1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SCN5 / SCN6 Hardware Thread

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by egoexpress, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dre99gsx

dre99gsx New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: SCN5 Hardware Thread

Thanks Christian. I'll take burns suggestion and get these things done. I have the actuators just waiting on hardware to complete the frame.
  2. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I connected the actuators as described to a Rs-232 and the Rs-232 with a serial cable to a serial port in the computer. I made extension cables and tested the cables and they are fine. I didn't connect the killswitch wire.

Black to GND of RS485 adapter
    Red to 5V of RS485 adapter
    White to RS485- A connector
    Green to RS485- B connector

Connected the power to 24V 2A DC power supply. Measured voltage and it gets 24V. I hear a clicking sound when I plug the actuator in.

But I don't get anything in the profiler, and sometimes the computer crashes if the actuators are plugged in the serial port. Here is a picture of what the com ports look like and what I see in the profiler.

Any advice?

Attached Files:

3. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  4. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm not sure what you mean? I haven't done anything, connected the wires, installed x-sim2, started profiler, can't see any scn5 listed.

5. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here are some pictures of the adapter and instructions. The instruction are a little hard to read.

The screws on the 485 side of the adapter are labeled D+/A (white wire), D-/B (green wire), GND (black wire), +9V (red wire) - i don't know why it is labeled 9 when it is written +5V everywhere else.

Attached Files:

6. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Do you mean the 1st page of this thread? The software thread is relevant if there are scn actuators showing in the profiler since nothing can be configured until that's done.

7. dre99gsx

dre99gsx New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

1st page gives some details on setting up different types of RS485 adapters (automatic/manual). I believe there are settings in the SIM software to adjust them?
  8. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes, but I don't have them listed in the Interface Settings, so I can't set up anything and the computer acts weird when I plug the serial cable in (reboots, display goes blank etc). Maybe something is wrong with the adapters or the cable.

9. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Same results without the red wire connected (nothing detected), I have to wait and see if it reboots itself after a while (it's not right away ususally). Yeah, just locked up.

10. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So, connect the red wire to +5V, and the black wire to the computer (I am talking about the 4 wires connected in the beginning of this thread)? Leave D+/A and D-/B connected to white and green?

You say wireS, connect more than one ground to the computer? And connect it where on the computer? Sorry, this electricity stuff is making my head spin, never done anything electric, and I don't want to burn anything up.

Edit: I tried serial to usb and still not detected. Not sure if it reboots itself after a while or not, I can try waiting it out. Usually the screen goes black after 5-10 minutes and I have to power it off the computer manually from the button.

I also tried a Com test program not to actually test anything, but it hides a com port if it is used by something else and it won't show in the the available com port listing inside that test program.

Started the profiler then the com test and it was still showing all com ports as available. If i set the test program to use one of the com ports and start another instance of it, that com port is gone from the list. So, the profiler doesn't do anything at all.

11. dre99gsx

dre99gsx New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Serial - USB in Winxp should detect your adapter as a com-port eh? If your not seeing that something must be up with the rs485 connector you purchased.
  12. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ok, I am trying to get some pictures of the inside, if we ever get it working it should be a cheap alternative (only $6 each)

13. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It adds a com port through usb, the com port is there, just the scn is not detected. Yeah, something must be wrong with the 485-232 adapters
  14. dre99gsx

dre99gsx New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  15. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Front side (click and you can zoom in if you save them):

female (232) -- male(485)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back side:

male (485) -- female(232)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  17. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

[​IMG]
  18. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

I have acquired two ATEN IC485S (http://www.aten-usa.com/?product&cat=311&Item=IC485S)adapters for testing purposes. I will be testing this RS232<-->RS485 Adapter on Friday when I have some time.
    IC485S_A.jpg

According to the manual, they support Full-Duplex Point-to-Point communication via the following four-wire configuration:

T+ <--> R+
    T- <--> R-
    R- <--> T-
    R+ <--> T+

The adapter has a switch that I will need to set for either DCE or DTE depending on the device. Which is the appropriate or best setting for the SCN5's?

Also, these adapter have their own power / power supplies. Are there any known issues with this? Any helpful configuration setup tips that might save me some frustration are much appreciated. :cheers:
  19. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

[​IMG]

Once again, the picture above shows 4 checkboxes.
    If your adapter does not support auto-switching, you have to find the correct pair of settings by trial and error, if your adapters manual does not describe it.

regards
  20. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.