1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SCN5 / SCN6 Hardware Thread

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by egoexpress, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    SCN5 Adapters and Cables

I've re-read this entire thread to make sure I'm not missing anything, and it seems that so far, the only adapter that anyone has posted that is for certain functioning with the X-Sim software is the expensive one from Marai. At one point there was a post suggesting that if someone wanted to buy a commercial adapter, that they post it here to find out if it is compatible. Then, when I did that, it was suggested that I wait for the custom made cables / adapter sets that egoexpress is making because the testing procedure for commercial adapters has not yet been defined.

I'm about a week away from being able to hook everything up and begin testing, but I don't have an adapter / cable solution in place. I have found 5 different adapters that are reasonably priced, but it seems that if I bought one of them it will be trial and error and possibly wasted money? Also, I would still need to make cables. I thought I understood the cabling, but then discovered that Mirai uses two different color coding schemes when I re-read this thread.

**Egoexpress - How are your adapters / cable sets coming along, and may I buy two of the USB<-->RS485 from you if they are about ready?

If not, what can I do to help the process of defining a test procedure for commercial adapters, and documenting a wiring diagram?

Regards,

Bernard (bvillersjr)
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Re: SCN5 Hardware Thread

That's not right. The comport converters suggested by Sirnoname do work and are fast enough as well. I've made 3 of them yet.
    As well I have made some adapter cables recently.
    adaptercables.jpg

So everybody who has his frame finished with SCN5 actuators, can ask me for cables now.

Btw, everyone who has a COM-Port should go for the serial-converter. It is faster than USB, and you save an USB port for other devices. Once you've connected it, it does not make any difference anyway :brows:

But sure, you can wait as well for Thanos' USB version, or go for a commercial one.

Regards
    Christian
  3. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

Great news! I didn't know that you were ready, but my frame is built, and I sent it off to be powder coated. I should have it back within a week, so I'm anxious to come up with a cabling solution. Could I please purchase two of your. I will just go with the Com Ports and cables if you think they will be faster and are already available.

Regards,

Bernard (bvillersjr)
  4. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Sure, you've got a pm.

Regards
    Christian
  5. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Serial Card Options for Use with SCN5 actuators

Hello all,

My motherboard does not have serial ports, and I have decided to go with a RS232<-->RS485 adapter for connecting the SCN5 actuators to my system. Obviously, I need to purchase a serial card. I haven't had any need to do anything with serial devices since I last ran a BBS in 1994.....lol ;-)

I though that choosing a PCI serial card would be easy, but it turns out that there are more options than I assumed, and advertised maximum transfer rates seem to vary quite a bit.

Here are the specifications of a card that I am considering, which you can see here:

Bus Type: PCI 5V / PCI-X 3.3V
    Maximum Data Transfer Rate: 460Kbps (Note: Crystal will need to be adjusted to achieve 460Kbps)
    OS Support: Windows NT4/98SE/ME/2000/XP/Vista Linux
    Chipset: Oxford OX16PCI1952

128-byte deep FIFO per transmitter and receiver
    Automated in-band software flow control using programmable Xon/Xoff in both directions
    Automated out-of-band hardware flow control using RTS / CTS and/or DSR / DTR
    Maximum data transfer rate of 460 Kbps
    PCI 2.2 and PCI Power Management 1.0 compliant
    Two high performance 16C950 UART channels
    UART’s fully compatible with 16C550 type devices

So here are my questions:

1.)What is the optimal speed for use with SCN 5 actuators and the X-Sim software? (I've seen 460kbps, 980kbps...this one says 480kbps but requires a crystal adjustment)

2.)Is there a particular chipset that I should be looking for? Moschip seems to be popular Oxford is on this StarTech product.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
  6. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

*last two posts joined to SCN5 hardware thread*

I thought USB was slower than RS232.

Afaik USB speed is ~10ms, while RS232 speed is up to 2ms.
    If using a USB->RS232 converter, the max speed would be dependant from the slower USB I guess!?

Regards
    Christian
  7. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  8. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

I've found some info on USB speeds on http://www.usb.org/developers/usbfaq/#sig1 that claims:

Ok, the 10ms I had in mind, is the USB1 speed obviously :wacko:

Regards
    Christian
  9. njracer

njracer Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

hey guys, frex has put the scn5 actuators on their site for sale, he has them individually labeled for the right and left actuator and is charging 348.95 usd for each one. that seems like a good price but idk if the wiring is the same as what we'll need. what do you guys think http://www.frex.com/gpshop/catalog/defa ... 68ecca871e
  10. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
  11. charlypro

charlypro New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

HI Adgun can you post the link where you find the SCN5-010-100 to that price thank yuo.

Charly
  12. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Unfortunatly they just sell to asian corporate customers.

The Frex SCN5 have modified power-connectors, and I guess they lose warranty because of that.
    So unless you dont have a Frex setup, you shouldnt buy the replacement actuators from Frex imho.

Regards
    Christian
  13. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0

Hi Charlypro
    To find them: google with dyadic scn5,on page 4 you find tool-tobo ,and translate
    I tryed to post it yesterday but it,s to big.
    It's fore corporate customers i see now.
    This way i am not able to create a bridge.
    Regards Ad
  14. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

I have a corporation that I should be able to purchase them through. I'm not sure if thats any kind of special deal though. I bought the 150mm's for $475 each. I believe that the 100mm were quite a bit cheaper.
  15. dre99gsx

dre99gsx New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Download the SCN5 manual from MIRAI. Page 56 details the pinout from the motor. Build your cable form there, or just snip the connector and use your own. MIRAI did state motor end-cable colors are not always consistent. Use the pinout for the correct wiring.

I am interested in using the plug in for my SCN5s.
  16. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

I've added the killswitch into the scheme.

scn5wiring2.gif

Regards
    Christian
  17. dre99gsx

dre99gsx New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Statement ;)
  18. dre99gsx

dre99gsx New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Any update? I am in the middle of building my setup. Being that I am in NJ (USA), I would like to get the cables+rs485 adapter ordered if they are completed now rather than later. I can then test them. Please PM me with details if you must. Otherwise, can you recommend a commercial USB-rs485 or rs232-rs485 unit from the web (google)? I can also make my own cables, but wouldn't mind buying these from you. Thanks.
  19. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You can get a serial pci card like this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... BLET03SHIP
    and no 232 to usb cable needed then.

And 2 of these for 485-232 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0298949916 . I don't know if it works, but I'll try it, only $13 for 2.

Cables, get some of those small connectors from Radio Shack and some wires (they have them in with matching colors even) and you can make them yourself to extend the scn cables so you don't have to cut the original ones.

20. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Good.

Every adapter is usable, as long at it outputs RS485.
    USB->RS485 or RS232->485
    The SCN5 plugin supports them all.

Regards
    Christian
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.