1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

scn6 amp/servo controller issue

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by crammy, Aug 2, 2016.

1. crammy

crammy Active Member Gold Contributor

Fabrication
    Balance:
    4,633Coins
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    hi All
    I am having trouble with one of my amps for the scn6 so dont know if anyone can help
    The light is green showing it is connected but the usb adapter is not flashing. it is not moving in simtools and the comport is not showing up in the dyadic tbvst software or even x-sim to check the ID.
    I have swapped all the controllers around on different actuators and comports and no matter what the configuration, it is all ways the actuator connected to this amp/servo that does not work.
    Any suggestions as i know they are pretty much bullet proof.
    I have removed the casing and checked the continuity along the leads to the internal connections and all is fine. i have even swapped the cabling to test and its always the same one.
    As the light is green is must be connected because as soon as you pull a cable it goes red.
    Its really winding me up now. i just want to play on it.
    @nclabs. any suggestions mate
  2. crammy

Fabrication
    Balance:
    4,633Coins
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    well i have concluded it it just fu***d. i managed to run xsim in debug mode and it can find the com port but not the actuator connected to it. i run the free serial port monitor and it says simtools opened port and then port closes. i tested with a known controller and it just spits continuous data. i dont know what else to do other than to buy a new one. Joys of buying from abroad i guess.
  3. nclabs

nclabs Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    Hey mate, it's incredible but I'm having some issues as well with one of my scn6, but it's not like yours. Let me understand, you have two actuators and two electronic board, (let say A with A and B with B, and A is not working) if you swap the actuator A with electronic board B what happens?
  4. crammy

Fabrication
    Balance:
    4,633Coins
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    hi mate. I have 5 actuators and 5 boards.
    I will Call the faulty servo/amp A. what ever combination i connect it in, it is always the actuator with servo/amp A connected to it that doesn't work.
    I have mixed up everything. Every com port, usb adapter actuator and cable is fine.
    its a pain in the arse mate. I cant connect it to any software to do a thing with it
  5. nclabs

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for the delay mate, but I got no notification, don't know why.

As you already said, I think that actuator is fuc_ked up. Do you have warranty? It is very unfortunate because those actuators are very reliable, but sometime shit happens...
  6. crammy

Fabrication
    Balance:
    4,633Coins
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    hi mate
    its not the actual actuator that is broke but the separate servo. what ever actuator i put that servo on does not work. @f1iceman is lending me a icom-m with software that he used to get a connection and try and change the ID but im not sure if the id is in the servo/amp or the actuator itself. it may or may not work. In the end i have just purchased a new controller so am waiting for that to arrive.
    How are you getting on with yours and whats up with them? Im learning quite a bit about these thing now
  7. nclabs

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    Well, I'm trying to get some support from dyadic, let's wait for them.
    I'm getting a very strange behavior from one of my two SCN6. Unfortunatly this issue is completely random, and it's very hard to repeat that every time. Sometime, in the middle of the driving session, one actuator stops (always with the stroke near to full closure), at that point I quit everything and I disconnect the power of my power supply attached to the SCN6, and I try to manually pull back the actuator. Now it gets weird. At this stage I cannot do it, because the actuator push back a lot, it's like it is stuck or it is fixed in a particular position (remember that it has no power). After this I disconnect the two cables that goes from the electric unit to the actuator itself, and when I do that, the actuators moves without resistance. Sometimes when the actuator stops, the red led lights up, sometimes not. I try to swap the actuators, but the problem always appear with the left electric unit. I really have no clue now. Could it be a wiring issue? Can it be overheating? (electric unit warm up a lot).
  8. crammy

Fabrication
    Balance:
    4,633Coins
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    Sounds like a pain in the arse mate. I must admit the servo that wasn't working on mine was getting pretty warm and it was just sitting there.
    One thing I have noticed on mine is that I can't physically pull or push them with or without power. Maybe that's because I have 100kg versions. I can move the 60kg one but not easily. I expected them to be pretty loose.
    I even dismantled my unit and tested every single cable and connection and all were fine. Mine never even had a red light which stumped me
  9. nclabs

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    I have the feeling that's something really stupid behind this issue, but I think that I need to figure it out on my own. Back to the start again!
  10. crammy

Fabrication
    Balance:
    4,633Coins
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    mine may have been something stupid but got fed up with it. I fully stripped mine and started again. it the best way for fault finding. At least if i figure it out i will have a spare lol.
    worst case scenario yo can just buy the controller. mine worked out £250 shipped. if they post to me first and not customs i will refuse to pay the duty as its a replacement for faulty goods and argue it out. if it stays at fed-ex like my last package did im screwed. ill have to pay and try and claim it back
  11. f1iceman

f1iceman Why So Serious ? ( The Joker )

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    hi mate can you move the fault around your rig by changing the parts around and mix it up abit aswell.
  12. crammy

Fabrication
    Balance:
    4,633Coins
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    Yes mate. The fault is always on whatever actuator the servo/amp box is connected too. I mixed everything up including cables and the 485 boards and always the same result. Was handy for fault finding.
    It really helped having 4 of that type of actuator as I had a lot of different options for mixing up things
  13. nclabs

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    By the way, do you use 4 actuators in the same rig??
  14. crammy

Fabrication
    Balance:
    4,633Coins
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    Yes mate. I actually use 5. I'll post a link to a test video in a bit. Just got to find it
  15. crammy

Fabrication
    Balance:
    4,633Coins
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
  16. crammy

Fabrication
    Balance:
    4,633Coins
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    It's not set up properly there mate. Just put it together and set up with sim tools and the Mrs was driving lol.
    Axis are wrong direction etc but it works really well
  17. crammy

Fabrication
    Balance:
    4,633Coins
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    @nclabs. did you sort your issue. twice last night one of my actuators stopped and the red light came on.

On the plus side though i am up and running with a new controller/amp
  18. nclabs

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    No yet, I was on vacation. But I think I could make it pretty soon.
    So, finally someone actually made a d-box like simulator with SCN6! That's impressive! Which model do you have for the lifting?
  19. crammy

Fabrication
    Balance:
    4,633Coins
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    Hi @nclabs. I have the frex hyper-axis 100. I believe they are custom made by dyadic. they are capable of lifting 100kg each apparently. my rig with me on it has got to be about 220-250kg above the actuators that needs lifting and its no problem with them.
  20. nclabs

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    What the hell! 100 kg of thrust? That thing can fly if you get the settings wrong! :D
    Frex actuators by dyadic are similar to standard SCN6? How the wiring compare? Do you have skype?