearboxes. If there is a lock, rig should not move with weight. If there is no lock, holding torque of servos should be enough for holding rigs when no motion.
  7. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,672Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    In any case you need to calibrate the home position of the actuator EVERY time you enable the servo, even with worm gear. And with leadscrew you still may not 100 confident that all actuators are really lowered down to 0 position by gravity...

You can even use external contactless limit switches if you don't want to try the motor against hard stop (if not available for example):

• Like Like x 1
  8. wingert

wingert Active Member

Balance:
    642Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Not in this concept, e.g. if you push the E-stop the rig moves immediately down.
  9. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,672Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Correct... The AMC-AASD15A controller however has hold mode e-stop as well... it will hold position of the motors even if not equipped with brakes ;)

Have another look in the video: