1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom seatmover2d – 2dof seat mover build

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Joao Coutinho, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Joao Coutinho

Joao Coutinho New Member

Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Three years after building the first motion platform I took another step and built another one. Obviously I planned to improve on the previous and so far, it’s mission accomplished in multiple aspects! Two of the most noticeable improvements are the feedback system and motion response times.

The feedback potentiometers are now directly connected to the motor output, giving 1:1 readings, meaning nearly full ADC range, compared to the previous, ~1/3 range, this is a huge upgrade in terms of motion detail.

Motion response times decreased a lot due to the position where the motor rods now connect to the seat. At shoulders level, away from the weight of the structure and driver, meaning that the motors have to move significantly lower weight. The top weight has also reduced since this is a seat mover, not a complete playseat mover (this can sound odd, especially because the pedals stay fixed, while the driver moves, but it is quite comfortable actually).

[​IMG]

Other improvements include a) seat closer to ground, making it easier for entering/exiting, at the same time, providing a better race feel b) lateral gear shift holder, adjustable c) modular structure, easier for transportation d) custom built motor bases, improved symmetry e) painted, looks better, rust free f) cardan is now mounted with bolts, allowing tiny adjustments to achieve structure symmetry g) cermet potentiometers – theorically these are way better than the plastic ones but honestly I’m not feeling an improvement, and one broke already – this is not bad, actually, because the cermet pots are way more expensive [​IMG]
    I haven’t built a monitor stand since I now drive with the Rift CV1 all the time [​IMG]

All the electronics and some mechanical parts were harvested from the previous platform, including the truck wiper 12V/24V motors – this helped to keep the budget not too high [​IMG]

I recently switched to SimTools due to X-Sim being more resource hungry and so far it has been a great experience. Especially with Dirt Rally! Coupled with Oculus Rift and motion, Dirt is one of the best experiences so far. Assetto Corsa was always amazing and rFactor2 is a legend, lacking VR support at the moment.

All the pieces after welding, ready to paint:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Assembly:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Electronics and mechanics:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Parts list
    • 2x DC Motors SWF VALEO NIDEC ITT 404.458 24V
    • 1x Arduino + Monster Moto Shield
    • 1x Modded PSU – HP DPS 600PB
    • 4x M10 Female Thread Rod End Joint Bearing
    • 2x M10 threaded rod
    • 1x PlaySeat Revolution (the structure can be easily adapted for other bucket seats)
    • 1x car/truck cardan
    • steel tubes
    • 3mm steel plate (500mm x 500mm is more than enough)
    • 1x 16A quick circuit breaker
    • 2x 10A fuses + fuse box
    • 2x M3 threaded rods
    • 2x 6mm rod joint units
    • 2x potentiometers with 6mm round shaft (usually cermet types are better)
    • < 14 AWG eletric wire
    • A few M10, M8, M6 bolts, washers & nuts

Arduino firmware
    https://github.com/joaoubaldo/seatmover2d

• Like Like x 7
  2. Joao Coutinho

Joao Coutinho New Member

Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator: