1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question serious problems with power supplies

Discussion in 'Electronic and hardware generally' started by evolaco, May 12, 2018.

1. evolaco

evolaco Member

Balance:
    1,070Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hi, I have a 2dof with a server power supply feeding two 12v motors, I want to add a third 24v motor next to two server sources in series, I use a single arduino with smc3, to the ibt2 of the third motor I took it 5v and gnd of the first source since it is the one that feeds the arduino, the 24v I take them from the new power supplies, the problem is that the gnd of the 5v starts to heat up and melt and the sources stop, I have tried to join the masses of both sources, so they do not stop but the cable that connects them also starts to heat up and smoke.
    I have to use another compulsory arduino for the third motor and so twner a closed circuit with the new power supplies?
    If so, how can I use the smc3 scale pot to control the two arduinos?
  2. NjMotion

NjMotion Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,500Coins
    Ratings:
    +261 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 6DOF
    The 5V and GND you only use for the potentiometers, right? Why do not you take them out of the Arduino and not from the power supply?

Los 5V y GND sólo lo usas para los potenciómetros, verdad? Porque no los sacas del Arduino y no de la fuente de alimentación?
  3. evolaco

evolaco Member

Balance:
    1,070Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hi, I also feed the ibt2, those of the motion are already powered by the 12v source and I had thought that I should feed the new one with the same source because they go to the same arduino, but when connecting the 24v of the two sources in series something fails and the negative literally burns. At the end I will put another arduino for the loss traction and thus leave a closed circuit fed by the sources in series, although it also happens the same if I connect the 12v of the source that pulls the positive of 24v and the 5v of the source of the negative , but with 24v and 5v it does not fail and I guess with a new arduino it will be fine.
    What I do not know what happens with the potentiometer of the smc3 for the scale, only anger for an arduino, that can not do anything that is not to put two potentiometers?

Hola, tambien alimento las ibt2, las del motion ya estan alimentadas con la fuente de 12v y habia pensado que debia alimentar la nueva con la misma fuente porque van al mismo arduino, pero al conectarles los 24v de las dos fuentes en serie algo falla y arde literalmente el negativo. Al final voy a poner otro arduino para el loss traction y asi dejar un circuito cerrado alimentado por las fuentes en serie, aunque tambien pasa lo mismo si conecto los 12v de la fuente que saca el positivo de 24v y los 5v de la fuente del negativo, pero con los 24v y los 5v no falla y supongo que con un arduino nuevo irá bien.
    Lo que no se que pasa con el potenciometro del smc3 para la escala, solo ira para un arduino, eso no se puede hacer nada qeu no sea poner dos potenciometros?
  4. NjMotion

Balance:
    1,500Coins
    Ratings:
    +261 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 6DOF
    What I would do is take the 5v for the potentiometers and the ibt2 for the arduino and thus use a single arduino for the three motors.

Lo que yo haría es sacar los 5v para los potenciómetros y las ibt2 del arduino y así usar un solo arduino para los tres motores.
  5. evolaco

evolaco Member

Balance:
    1,070Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    what happens to wue until source does not give the 5v the arduino only gives 4.88 and the hall have a bit of noise, and I'm afraid to connect something and that is founded ... I have already modified the installation for another arduino, I also I have a lot of wiring because the loss traction box has it in the structure below because it did not fit in the other and the engine I use is huge, and I had to take it from one structure to another and there are about 2 meters or more wiring, I think that I can make an arduino for everything and that everything is cleaner, this afternoon I'll see what happens, I hope I do not see smoke again ...

lo que pasa ea wue hasta quebla fuente no da los 5v el arduino solo da 4.88 y los hall tienen un poco de ruido, ya me da miedo conectar algo y que se funda... ya he modificado la instalación para otro arduino, tambien me ahirro mucho cableado porque la caja del loss traction la tengo en la estructura de abajo porque no cabia en la otra y el motor que uso es enorne, y tenia que llevarlo de una estrutura a otra y hay unos 2 metros o algo mas de cableado, creoq u mejir un arduino para cada cosa y que quede mas limpio todo, esta tarde se lo pondre a ver que pasa, espero no volver a ver humo...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. NjMotion

Balance:
    1,500Coins
    Ratings:
    +261 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 6DOF
    If they are separated is the best, two independent facilities. Luck!

Sí están separados es lo mejor, dos instalaciones independientes. Suerte!:grin
  7. evolaco

evolaco Member

Balance:
    1,070Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I have connected a new arduino and the thing is not going well, if I connect the arduino to the 5v of the source they stop, in the motion I have it without problems, being in series there must be some problem, I have isolated the mass of one and I do not know if there is to remove the mass from the other, I have it removed from the isolated one and the 5v from that source too, I do not know if I should take the positive one from the isolated one and the mass from the other one, maybe it has nothing to do, but I do not know what
    if I do not connect to 5v the arduino do not stop but when I feed the ibt2 with the source if they stop being lls 5v of the arduino alone, what a problem I did not expect ..

he conectado un arduino nuevo y la cosa no va bien, si conecto el arduino a los 5v de la fuente se paran, en el motion lo tengo asi sin problemas, al estar en serie debe haber algun problema, tengo aislada la masa de una y no se si hay qje sacar la masa de la otra, la tengo sacada de la aislada y los 5v de esa fuente tambien, no se si debwria sacar el positivo de la aislada y la masa de la otra, quizas no tenga nada que ver, pero ya no se que más mirar
    si no conecto a 5v el arduino no se paran pero cuando alimento las ibt2 con la fuente si se paran al ser lls 5v del arduino solo, vaya problema que no me esperaba..
  8. evolaco

evolaco Member

Balance:
    1,070Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I have connected the isolated source as positive of the 24v and the other as gnd and the isolated one stopped working, how can that be? Is not it supposed to be like that?

he conectado la fuente aislada como positivo de los 24v y la otra como gnd y la aislada a dejado de funcionar, como ouede ser eso? no se supone que deberia ser asi?
  9. NjMotion

Balance:
    1,500Coins
    Ratings:
    +261 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 6DOF
    What model of power supply are they? They should be both isolated.
    To see the problem well, it would be good to see the complete scheme of your installation.

Que modelo de power supply son?deberían estar las dos aisladas.
    Para ver bien el problema vendría bien ver el esquema completo de tu instalación.
  10. evolaco

evolaco Member

Balance:
    1,070Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    one is a dps800gb and the other is the same but it is called different, although the two were on the same server and are of the same amps, when the isolated one was broken they were only connected to the arduino

una es una dps800gb y la otra es igual pero se llama diferente, aunque las dos estaban en el mismo servidor y son de los mismo amperios, cuando se ha roto la aislada solo estaban conectadas al arduino