1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SCN5 / SCN6 Hardware Thread

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by egoexpress, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Re: SCN5 Hardware Thread

@Sirnoname

Hab gestern die Bauteile für den comport converter bestellt. In der Stückliste in der pdf Datei sind leider keine genaueren Spezifikationen/Bauteilversionen angegeben.

Ich habe u.a. folgende Bauteile bei Conrad bestellt:

8Stk In wenigen Tagen 170046 IC MAX232AEPE+ DIP16 3,03 24,24
    8Stk In wenigen Tagen 154718 LTC 485 IN 8 LOW PWR RS485 TX/RX DIP 8 3,12 24,96

Ich hoffe die Bauteile sind zu verwenden...

Gruss
    Chrstian
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Yes, Sir.

Wer weiß, bei den steigenden Energiekosten :lol:
  3. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

The pcbs arrived today...

Clipboard01.jpg

Regards
    Christian
  4. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,214Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0

Looks great ego! :cheers:
  5. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

:clap: This is exciting!

Bernard (bvillersjr)
  6. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

I'm really not sure if this question is SCN5 related, SCN5 Hardware related, or software related. My guess is that the answer is going to involve multiple areas. Please forgive me if this is not the correct area for this post...

Here are the circumstances leading to my question:
    1.) When talking to to Mirai, I was told that the actuators have no limit switches.
    2.) When reading their documentation, I am unable to determine what the maximum shock load value of the actutaor is when in the off position.
    3.) I do not understand how the software centers the actuators without limit switches?

Based on the above, my question is this.... Suppose one of my cousins (children) were to hang on the back of my seat that is attached to SCN5 actuators while the actuators and simulator are powered down and not in use. Or, assume that someone slips when getting into the seat and their weight is quickly distributed to the seat back causing alot of pressure to be placed on the actuators. In either of these two scenarios, I have to assume that the actuator would move since I can't determine the shock load capacity based on the documentation. So, assuming that this movement was forced, when the hardware recieved power again and the X-Sim software was enabled, how would it, or could it center itself again? Or would my simlulator effctively be out of alignment, risking damage to the actuators?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bernard (bvillersjr)
  7. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Bernard,

please dont be an ignorant like this guy, who does let his kid play besides his operating simulator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHmPfVx1OEE

The SCN5 actuators will calibrate themselves everytime you power them up.
    With the aid of the built-in rotary encoder, which is attached to the motor, the internal controller is able to calibrate the actuator.
    It drives the rod slowly to its endposition, and when the controller does not detect any encoder movement anymore, then it does recognize this as like it would be a signal from a hardware switch.

I dont know about a max shock value. But your sim should not be a playground anyway.

Regards
    Christian
  8. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

That is great news. Thanks for the info. And BTW, that guy is nuts for letting his kid so close. Although I have no intention of having children anywhere near it, most especially while it is in operation, I would still like to see a safer design option. For some reason, my current rig, even without motion seems to somehow be a kid magnet.

Thanks again, you've made my buying decison alot easier.

Bernard (bvillersjr)
  9. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

I hope you guys check the starting posts of the SCN5 hardware and software thread continiously for updates, cause Sirnoname is continiously adding features to the plugin and the proper hardware thumbs2

For example he added the feature, to change the axis numbers of the SCN5 in the plugin. You dont need the software from Dyadic to do this anymore.
    Because of that, you just need a single USB or RS232 to RS485 converter, to be able to connect 2 SCN5 actuators!

Regards
    Christian
  10. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,214Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0

Great news!

Thanks Sirnoname!!!
  11. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Does someone have an idea how to test them? Is it possible to send data packages from one comport to another, while connecting 2 adapters in between?
    DSCF2317.JPG

Btw, there is a connection which is not plated-through on the picture, but I've fixed it already.

Regards
    Christian
  12. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

What do you think, how long should the adapter cables be?

0,5m or 1m? Or even longer? I need to buy wires tomorrow, and wonder how much I need.

Regards
    Christian
  13. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

Looking good! I assume that the USB's are next? Did you decide on a price yet?

Regards,

Bernard (bvillersjr)
  14. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

I've sent 2 raw USB pcbs to Thanos last week. When he will give green light, I will assemble some USB versions.

Regads
    Christian
  15. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

The RS485 adapter connectors arrived with delay, finally. Now I have all needed parts to make the adapter cables.

DSCF2318.JPG

Regards
    Christian
  16. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

How are the USB versions coming along? Also, is there any truth to the concern that someone else posted regarding the possibility of the USB adapters being slower? I cant understand why that would be, but I want to do my best to get this thing right the first time.

Regards,

Bernard (bvillersjr)
  17. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

In rFactor, with VSync disabled and all graphics settings at their highest level (Either Max or Full) and using 1080p resolution (1900X1080) I get a framerate that varies between 150fps and 350fps. This is measured by hitting CTRL-F while driving in rFactor or GTR2.

Since my VGA framerate is faster, will that allow me to send more updates per second to the actuators assuming that I purchase two USB adapters?

Also, the framerate is always lowest when starting a race, especially if you are at the back of the grid. Even with my video card, the FPS can sometimes drop down to 50fps at the beginning of a race that I didnt arrive in time to qualify for. Does this mean that the output to the SCN5's will be less smooth during this temporary period when the PC is trying to render not only my car, but the 20 cars in front of me?

Regards,

Bernard (bvillersjr)
  18. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

I dont think that a faster graphics card is an advantage over an average card. For example, even though my card is capable of an average of 250fps, and my motherboard (Nvidia SLI) is capable of tethering four of them simultaneously as one card, I find no reason for it. In rFactor, I use VSync intentionally, because it helps to reduce some flicker. That causes my framerate to be 60fps since the refresh rate of my DLP is 60Hz I think. I've ran some tests with VSync on and off, and my lap times in rFactor and GTR Evo are the same.

However, it sounds like it would be an advantage to my motion seat to turn VSync off.

Also, I was wondering, have you had anyone beta test version 2.0 who has an Nvidia motherboard? They are capable of alot of performance related things that others are not. For example, 4 graphics cards coupled as one, overclocked CPU, Overclocked memory, overclocked GPU. Moreover, I use temperature monitioring profiles, so that if the temp reaches a certain threshold, the motherboard will automatically throttle back the overclocking and kick the fans up an extra notch.

The reason I ask this, is because I wonder how, if at all, this will affect the timing of things in your software.

Regards,

Bernard (bvillersjr)
  19. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

I'm getting closer to finishing my seat design. I will be posting pics, etc... once I have tested and am sure of the design. In about 1 week or so, I should be ready for testing. Will the USB adapters be available, or should I look into commercial options? Also, I haven't seen any posts about commercial options. At one point SirNoName commented that if someone was considering a commercial option, that they should post some he could comment on if it was compatible. I did post a commercial one a few weeks ago, but you suggested that I wait for the ones you are building.

Given my timeframes, what do you recommend.

Regards,

Bernard(bvillersjr)
  20. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The prices Mirai wants for cables and adapters are crazy. It's like they make it especially in such a way that you end up paying $800 for a $475 actuator because of cables. What sane person will pay $300 to connect 2 actuators with some cables and connectors? It's way too much. The same for most other cable sellers. If you search with google there's a lot of stuff. I'm not a fan of buying anything from China, but for $8 you are not losing much (if you can't make your own adapters and connectors) http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q= ... &scoring=p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.