1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SCN5 / SCN6 Hardware Thread

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by egoexpress, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Re: SCN5 Hardware Thread

If I am not mistaken, this wiring diagram would provide half-duplex functionality. Is it possible to achieve full-duplex with the SCN5's?
  2. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The ones I try are very cheap compared to everything else, we are talking here about 10 times more for a adapter that is known to work ($13 versus $150 or so) unless one makes them at home.
    However, they seem to not work right, so they might not be a good solution.

I edited the pictures, for the front side the left is female, the right is male and for the back side the left is male and the right is female.

I tried all possible combinations in the settings and nothing works. Serial makes the computer go crazy, as said before, serial-usb does't do that, but still doesn't detect them.

3. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

I will confirm that mine work tomorrow when I have some free time (Thanksgiving obligations today). I believe that they will and only cost $30.

They support 8 different configurations including Point-to-point full duplex (four wire) ,Point-to-Point half-duplex (two wire), Simplex, Multi-Drop Full Duplex (four wire) and Multi-Drop Half Duplex two wire.

According to SirNoNames statement about the Termi-Bus limitation above it seems to me that the correct configuration for this adapter would be Point-to-Point (2-Wire) Half Duplex and that it should work just fine.

I'll post back once I've confirmed.
  4. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  5. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

It is a settings/configuration issue for sure.
    You could send one of your converters to Sirnoname for testing.

Regards
  6. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If he wants them I can send then to him, if he gets them to work it would be a cheap non self-made option for anybody that needs something.
  7. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

I got them at http://www.tigerdirect.com. However, when I just went there to get you a link to the product, I discovered that it is no longer showing up in their catalog. I may have got the last two they had. I know that that when they are out of stock of an item, they simply remove it from the site as opposed to displaying it and people not being able to purchase it.

The only one they have in stock right now is a different model from mine, and is even more expensive than the one you found. It is: ATEN IC485S

The model number of the item that I bought from them is ATEN IC485S. If you are interested in it, I would call them to see when it will be back in stock.

EDIT: Dell has them for $38.99 here - http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...oductdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=04&sku=A0982867

EDIT: DO NOT BUY THIS ITEM UNLESS YOU ARE AN EXPERT OF SERIAL COMMUNICATIONS!!!
  8. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  9. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

They are $79 each! The ATEN ones, which I believe will work, and again will verify by tomorrow afternoon, are only $39 at Dell. Also, I should point out that SirNoName (who is the expert) has recommended an adapter that supports auto-mode. Basically, this means that you don't have to know anything, you just plug it in and it should work. You may need to tweak the switching time in the SCN5 plugin and name your actuators, etc..., but I think thats about it.

I personally prefer to have control over the mode that my adapter runs in and have chosen a model that requires a more complex initial configuration. However, once I have done this configuration, I will be sure to post it so that others dont have to go the route of trial and error.
  10. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I hope yours will work. I would prefer one that doesn't require external power, I'm waiting for your test results.

11. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

Well, round 1 did not go well for me either. I do not recommend buying the ATEN model that I bought. This model does not have a connection for ground, and the SCN5's appear to need this ground. I only had an hour to work on it today, but will have the entire day tomorrow to finish this out.
  12. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

The ground did not fix the problem. I have attached some documentation about my adapters and a revised version of the SCN5 wiring diagram depicting the differences between my four wire adapter and the other solutions presented here. On the other adapters shown in this forum, TR+ and TR- are grouped together. They are individual on my adapter. Also, my adapter does not have a ground, so I grounded the SCN5 to my PC, but am still unable to get the Profiler to discover my software.

SirNoName's idea to first connect to PC's with these adapters is a good one, but I dont have another PC with a serial port :(

My COM Port Settings are default, except I reduced the FIFO buffers to 1 for troubleshooting purposes.

I have tried the following connections:

This should work per the ATEN documentation

• Adapter T+ to White(2) on the SCN5
      Adapter T- to Green(4) on the SCN 5

I also tried this

• Adapter T+ to White(2) on the SCN5
      Adapter T-to Green(4) on the SCN 5
      Adapter R+ to White(2) on the SCN5
      Adapter T- to Green(4) on the SCN 5

Also, per this post and Ego's recommendation, I tried many of the possible checkbox combinations in the SCN5's. I closed the profiler and re-opened it after each change. This is sufficient right? I don't have to reboot between changes?

I have been shopping around for an Auto Fast TXD switching RS232<-->RS485 Adapter but I'm not finding anything under $100 each! If noone is able to offer any advice based on this documentation, could you please point me to where I can purchase an Auto Fast TXD converter?

ATEN-Manual-Page.jpg
    SCN5-Wiring-Blank-for-4-wire.jpg
  13. Ferrari_Man

Ferrari_Man Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 5Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN5, SimforceGT

The SCN5 you get with the FREX GP system, how much travel do they have? are they 50, 100 or 150?

Ferrari_man
  14. Ferrari_Man

Ferrari_Man Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 5Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN5, SimforceGT

Okay.. thanks..

I have sold my AVR controller and motors to my friend, because I don't have the time to work on it right now(!!school!!). But I think I will buy these SCN5 because it seems to be fairly simple after all the work you guys have don, and my parents can't find a christmas present for me :clap: ...

btw. I have made some changes on my gauges I will sent you them soon.. I just have a problem right now with getting the data from Force sender... (a new computer... with vista, I think thats the problem)

Ferrari_man
  15. dre99gsx

dre99gsx New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  16. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

Before I start he, let me first say that I am not an expert of serial communications, most especially RS485, so I appreciate all of your guidance.

My adapter claims to support full duplex and half duplex point-to-point.
    ATEN-Manual-Page.jpg

I DID FORGET THE RESISTORS. I assumed that when the switches on my adapter were configured for point to point half-duplex, that the adpater provided the resistance internally, but I am probably mistaken, and will try with the resistors.

The rest of my simulator is ready, and even if I order another adapter today, I have a few days to try to toy with this one before it will arrive :(
  17. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

1.) Self Powered
    2.) full or half duplex
    3.) controlled by RTS signal
    4.) Not provided by documentation. I am going to buy some resistors and try. I dont have a mulrtimeter :(
    5.) DCE / DTE selectable by switch

The manual states that DCE / DTE is switch selected and should be set based upon what device is connected. If SCN5 is DTE device then it says to set adapter for DCE. If SCN5 is DTE device then it says to set adapter for DCE.

I do not know if the SCN5 is DCE or DTE so I may have this switch set incorrectly.

Thanks you for your feedback!
  18. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

Thank you very much for helping me to eliminate some of the variables.

The adapter is connected with the included 9VDC 300mA power supply.

I tested witht the invert DTS option selected and deselected so I think I can rule that out as the problem

It looks like we have narrowed it down to my adapter not being equipped with an internal resitor.

I need to make a trip to the local electronics store for some resistors. I am using a 1.5m cable. Do you suggest 120Ohm or 220Ohm resistors? Am I correct in assuming that I will only need one resistor and that I can wire it between the T+ and T- as shown below?

I apologize for the crudeness of this drawing.
    Resistor-Placement.jpg
    Thanks again!!
  19. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

This adapter does not have LED's.

Here is an actual photo of the adapter with a few commments. This may help shed some light on things. I am off to the store to pick up resistors now. Thank you very much SirNoName for your time. I hope that I will be able to walk someone else through this later to return the favor and save you the time.

Current-Test.jpg
  20. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

I placed a 220Ohm 1/2 Watt resistor between T+ and T- per the first page of this post (see picture) and am still unable to get connected. I also tried the following in the SCN5 Plugin.

1. external powered by 9V power supply -> save
    2. cleared with the shown wiring -> save
    3. cleared, RTS switching / unknown: is RTS normal or inverted? (Tried invert RTS switch in both modes, SEE PICTURE)
    4. 220Ohm 1/2 Watt resistor between T+ and T- on the adapter (see picture)
    5. cleared, switch set to DTE -> save

220Ohm-Resistor-installed.jpg
    Attempt1.jpg
    Attempt2.jpg
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.